Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I go with my beautiful fiancee to Sam's club for some household items this evening and to meet some friends of ours for dinner at the local mexican place. The other couple is my coworker and his wife. He too carries. I acquired a S&W 340 a couple of months ago as a BUG/warm weather gun for pocket carry. I decided to carry it in my Galco Summer Special IWB for the evening stoked with .357 JSP. I had two speed strips in my pocket with Federal .38 Hydra-shoks. The overall carry package is very comfortable and lightweight and tends to make you forget you are wearing it. I have practiced with this gun and believe I am proficient enough with it to defend me and mine long enough to get out and away of the situation if need be. That being said, I just felt unnerved about how little and diminutive it felt on my person, on my stong side hip. This gun definitely packs enough punch. I just kept thinking how much better my Glock 23 in the HBE Com III would feel on my side (in my head). Or even my P228 in a Mitch Rosen Premier OWB.

My question is this who takes out there "no gun" gun for EDC/Primary and just feels weird and wishes they had their "big clunky" with them?

·
Registered
86 Posts
My carry is either the Glock 22 or my Ruger P. Something about the weight/size just gives me a sense of security. I from time to time carry a PT145 10+1...but feel the big boys are just a little more my type.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My EDC is my G20 and G29...depending on how I feel. Worse case scenario is the G29 10+1 with 2 10rd mags...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I usually carry my G23, but once in a while I just stick my Taurus 650 5-shot revolver, loaded with .38 Spl +P in my pocket.

The whole time I'm thinking, I really wish I had my 23 with me!

I know how you felt...almost naked.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
My edc when I'm not in my 18 wheeler is a Springfield XDM .40.
As the saying goes: "It's a big gun when I put it on, and it's big gun when I take it out."

The smallest guns I've ever carried were a glock 23 and a ruger p95. I just don't think I'd feel comfortable with anything much smaller than that.

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
My EDC was a Para-Ordnance P-14 (5" double stack 1911) and I sure do miss it over here. I have smaller, lighter guns I sometime carried (S&W 642 crimson Trace) but as has been said I always wished I had the P-14. The only comfortable alternative was the Glock 20.

I am coming home over Thanksgiving and I am looking forward to once again having that comforting weight on my right hip.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I don't have a tiny gun anymore. I got rid of my Bersa Thunder after putting exactly 0 rounds in or through it.

I got it at the height of the "Gun Run". Got rid of it about 2 months later when I couldn't find any rounds. I miss it now...

Lesson learned.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
My EDC is a SIG P220 SAS DAK

And yes, when for deeper cover I drop back to a smaller sidearm, on occasion, both the size and carry location feels strange.

·
Registered
712 Posts
If I can not carry my main gun, I carry TWO bugs. Yes, they are only 9mm and .38 but it does increase my fire power without reloading.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Not Me. I retired my G23 to home defense and have been carrying my CW9 for months now and never felt less confident in it's ability. +p 9mm vs .40S&W close enough for good defense IMO, + being that placement is the key in any gunfight. :hand10:

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
The wife and I went to the city yesterday, so I strapped on the XD 9 sc, put a full box of ammo in between the 2 mags. It felt comforting, but I took along the Kel-tec 380, it got left in the car, but it sure was tempting to exchange the 2 because the 380 in the pocket makes life easier.

Do I feel more comfortable with the "big clunky gun", no, but one would imagine if I ever found myself in a gun fight, I would sure be wishing for the big clunky gun, and maybe a 12ga.

Z

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
The wife and I went to the city yesterday, so I strapped on the XD 9 sc, put a full box of ammo in between the 2 mags. It felt comforting, but I took along the Kel-tec 380, it got left in the car, but it sure was tempting to exchange the 2 because the 380 in the pocket makes life easier.

Do I feel more comfortable with the "big clunky gun", no, but one would imagine if I ever found myself in a gun fight, I would sure be wishing for the big clunky gun, and maybe a 12ga.

Z
Carry both!!! I carry my P-14 strong side and my Grendel P-10 (grand daddy of the KEL-TECs) in my weak side hip pocket. When walking in real questionable areas I will "palm" the little 380 for instant access.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Wouldn't say "big clunky" but I know what you mean...

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Big and clunky? I dunno, some might call my S&W 686+ big and clunky, but hey it is a Smith & Wesson revolver, I just call her Lucille.
She is my preferred carry when the weather is cool enough to hide her, if not I'll carry the Kimber Pro Carry II, anything smaller like my S&W model 36 is a bug, never a primary carry gun for me.
If I'm feeling a little more outgoing, I'll bring Harriet along. Harriet is my 4" Model 29, and while she is a bit big, she's still good looking too:image035:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Jwhite75 i like this thread my EDC happens to be the S&W 340 M&P and i have to say for me I bought it as I wanted a small,very light but powerful carry gun that I knew would like serve me as primary carry a lot of the time. Having said that I've been thinking of getting a Glock 19,36 or a lightweight 1911 of some kind for IWB carry.

I love my 1911's but they just to heavy even with my good gun belts and holsters to carry. I have a lower back problem from a car accident in June. I've tried to carry my 5" steel 1911 but its a no go,to much pain. Now that being said I'm hoping a light weight version will maybe be the answer to this problem. I do sometime wish I had a bigger gun with me but the 340 is so light and easy to conceal and carry I don't feel unconfortable with it on my belt either.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I often carry an XD40 4" in an MTAC Minotaur when the weather is cooler, or if I just get the urge to carry it. Having said that, my every day gun is a S&W 642 loaded with 135gr +p Gold Dots, with the same in 2 speed strips. I can't recall ever being in a situation where I felt that I should have had the XD, but ONLY had the 642. That probably has to do more with just avoiding certain parts of town. I practice a lot with the 642, am proficient with it when shooting and reloading from the strips, and like the way it carries in a Mika or Nemesis pocket holster.

Cheers!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Nope. My CW 40 is just fine. It doesn't weight to much, and I don't have to carry a box of ammo between 2 mags. The chances of a gun fight are extreme, the chances of pulling my weapon are about the same so why be uncomfortable carrying a big gun around. My carry is defiantly comfortable and comforting. Besides if I do get into a fight I will not be wishing I had a bigger handgun I will be wishing I had my shotgun and rifle.

To each his own but there is not a lot of real difference between a 38+P, 357, 40, 45 at least in a defensive situation. Pick one you will carry all the time and carry it all the time.

Here is an example of muscle memory everyone is always saying is so important and why you need training. I hunt a lot of waterfowl have for years and always shoot a pump gun. Every once in a while some one will want me to try there auto or double. Well I know its an auto or double and have shot them plenty but when the birds start coming and the shots start heading down range you can bet your rear I will be pumping that auto or double.

So my question is we pack our weapons to be safe, practice with them to be ready but change them up for ease and comfort only to confuse our muscles and subconscious at a time when this is what most likely will save your life. Is this smart?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Can I reverse this?? I CC a P94..... yea, big, heavy.....clunky.......
I have never wished for a bigger weapon, but there have been plenty of times I wished I had something smaller to drag around on my hip......
Sometimes my back and hip really bother me after a long day of walking and carrying.....
I would prolly go to a chest mounted tactical holster, but prolly not very practical...... LOL
Maybe a back mounted 12Ga like mad max!
Anyway..... I guess I'm saying sometimes responsability SUCKS!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I carry my 1911 4" GSR as an EDC. My other weapons is are P229 .40 S&W and a S&W model 60. The S&W is harder to carry for me than the 1911. I can't seem to carry it IWB comfortly. The revolver in great for a reliable nightstand weapon or a pocket carry. I'm just not used to having something that large in my pocket.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts