Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious how it is to shoot a .410 and/or Colt 45 from one of these revolvers? How does the recoil compare to a .357 Magnum? That's about the only thing I have shot to be able to compare. That and a 45-70 Springfield rifle.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
The grips on the Judge at least the 3inch mag version I have fired not bad at all .Miled to me like a +P 38 at most ... Plenty of videos on the patteren on this online Hicock45 does a decent one .... Really the only two of these gun I would use is either the Goveren model s&w makes as it can handle 45acp on moon clips or the 3inc mag model of the Taurus as it can handle the full power 410 loads which are not much but at close range and the correct ammo might have a chance

Also Lehigh defensive makes a judge only 45lc round the size of a 410 round it is pretty nasty looking ..

To many the gun is kind of a gimcky .. I like them and shooting them ..But to me it is mainly a carry with 45lc gun ..Thoguh for snakes or maybe as a anti car jacking gun (ie hit him in the face with full spreed of buck and slug 410 might wave him off ) it is a great idea

Again we could have had a 28gauge model at one point but as no pistol round is that size for a handgun it is a AOW so never made ..

·
Banned
145 Posts
I had a S&W Governor. I like .45 Colt and have had several guns chambered for that caliber. Right now I have a Ruger Vaquero and Henry Big Boy rifle chambered in that round. I also had two Bond Arms derringers chambered for the .45 Colt and .410. I have never found those calibers to be a problem but then again I was a recoil junkie shooting .454 Casull, .44 magnum and a .357 magnum out of an 11 oz. snub nose gun.

You can get a .45 Colt loaded for Cowboy action shooting which is very mild or a load for Bears and Wild Boar that has a much greater recoil. My self defense Speer Gold Dots and Hornady FTX's were very manageable in the Governor as were the Federal ..410 buckshot rounds. Recoil is subjective. When I train a new shooter using .38 spl, I sometimes sneak in a .357 mag and not once has anyone said anything about it. However, if I tell them they are shooting a .357 magnum, the recoil is all of a sudden very strong.

I shot both rounds from a 2" Derringer with no problem. The only problem is that the guns that shoot these like the Judge and Governor, have short barrels and therefore do not get as much velocity out of these bullets as the regular guns designed for them. These guns also have very little rifling and accurate shooting of the .45 Colt is not as good in my other guns. They do have some good .410 ammo for the Judge that is optimized for the gun. I would not mind having one for home protection but the distances in my home are so short that I can point and shoot any gun and hit someone. My four home defence guns, one in each room, are 2 9mm, 1 .45 ACP soon to be replaced with a Sig in .357 Sig and a .44 mag S&W revolver loaded with .44 spl. I like big bullets having seen how a .45 ACP worked in Vietnam.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I've shot the S&W Governor. It's a nice heavy revolver so the recoil isn't brutal. I have NOT fired the Taurus, 'cuz I'm afraid someone would...see me.

IMHO, any gun (or other tool) that's intended to do more than one thing does so at the expense of ideally doing any ONE thing really well. :image035:.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I own a Taurus Judge and enjoy shooting it ever so often. If you want to shoot something that has a lot of recoil try the Bond Arms snake slayer. that thing left me with a bloody hand because the hammer jumped back into the web between my thumb and index finger. It took a while to learn how to hold it. I can shoot it now without getting hurt but the recoil is still rough. :gah:

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
I own a Taurus Judge and enjoy shooting it ever so often. If you want to shoot something that has a lot of recoil try the Bond Arms snake slayer. that thing left me with a bloody hand because the hammer jumped back into the web between my thumb and index finger. It took a while to learn how to hold it. I can shoot it now without getting hurt but the recoil is still rough. :gah:
Yep why I dont own the Bonds ..Had two and sold both due to the painful recoil

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
IMHO, any gun (or other tool) that's intended to do more than one thing does so at the expense of ideally doing any ONE thing really well. .

always been my thinking too.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The "Tar" isn't bad at all, prefer the shorter version , I now own two and the sole reason is "car guns" the wife is comfortable shooting them and carrying in the car to repel borders , both are kept loaded with the Winchester self defense load

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have one my wife bought me for my birthday a few years back. It shoots alot softer than one would think. I think the rubber ribbed grip make it feel softer in the hands.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wish they would make one of those Bond Arms derringers with a bigger grip, something I could wrap my 3 lower fingers around.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I shot a Public Defender... small light, and has a big kick with big loads... both .410 and 45 colt. About 10 shots was enough for me just for the fun of it. much more kick than any .357 I've shot.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I've shot the Judge and found it to be a fine shooter for both handling and accuracy. I never shot beyond 10 yards, but within that range it hit what I was pointing at and I never felt it was all that much to handle. I also briefly had a Bond Arms with a410/45 barrel. Pretty good kick but it was not enough alone for me to sell it. It was wonderfully made firearm. I just didn't shoot it enough to justify keeping.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
It depends...you can load it with bird shot and 45 cowboy loads and its a real ***** cat.

Or you can load it hot. There are a lot of companies making 45LC and .410 self defense rounds now - and some of those loads are down right nasty...check out a video on the Winchester PDX 410 ammo when you get a chance.

It can really be loaded from mild to wild - its up to you.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I shoot the Public Defender, really like it. I would say a .357 has far more recoil.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts