Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of posts here about gun belts. A few posts about kydex and hybrid holsters. But nothing in the past year on leather holsters or their makers.

So, who is your favorite leather holster maker and why? Whats your favorite style holster in leather?

Reactions: Old Man

·
Premium Member
4,317 Posts
I have two from James Nelson. Both for a 1911. For an everyday service application, they fill the bill.

I have one from Ryan Grizzle for the M&P9c. This one is done in elephant hide and is a beauty. More "Sunday go to meeting" than everyday use.

·
Super Moderator
19,305 Posts
Since the question was "favorite" and not "best," my vote is for Andy Aratoonian of Horseshoe Leather in the UK. My first good holster came from him and as his health is failing, I aim to get another before that resource goes away forever.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Favorite leather holster maker? Lobo Gun Leather.

Why? I started the company in 1972 as a young cop feeding two kids and paying the mortgage on skinny paychecks. It was a good little sideline business throughout my law enforcement career. After retiring I went on-line, built a website, and spent another 20 years cranking out a couple thousand products every year for customers in all 50 US states and 33 other countries. When I finally retired (2015) I sold the business to the Fedders family, good people who continue making my original product line along with some innovations of their own. I am very pleased with their product quality and commitment to customer service.

Favorite style of holster in leather? Depends on the intended use. For discreet concealed carry there is nothing better than the Lobo Enhanced Pancake model. For hunting or other field use there is nothing better than the Lobo Model 5. For range or combat competition I like the Lobo Combat Classic.

Of course, these are all my own designs so you will have to pardon me for being a little bit biased in my opinions.

Disclaimer: When I retired I sold all interests in Lobo Gun Leather. I remain as a consultant only (no financial interests). I still produce a brain fart every now and then that might result in a little design tweaking, and Mark, Alethea, Matt and the rest of the Fedder family will listen to my ideas (maybe humor the old guy a little bit). Being a consultant is serious business in itself, requiring that I dress better than I might otherwise choose, and I even shave once or twice a week these days.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Competition Holster: Snick (no longer made)
EDC Holster: Ed Buffaloe (makes simple, beautiful rigs for antique guns like my Colt's 1903)
EDC Holster: Bob Mernickle (makes high-ride rigs which work better than anybody else's)
Pocket Holster: Robert Mika (non-leather, custom-made, indestructible, stays in pocket)

Competition Belt: Me
EDC Belt: Me, and Bullhide Belts

Competition Magazine Pouch Sets: Me
EDC Magazine Pouch: Me, Bob Mernickle, or Safariland (metal clip)

I used to make holsters, but the listed makers are better at it than I was.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
For overall value, UBG Holsters. For the truly finest in leather and workmanship, either TT Gunleather or Nightingale Leather. Oh I know that there are many other makers who are very good: Sparks, Brommeland, 5-Shot Leather, Del Fatti, and a few more...but UBG, TT, and Nightingale are my current favorites.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Right now I’d have to say Bulldog leather belt slide of all things. I found a few in the bargain bin for about $10 each and bought several in different sizes just because it was too good of deal to pass up. They fit everything I have, conceal well and are unexpectedly comfortable. I use these damn things all the time. In the meantime my $1000 worth of other holsters sits in a box collecting dust.

E4083729-148E-41C3-88D9-C47CD0188855.png

·
Registered
671 Posts
There are many top quality holster makers. It is hard to argue with Sparks. Tony Kanaley, former owner of Sparks, contributed many unique and time-proven designs such as the VMII, Criterion, Nexus, etc. while continuing to produce (and improve on) many of the classic Bruce Nelson designs. Ken Null is another favorite who has continued to produce Paris Theodore, Seventrees, classic designs in addition to his own. Tim Thurner, TT Gunleather does very nice work. Of course James Nelson's innovative Stealth must be mentioned. Matt DelFatti must also be mentioned for his mastery of the craft and producing truly functional art. I personally am exceedingly impressed with the work of Josh Bulman, no longer in the business. There are several other talented designers and craftsmen.

I don't have a favorite design. There are pros and cons to each design. But, could I only have one holster, it would be a Summer Special variant.

My favorite holster maker is me. :embarassed: I make them as a hobby for myself, family and friends. Some examples:

1 - 20 of 99 Posts