Defensive Carry banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I have one of his SW Special holsters and love it, it's my go to when I'm carrying OWB.

For IWB, it's a Sparks VMII.
I’ve just ordered an Aegis Calypto AIWB from Little Bear. He sure is easy and pleasant to work with in helping make decisions. That holster looks like just what I want for AIWB. Can’t wait to get it now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,372 Posts
I have several Gary Brommeland DefCons and several San Andrews Monarch shoulder rigs. I do not have a Matt del Fatti, nor a Milt Sparks. Those two are big holes.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
There are many top quality holster makers. It is hard to argue with Sparks. Tony Kanaley, former owner of Sparks, contributed many unique and time-proven designs such as the VMII, Criterion, Nexus, etc. while continuing to produce (and improve on) many of the classic Bruce Nelson designs. Ken Null is another favorite who has continued to produce Paris Theodore, Seventrees, classic designs in addition to his own. Tim Thurner, TT Gunleather does very nice work. Of course James Nelson's innovative Stealth must be mentioned. Matt DelFatti must also be mentioned for his mastery of the craft and producing truly functional art. I personally am exceedingly impressed with the work of Josh Bulman, no longer in the business. There are several other talented designers and craftsmen.

I don't have a favorite design. There are pros and cons to each design. But, could I only have one holster, it would be a Summer Special variant.

My favorite holster maker is me. :embarassed: I make them as a hobby for myself, family and friends. Some examples:

Is that Alamo with the 229 Sig in it yours or the one you built for me?:image035: and yes you are my favorite holster maker

·
Registered
671 Posts
Is that Alamo with the 229 Sig in it yours or the one you built for me?:image035: and yes you are my favorite holster maker
Its a pic of the one I built for you.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
one of my favorite holsters, it was built for my P229 , easy on, easy off, once locked between my belt loops and the belt tightened down it carries like a dream, it seems to find it's way onto my belt quite often with either my 229 or recently this 227 SAS, love this holster Muzzelblast :yup:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Sub, that was an experiment. An awkward attempt at recreating Tony Kanaley's Axiom without infringing on his innovation. I am ashamed to say, it is ugly and wasn't given much love or detailing. Didn't use Pull-the-Dot snaps. Glad it has been useful to you, however. :wink:

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Sub, that was an experiment. An awkward attempt at recreating Tony Kanaley's Axiom without infringing on his innovation. I am ashamed to say, it is ugly and wasn't given much love or detailing. Didn't use Pull-the-Dot snaps. Glad it has been useful to you, however. :wink:
the most critical person of an artist's work is always the artist themselves, that holster far exceeds 90% of the holsters you can find on the maarket in both build quality and utility

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
here is the "Alamo" and my P229 on my belt this morning, over a year of hard carry on this holster now with the 229 in it,and that pistol is no light weight anything, holster still tight to the gun, still holding its form with no usage wear, it does have a few scratches and scuff marks but I wear this thing no mater what I'm doing , it has spent many hours of carpentry work in the cabin on my belt.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I’m not wedded to any particular holster maker, but I really like my IWB from Andrews Custom Leather and my OWB and mag carrier from Privateer Leather.

·
Registered
986 Posts
In order - Galco, JRCholsters, and El Paso holsters. I don't know if JRC is still doing business, but I have two of his holsters and I really like them.

·
Registered
617 Posts
For custom quality/detail: TT Gunleather
For best value (also excellent quality): UBG
For quick off the shelf: Don Hume

Although I have never bought one, I am confident I would add Nelson to the custom quality/detail based on other users experiences and posts on this forum.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Brommeland, Ryan Grizzle and Milt Sparks

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have 2 I like, El Paso Saddlery makes some beautiful rigs, they produce objects of art based on historic patterns. Simplyrugged.com produces a full line of leather holster/belts/ammo pouches. My EDC Bulldog rides in one of their "Silver Dollar Pancake Holsters" with my spare Speedstrip in one of their "Most Versatile Ammo Pouches". I have another identical set on order for my Detective Special. The workmanship is amazing.

61 - 80 of 99 Posts