Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
No idea who made em.

But I'm wondering about the absence of a serated edge and tanto tip. The design on the handle isn't the same and I can't tell it they are lock back or not. Judging by the skull thumb extenders, I'm guessing, one for the left hand and one for the right.

On a guess, I'd say it was you who made em?

Mike

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
nice, I like the barbed wire look to the handles.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I am no knife afficionado but from the pic - nice!

So - who made em?

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
My best friend, when he was active duty special forces officer, he had two combat knives made to be "sterile" that is unable to be identified as of American manufacture...he said it was just in case he "lost it in somebody" so nobody would be able to state that American troops were "in country." Other than for that narrow reason, I really don't see the reason for custom knives except as an ART FORM. There is no doubt that knives are incredibly beautiful in and of themselves when made by hand. Their utility is only a bonus, since most will never be used in that fashion. To me there are too many brands of ultra high quality (Spyderco for example or Boken or you name it) I myself prefer a Spyderco with a partially serrated blade in the middle and a smooth and sharp front end. I notice the initials "JB" on one of the blades, is that the maker's initials....would that be you?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Hmmmm.... Barry & Philip Jones are "Jones Knives", & I don't believe they do much "pretty stuff". Familiar lines, similar to Neil Blackwood, or Jeff Hall, but sure can't put a name to them. Like the thumb studs :diablotin

Are you one of those pervs (like myself) who spend entirely too much $$ for doubles of gear you like? :biggrin:

(The same "shannon" from Microholics?)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rob72 said:
Hmmmm.... Barry & Philip Jones are "Jones Knives", & I don't believe they do much "pretty stuff". Familiar lines, similar to Neil Blackwood, or Jeff Hall, but sure can't put a name to them. Like the thumb studs :diablotin

Are you one of those pervs (like myself) who spend entirely too much $$ for doubles of gear you like? :biggrin:

(The same "shannon" from Microholics?)
Yep I am the same shannon fromMicroholics.

The makers name is Jim Burke. These knives are built for those that view knives as mission essential. You just cannot tear these things up. The blades are S-30V and the handles are titanium. The designes on the handles are done with a torch so no two will look just a like.

Neil Blackwood? Do you mean this guy.

He was hanging out at Jims shop two weeks ago. It was cool hanging out with him.

·
Super Moderator
13,056 Posts
I like 'em!

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
ExSoldier762 said:
I really don't see the reason for custom knives except as an ART FORM.
That's exactly why I don't really see why anybody "needs" a SIG or an HK pistol or a high end 1911... :tongue:

It's all priorities. I own exactly one custom knife and have no plans to buy more at the moment.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Pretty is as pretty does, so to speak. If one is served equally well by a quality 'production' knife, but has no interest in its asthetic qualities or its 'uniqueness', then one has little interest in a custom knife. If, however, one admires not only the utility of the knife, but the qualities and the art AND science of a top notch build, then he will be enamoured by a custom knife built to his specs.
I am well served with my pair of Spydercos, but, just looking at the pics of the blades featured in this thread make me think that I ought to, at one time in my life, own a custom knife by a quality shiv-artist. Priorities reign supreme in a responsible person' s life: meeting needs before wants. Right now, I cannot afford a true custom blade, but when certain needs are met, and finances become available, I would love to further research the purchase of a 'me, me , me me me knife'. Made for me, to my specs, for no other reason than it would be linked to me thru its design and execution.
So, for most folks, quality productions will do. For others, nothing but a hand built, best grade pig sticker will suffice. The rest of us fall in the middle: likey, but no monee.
Yes, I like customs. Thank you shannon, for sharing those, and giving a few of us a taste of a custom.

Dan

·
Registered
749 Posts
The way I see it, and this is from a person who carries a folder and a neck knife...if I resort to a knife I f'ed up.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
If you haven't handled and used one, be careful about ruling them out. Some folks think a worked on Taurus 92 series has a great trigger, and is gnat-popping accurate.
It may be............for Taurus :biggrin: All in what you want to spend your pennies on. (I've got my second HALO coming today :cool: )

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Beautiful knives! If I had the extra $$$ to spend, I'd have a whole safe full of custom knives. But that's also a problem - they'd sit in the safe. :frown:

I love the skull thumbstuds! :biggrin:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is nothing wronge with a high quality production knife at all. That is what I carry. In fact the Benchmade 630 and 635 are so well built that they are not to far off from the customs that they were copied from. The handle scales and the blades are just a little thiner and the knife in whole is not as beefy as the custom but they are well made and as close to perfect in function as you can get. Spyderco has been makeing good knives for years and you cant go wronge with one.

Untill you have had the chance to use a custom made knife from makers like Jim Burke and Neil Blackwood you just cant comprahend the diff. They are built extra beefy for hard use and that is it. Jims knives are designed to be pretty to look at, they just turn out that way.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is a set of custom fixed blades made by Jim Burke. These knives were designed to be hidden. If you notice the J hook on the kydex sheath you will see that it was designed to be worn IWB. The blades are really thick but there are really no handle scales to add thickness so they conceal very well. One does have titanium overlays that have been heat colored with a torch for looks. Blades are made from S-30V.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts