Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading about this round back when I could remember a lot more [ along time ago!] It was a 45cal. and called the flying ashtray because of the size of hollow point cavity. Who made it and was it any good?

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Speer. Can't speak to the quality, but it was a 200 gr .45, and that never appealed to me.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
That is a memory lane trip! IIRC the biggest challenge was reliable feeding in 45 acp guns at the time. Other than basic 1911's there wasn't much else on the market and we know how the vintage 1911s didn't like such big HP. Seems it was in the late 70's maybe into the 80's. I'm getting a little fuzzy also, too much info for available circuits.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
.45 cal. 200 gr.0JHP made by Speer. Legend has it that you could take a cigarette and extinguish it into the hollow point.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
In the Sept 2009 issue of OnTarget, Mas Ayoob wrote an article about the Kahr K45 in which he recounts the origins of the "flying ashtray" moniker.

Excerpt:

Back in the day, Speer’s 200-grain jacketed hollow point was nicknamed “the flying ashtray” by the late, great gun writer and Outstanding American Handgunner Award recipient, Dean Grennell. He wasn’t exaggerating this bullet’s wide-mouth profile. In the time before high-tech bullets, this was the top-performing jacketed .45 hollow point in street shootings, because when it expanded, it expanded wide, and even when it didn’t it still chopped a wide track through flesh and bone. It was also the ultimate test of .45 auto pistol reliability, because its combination of wide frontal surface and relatively short overall length made it difficult to feed. It was also pretty darn accurate.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
I've still got 5 boxes of this round in storage from days gone by. My milspec 1911's that were throated fed them like no one's business. Carried that load on the streets for quite a few years, from about 83-88 or thereabouts.

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
.45 cal. 200 gr.0JHP made by Speer. Legend has it that you could take a cigarette and extinguish it into the hollow point.

Wow!

So, the 200 gr. .45 ACP Speer JHP Flying Ashtray "evolved" into a .38 Special HBWC loaded backwards, then into the Federal .38 Nyclad SWCHP, and ultimately into the Gold Dot JHP.

What a load of nonsense!

Reactions: pete950

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
LOL!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts