Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad is finally looking at purchasing his first pistol. His requirements are as follows: Crisp trigger, .380 or 9mm, easy to rack the slide, easy to use, and around $400. I was thinking the Walther PK380. Who has one and how do you like it?

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
I dont ..Heard not much good about it

If you do dont get a old model PK380 Recall Notice - Walther Arms

oh and they are not really made by Walter but a Airsoft company

The plus to it is as you noted it is easy to rack and soft shooting ..But there have been a lot of relibity issues

That and they are bigger guns so not pocket carry ..

From what I hear though the latter geneation is a lot better so make sure you do go with the newest model if you can ..

oh and dont forget it has a paddle mag on it not a normal button mag ..I am use to Euro guns so it does not bother me but some american shooters dont like it

And as alwasy let him pick the gun all you need to do is make sure he does not pick a suicide special ..Let him fire,takedown etc the gun in question

Reactions: kristo

·
Registered
194 Posts
Forget the PK380 and get a real Walther. My P99c is with me always..except in the shower. The PK380 is one of those oddities that just doesn't fit a single useful niche. Much better carry options and cheaper cartridges for plinking.

IMG_0940.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
One of the requirements was "easy to rack the slide." Not a pain in the ass to rack the slide.lol. P99c's are notorious for hard racking, mine included. My young hands love it though. I recommend the Remington RM380. Reliable, easy to rack, affordable, smooth trigger. Depending on the size of his hands, the trigger does break a little close to the grip. I have xl glove hands and i just use the last joint on my trigger finger to shoot. The p938 and 238 are like butter but are above your budget. Walther CCP sounds right up his alley if 9mm is a must. Not sure about ease of use as I'm not familiar with the breakdown of the gun.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I missed that requirement though I don't find my P99c to be tough. But I agree the CCP would be a perfect choice. The gas delayed recoil system makes the slide easy to manipulate and softer recoil for 9mm. Excellent ergos with a fantastic grip and pointability. Not too expensive either. Somewhere around $400 I think. Field stripping is s bit odd but can be done easily once you get used to it. Pretty sexy looking too in my opinion.
http://14544-presscdn-0-64.pagely.n...4/03/1743740_237360723054285_1568687018_n.png

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
I missed that requirement though I don't find my P99c to be tough. But I agree the CCP would be a perfect choice. The gas delayed recoil system makes the slide easy to manipulate and softer recoil for 9mm. Excellent ergos with a fantastic grip and pointability. Not too expensive either. Somewhere around $400 I think. Field stripping is s bit odd but can be done easily once you get used to it. Pretty sexy looking too in my opinion.
http://14544-presscdn-0-64.pagely.n...4/03/1743740_237360723054285_1568687018_n.png

Again reviews are rought ..Limited support and you need a tool to take down ...I much rather shell out and have the real thing a P7M8

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
If you want a good .380, I would go with either the Bersa Thunder .380 with a 7 round mag, or the Bersa Thunder .380 Plus which uses the double stack 15 round mag.

...."when shooting little bullets, its good to be shooting lots of little bullets." - Mass Ayoob.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Walther CCP sounds right up his alley if 9mm is a must.
Unfortunately he doesn't care for the trigger on the CCP at all. He is PICKY when it comes to triggers. The search to find him a handgun has been going on for almost a year now.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I go back to my first suggestion and let him try racking the slide on a P99c or PPS. I find racking even a tight slide is easy with the proper technique. You simple grip the top of the slide (preferably overhand) and push the gun forward with the firing hand while either holding the offhand still or simultaneously pulling back.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My Wife has the PK380. She carries it daily. Number one reason for picking it, easy to rack slide. You guys can talk about technique all you want as it pertains to slide racking but my wife has been to multiple training classes with this gun and tried others and with the PK380 she can easily run the slide. The pistol has been reliable. it is not as robust as a Glock but the .380 doesn't put a lot of stress on the pistol anyway. I have returned glocks, sigs and springfields for factory service so brand does not guarantee you wont have an issue.
Upsides, great ergos, low recoil, accurate.
Down sides to the pk, not a lot of aftermarket stuff, like night sights. .380 is about 50% more $ to shoot than nine and it is anemic at best. I had to repaint the white dots in the sights because from the factory they are plastic inserts and one fell out of my wife's pistol. I have offered to buy her anything else she wants whenever she wants it but she loves her PK.
Me, I prefer 1911's but my daily carry is a G26, my pocket gun is a Sig938 and I'm looking to replace that with a kahr PM9.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
He should at least check out the Taurus PT111 G2. My wife's has been brilliant with about 400 rounds thru it so far.

It's striker fired, but is actually a single action so it has a fairly crisp trigger. It's as easy to rack as any 9mm I have seen, which is a reason I bought it for my wife.

At $200 (Kentucky Gun Co and Palmetto) they are an absolute steal.

Gun Review: Taurus PT111 Millenium G2 - The Firearm Blog

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
My dad is finally looking at purchasing his first pistol. His requirements are as follows: Crisp trigger, .380 or 9mm, easy to rack the slide, easy to use, and around $400. I was thinking the Walther PK380. Who has one and how do you like it?
The PK380 is a solid good shooting firearm. Easy to rack, not to heavy, ergonomics are fine and it really is not an issue to take down, even with needing a tool. Love it!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
If 380 is his preference I can highly recommend the P-P-K/s I purchased mine used in the early 80's and it's as solid as they come. It has to be 40 yrs old and has never once had a failure of any kind. And it eats every type of 380 ammo I've put thru it
without a hiccup. Add to that being super easy to conceal and the PPK/s makes for an ideal CC pistol...IF 380 is your caliber of choice.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
If 380 is his preference I can highly recommend the P-P-K/s I purchased mine used in the early 80's and it's as solid as they come. It has to be 40 yrs old and has never once had a failure of any kind. And it eats every type of 380 ammo I've put thru it
without a hiccup. Add to that being super easy to conceal and the PPK/s makes for an ideal CC pistol...IF 380 is your caliber of choice.
I have to say after owning a PPK/S for 15 years, I am not a fan. It's one of those guns that works ok, but is brutal at the range. The last time I shot mine my hand was literally bleeding after 50 rounds. And the problem with carrying it is how do you know it still works if you never shoot it?

After that, I put it on consignment at my LGS.

·
Registered
194 Posts
PPK/S is a sexy gun but the blowback action makes racking the slide much more difficult than locked breech design.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I have to say after owning a PPK/S for 15 years, I am not a fan. It's one of those guns that works ok, but is brutal at the range. The last time I shot mine my hand was literally bleeding after 50 rounds. And the problem with carrying it is how do you know it still works if you never shoot it?

After that, I put it on consignment at my LGS.

hmmm, I've never experienced a problem with mine, either from function or from handling it. I guess they're not for everyone,
just like anything else...guns, cars, cell phones, you name it...variety of selection insures there's something for everyone.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
hmmm, I've never experienced a problem with mine, either from function or from handling it. I guess they're not for everyone,
just like anything else...guns, cars, cell phones, you name it...variety of selection insures there's something for everyone.
Oddly I have the same problem I dont own any ppk or ppk/s in 380 they were really not made for that round imop ..They kick hard and bad imop ..The 32 and 22lr models I love and carry but I will only touch the PP in 380

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree with the Bersa Thunder, I don't own one but heard a lot of good things about them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts