Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out this guy using a G26 at 25 and up to 80 yds. I think it's about 5 minutes into the video when he hits the 80 mark. I found it pretty interesting just how accurate the SC models can be in the right hands, which mine are not it, but it gives me inspiration none the less.:hand10:

Anyway, I thought it was cool and informative for anyone on the fence regarding sight radius and accuracy.

GBK :bier:

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Some guns are inherently more accurate than others.

I can make a 8" group with my BE full size (4.72" barrel) .40 S&W at 100m shooting off a table. The amount of energy it has left at that point....I have no idea. Might have all the force of a paintball gun at 15m. Just leave a nasty bruise.

It may come down to effectiveness vs accuracy at extended ranges.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point ballistically for sure. I've just never thought of a SC being that accurate though. On a couple of the 80yds, he hit pretty close to on center with the 9mm. For me, thats awesome from a 3.5" barrel. :hand10:

·
Registered
967 Posts
Cool, never tried to shoot and such range. I may just give it a wirl. I'll start a 50yrds and go to 80. This will be with my UC II Kimber. I might bring the camera and document it.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
It's different. At 100m, the 16" x 16" steel plate was the height and width of my front sight. Covered it edge to edge and across the top. BANG....................ding.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I have seen a FEG PA 63 9X18 fired at 100 yards hit a 8in. target and penetrate the sheet of plywood the target was mounted to and just keep going.

I do not know about ballistics at 100 yards for a pistol round, but I don't want to be hit by one at any range!!

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Bob Munden as been filmed hitting a balloon at 200 yds...with a snub nose revolver

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have started shooting some of my pistols at 50 yds... so far I am pretty accurate with my 22 target pistol, I can put 85-90% in a 6in dirty bird target and with 1911 45 I can put 70% on a large paper target with about half of those in an 10" circle. That is mostly benched slow fire. I can hit them standing no rest. The guys that can group @ 50 and beyond are really good and it is neat to see!

·
Super Moderator
18,501 Posts
Many years ago (much better eyesight and hands back then) after disagreeing with the local range “expert” as to the inherit inaccuracy of a snubbie I fired a six shot, ten inch group at 100 yards with a 2” Colt Detective Special from a benchrest.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Check the rest of the guys videos Hickok45 does some 200+yard shots. He's pretty good, and fun to watch.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I LOVE my G27, my main carry gun...I had the land to shoot like this guy does & wish I could shoot half as good as he can.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I am call dibs!!! He is on my team!!

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts

I can make a 8" group with my BE full size (4.72" barrel) .40 S&W at 100m shooting off a table. The amount of energy it has left at that point....I have no idea. Might have all the force of a paintball gun at 15m. Just leave a nasty bruise.

It may come down to effectiveness vs accuracy at extended ranges.
At 100 yards, the 180 Gr. Speer Gold Dot load is still carrying 325 Ft/Lbs of energy and moving over 900 fps.

It's going to inflict a whole lot more than a bruise....

Detail Page for Part # 23962

By way of comparison, that's more than the .38 Special +P Gold Dot makes at the muzzle.

Matt

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I think Bob Munden shot a baloon with a derrenger at quite a long way off. I think I saw it on "Shooting Gallery" or maybe one of the other shootin shows.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've hit a 55 gallon drum consistently at 100 yards, but that was from a rest with a Ruger Super Blackhawk and full bore .44 mag loads, nowhere near the same thing. The 80 yard shots with a sub-compact are a lot more impressive.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Bob Munden as been filmed hitting a balloon at 200 yds...with a snub nose revolver
Yep I saw that same 'challenge' between he and Jerry Miculcek on Shooting USA last summer.
They both can do it and no doubt others can too.

~~~

To the OP,

Short barrel/short frame handguns though are largely purposed for ease of concealment and pocketability.
With a shorter barrel length thus sight radius decreases resulting in increased effort to aim with accuracy and by that increased variance in accuracy.

Short barrel/compact guns are not inherently inaccurate. It's just that it's more difficult for an individual shooter to be more accurate with them as opposed to that of having a longer sight radius.

Exact same is the case with all matter of shotguns regardless of barrel length and rifles as well.
It's basic physics.

- Janq

·
Registered
261 Posts
I, and persons I shoot with, regularly shoot at 100-200 yard targets. It really is fun, gives you lots of practice & really shows your bad habits!!

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
One of the guys I used to shoot PPC with used to win matches shooting his 2 1/2" custom revolver up against other guys with 6" custom revolvers.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
And some guns match a person's "sweet spot" of balance, ergonomics, proportions, recoil. Of a dozen pistols I have shot and owned over the pat 17yrs, I have had one like that, after getting used to it, it was by far the most accurate gun in my hands that I have ever used. (Think: "idiot savant" accurate. Go figure.)

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
200 yards is a blast with a pistol. Even better is a newbie that does it for the first time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts