Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont know if this is the right place for this, I figured IDPA fall under "tatical training" but just wondering who also fell in love with this? I went one time, and was hooked, however I am not in it for the competition, all though it does make everyone work that much harder, but better to learn more and feel comfortable with my gun. I wasnt too im pressed with the guys that have their IDPA gun and then their carry gun, just my opinion. Although I have to say shooting anything is better than not shooting at all....

·
Administrator
21,269 Posts
I just started back in September. It's a good way to shoot a good round count and it's different every time I go so the routine varies. Beats the hell out of a basic range trip any time. While it's no substitute for a good training class where you can develop and work on specific skills, it's still good at keeping current on the basics.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I shoot it on a pretty regular basis. Of course, I am one of those people who has an IDPA gun and a carry gun. The primary reason for that is that my carry gun, a SP101, doesn't hold enough rounds to make shooting SSR worthwile. I shoot a six shot, 4 inch revolver in SSR. I do shoot the SP101 whenever I can make a BUG match. When I shoot CDP I do shoot my duty gun, but I'm mostly shooting SSR these days.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand completely the competition side of IDPA and why and how its nice to have more than one gun. All that I was saying is that for me and right now, just my EDC gun is fine for shooting, but I sure do love it!

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
I shoot end enjoy IDPA, and shoot one of the guns I carry. I usually use a belt holster for IDPA as opposed to an IWB, but it's my carry gun I am shooting.

Matt

·
Registered
146 Posts
I shoot IDPA with my carry gear. I'll switch between ESP and CDP depending on caliber, but the gun is always a commander-sized 1911. It's a load of fun, but it's also a great way to get your carry gear into action. Standard range time is necessary to develop basic skills. But an action format like IDPA is a necessary step beyond standard range time to get you really used to drawing, acquiring targets, shooting under a little pressure, etc. It's not "training" like a Gunsite class would be, but it certainly is good training for developing skills and muscle memory for carry.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I started back in 2003. I still try to make at least 1 IDPA match a month along with a USPSA match. I also slip in a ICORE once in awhile.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
I too shoot IDPA, ESP & CDP.

I run the exact same belt, holster (always IWB even during the Qualifier), gun, magazines and what ever clothing I wore on the street that day. I once showed up wearing a suit because that is what I wore that day while carrying, a Colt Defender which I also ran for the match.

I more look at IDPA as being trigger time and opportunity to get it wrong.
A place where it's safe to make mistakes and if you drop a shot or hit friendly you can smile it off and learn a good lesson.

- Janq

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I haven't in awhile due to finances, but hope to be back at it soon. I like it alot. I too use my actual EDC.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been shooting IDPA weekly for about 4 months now. I use my carry gun and feel that it's improved my shooting a lot. In fact, tonight will be my first low light scenario, can't wait. I too am hooked!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just started participating this year. I have been keeping pace with 2 IDPA shoots a month and am really enjoying it.

I try to use my carry gear for practice, the only notable substitution I make is my magazines. Instead of my G19 factory mags, I shoot IDPA with KCI mags. The KCI mags have been pretty unreliable with around 2 FTF's per match. I find that this offers a good opportunity to practice clearing under pressure.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ahh well thats a different way to practice but good thinking.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I've shot IDPA before, but I don't use my daily carry gun or holster. I'd use my daily gun if I could use my daily carry set up, but none of the multiple carry modes I use are legal for IDPA. So I use guns I would not conceal carry in holsters that wouldn't really conceal.

Good practice and can be fun (or a pain in the neck, depending).

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Unfortunately IDPA is my practice time now (1x per month), so I shoot IDPA exactly the way I carry all day, every day. Tucked IWB, and generally in my work uniform, including my cell, and flashlight. The only difference is I carry a second spare mag in my back pocket for the IDPA.

My last classifier I shot a 173.23, vs my first classifier 1 year earlier was 200.23. NOTE - I am one of a handful of shooters that wears a cover garment for every shoot, and the only tucked IWB. Pretty much everyone else shoots OWB/OC with open mag carriers. We can not legally require cover garments due to CO law.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I've been doing IDPA/USPSA for about 4 years now. In IDPA, classifier times are high 70s. It's great fun, and puts you in diverse shooting situations. The style varies wildly from club to club. Some are USPSA-lite, and some do a fair job of making an actual practice session.

Since we run both IDPA and USPSA, our IDPA is leaned harshly toward "realism", and the guys can get the game play and the high round counds at the USPSA match. Some long term CCW types actually said "I'd never shot from retention before I started shooting with you characters!" We do that in 2 stages per match, generally.

Depending on the club, it can be a real eye-opener! (But please don't look at it as "training". It's not. Get an instructor and take a course, this is a game)

Dan

·
Registered
260 Posts
I just started shooting IDPA. I shoot exactly like I carry. Walther PPS, OWB, shirt over. I am simply trying to improve my CC skills. I am focused on quick time an COM hits, either the "zero" score or "-1" with fast times on closer targets. Quick gun retention and first hits.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I try to shoot IDPA every other month and USPSA every month. I use one of my EDC (XD9 service or Taurus PT1911) for both.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I am a regular, and have been shooting IDPA for about 2.5 years now. I mostly shoot CDP, but I have shot and qualified in all 5 divisions.

I have two guns (P220 and P239) that I carry when I visit other States. They both get shooting time, and my defensive shooting is definitely part of my IDPA skill-set, but I shoot IDPA for fun, competition, and general trigger time practice.

We have guys that shoot for pure competition. We have guys who shoot just to make a loud bang and use up ammo. We have guys who put dummy rounds in their IDPA mags to practice clearance drills on the clock. Ain't a one of them who is doing it any more right or wrong than anyone else, as long as they all do it safely. :hand10: It's a game. You get as much out of it as you want.

(Eagerly awaiting the return of my Bruce Gray-tuned P220 Stainless Elite for upcoming matches!!!! :biggrin2:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts