Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this has already been asked, but how many of you guy's and gal's wear a shoulder holster and are they practical?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I wear a Mitch Rosen shoulder holster. Its a "armpit" rig, rides fairly high and is of excellant construction. For most purposes they are very practical. Some dont like them, some do. In addition I carry a S&W 642 in my pocket. I can get to the Smith faster. But I can blow a bigger hole in ya with the XD45 under my arm. Always carry 2 guns as they are mechanical devices and are presumed to fail. That being said I have never had a failure with either gun or any gun that I carry.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I do occasionally wear a shoulder holster. It's a "generic" nylon holster I picked up at a local gun show around 6 months ago. It holds my G26 horizontally & has two magazine holders for a combination of either 2 magazines or 1 magazine & a small flashlight. It's very comfortable to wear as well. I do plan to buy a quality leather shoulder holster in the future.

I wear my shoulder holster mostly when I go out when I wear a jacket as the weather gets cooler outside. I have found that wearing a shoulder holster once adjusted properly is very comfortable to wear.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
I do on occasion. Wardrobe and weather permitting it is a very comfortable way to carry.

·
Registered
139 Posts
As long as you can keep a cover garment over them, they work pretty well.

Advantages for me?

Driving a car is comfortable.

A trip to a public restroom goes well. (You won't "completely" get caught with your pants down that way.)

If cover garment is unbuttoned/unzipped you can easily draw (no sweeping the garment back).

I prefer to draw from a horizontal rig but my larger guns need the vertical one to conceal well.

I know the "one-gun" "one-carry" method is ideal but it doesn't work for me.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I occassionally wear a Bianchi Scorpio rig for my 3" S&W model 65. Years ago (way back in the early 1980's) I carried a 6" Colt Python in a Bianchi X-15 rig. They both work very well for their intended purpose. The only adverse problem I had was if they were worn too long my neck muscles might get a little sore.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I have a Bianchi 9R for the J frame that I occasionally wear in the winter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My husband carries a Taurus PT92 in his shoulder rig comfortably. He is a rather large guy and it is easier to conceal a full-frame pistol than a "concealed carry" type pistol. He finds his shoulder rig comfortable and easy to conceal, as he normally wears some type of overshirt or jacket.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I sometimes wear an underarmor short sleeved undershirt which has a pocket under the armpit which fits my G27 well and a second similiar pocket below the other armpit for mags. I like it! Deep concealment and easy for carry. The biggest disadvantage is its slower to reach the gun than my IWB holster.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I occasionally wear a leather Galco horizontal shoulder rig --- primarily on long drives cross country. It's more comfortable in the car, and makes restroom pit stops easier. Easy to conceal in the winter, not so easy in the summer. A good option to have on hand, but a quality rig is not cheap.

-Seawolf

·
Super Moderator
17,288 Posts
I have an old Safariland model 19 shoulder holster I use for a Colt Detective Special on long road trips, very comfortable and secure.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I DO & have for years. All have been "Custom Jackass' ( sim. to Miami's) when carrying a snub nose revolver ( currently a SP101) It is one of my "Primary Rigs.

Advantages=
1. Access while sitting
2. Good access in PP situations
3. Has less of the "drawbacks" than most Types ( see below )
4. A Jacket, casual or suit, covers
5. Comfortable

Draw backs ( all shoulder rigs, IMPO)
1, Easier to "spot"
2. Easier for the BG to defend against ( shoulder holsters are the easiest to "stop the draw @ CQ. The jackass, with "practice, IMHO, is the hardest to stop the draw, esp. with a revolver.
3. Drawing Takes "practice" (esp. for your own safety)

Below a pix ( poor) of the rig)

Puffer

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I have a Galco Miami Classic that I've had for years. I use it on occasion under a winter jacket or sweatshirt to carry my Ultra Carry. They are comfortable, but do have some drawbacks as mentioned by some of the other posts...

·
Banned
1,972 Posts
i use a carry-lite to carry my G23 and it is very comfortable when having to drive a sports car. So I tend to wear a button down shirt or a jacket over it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Have carried the Galco Jackass rig for years with a full size Glock 20. The main advantage of the Jackass setup is that the pistol is carried at a 45 degree angle, muzzle elevated, making concealment easier especially a full size gun. Cover garment is a western style snap shirt which gives good cover and access all year round. As already stated they're comfortable and they work.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Galco Jackass rig. It took me awhile to get it adjusted to my comfort, so during that time I looked like Rodney Dangerfield as I was tugging at my cover shirt a lot. Now it rides comfortably, with just an occasional adjustment if I am moderately active.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I have trained for so many years with my weapon on my right side that I would have to expect that in the heat of battle, my hand would not reach up to a shoulder holster before it tried to find my weapon where it has always been! :blink:

Besides, I think it's uncomfortable. :tongue:

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I use a Galco Jackass rig quite a bit since the weather in my area requires the wearing of jackets for much of the year. They're very useful when you're behind the wheel a lot and you for whatever reason heaven forbid you need to get to your firearm in a hurry while strapped into your seat. I find them also useful while lounging around the house in sweat pants or boxer shorts since shoulder holsters don't require the support of a belt and pants (unless you use the tie down straps).

My first shoulder holster was the Blackhawk Serpa shoulder rig which wasn't too bad because it enabled me to use the same rig for all my guns, all I had to do was change out the holster. Then one day I was at a buffet and one of my XD45 magazines fell out of the rig and onto the floor. The Blackhawk double stack mag carriers don't have very good retention so from then on I've only used leather shoulder holsters with snap retention. They're also the only kind of holster I like thumb breaks on.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts