Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Interesting poll conducted to see how many people would want a firearm if there was a manhunt in their neighborhood similar to what happened in Watertown, MA after the Marathon bomber event. It's interesting to me how opinions vary by political perspective, gender, and other factors. I'm pretty sure I know what people on DC.com think, but what do you think about the poll results?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/int...oll-during-manhunt-6-percent-voters-want-gun/

·
Registered
586 Posts
Why in the hell would you not?! Seriously, why not? Especially if you are not alone and are protecting family? I don't understand the ?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why in the hell would you not?! Seriously, why not? Especially if you are not alone and are protecting family? I don't understand the ?
Well, the question arises since the poll shows that 50% of non-gun owners said they would not! That is what I'm so curious about.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
53 Posts
Maybe they are afraid they may be shot by an officer mistaking them for the BG. I would want a gun in my hand, round chambered, safety off.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I changed the post title to better reflect the question.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Because they can't accept responsibility out of fear of failing themselves. If they proceed under the notion that their safety is the responsibility of the Govt and Police, then if anything bad happens it is the fault of the Govt and Police, not the individual. They would rather risk the safety of their family than risk their own failure if they take responsibility for their safety. It's a basic denial mechanism.

·
Premium Member
10,172 Posts
Because they can't accept responsibility out of fear of failing themselves. If they proceed under the notion that their safety is the responsibility of the Govt and Police, then if anything bad happens it is the fault of the Govt and Police, not the individual. They would rather risk the safety of their family than risk their own failure if they take responsibility for their safety. It's a basic denial mechanism.
Excellent response BugDude.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts

Well. When you put it like that... :blink:

I have no doubt, that is their subconscious mindset. (certainly not the mindset of a survivor).

We have a word for it. :sheep:

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Excellent post............sadly I know those people and it's nearly impossible to ever see any of them wake up.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Half of non gun owners wanted a gun seems pretty good, but why in the world would 11% of gun owners not want one in a manhunt situation?

I guess they own but don't know how to use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
What's good about it is that 50% of non gun owners would want a gun in that circumstance. I see that as a positive.

Reactions: squid86 and ep1953

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
There's another subset of non-gunowners that recognizes and accepts they could not responsibly own a firearm. Just this week in a discussion with a non-gunowner (not really an anti-gun person per se) at work, I was explaining the concept of once the individual is no longer a threat then self defense ends. For example, lets say a person is attacking you and your wife and they have a gun and you take it away from them. At the point they are no longer armed and you are, they no longer pose a lethal threat (assuming the attack doesn't continue once they are disarmed). He admitted to me, "The problem is, I don't think I could stop. I'm not sure I have the discipline to use a firearm judiciously." At least he was honest about it. I told him that if he wasn't sure of how he would handle it, then it wasn't the right thing for him.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
what do you think about the poll results?
Polls done for political purposes tend to be slanted and skewed, for all the ugly reasons. Without knowing the poll's design and method, it's hard to judge any given poll's veracity.

What do I think of the idea that a majority of a state's residents would want effective ability to protect themselves and their families during times of extreme threat? I think folks are pretty sensible, when the rubber meets the road, instead of merely when they're being politically fondled to death.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
The poll question:

"The city of Boston was on lockdown and residents were asked to stay in their homes on
Friday morning as authorities searched for one of the suspects in the Boston Marathon
Bombings -- a suspect police considered armed and dangerous. If you were in that
situation -- locked in your home while a manhunt for a murderer was being conducted
nearby -- would you rather have a gun in your house, or not?"

The way this is worded seems unbiased to me. The response says to me that 50% of the non gun owners are now thinking it could be time to be able to defend themselves and the other 50% are idiots.

·
Registered
42,957 Posts
An alternative view says 50% of non-gun owners plus all of the gun owners would want a gun during a manhunt.

·
Registered
907 Posts
What's good about it is that 50% of non gun owners would want a gun in that circumstance. I see that as a positive.
Now if only they would VOTE that way.

Reactions: USM1976
1 - 20 of 45 Posts