Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been around here for a decade. I'm a guy who notices "trends". The older (more experienced?) shooter/members seldom start a "Should I Trade?" thread. IMHO, there's a reason for this absence.

Trades with a LGS are EXPENSIVE for an individual. And, unless the trader is gun-savvy & looking for A PARTICULAR GUN, it's a sucker-bet. Because you are, at the LGS, dealing with a gun pro who does this DAILY. Do ya' REALLY think you're gonna' get the clean end of the stick? Trades with another individual are more about your trust in THEM and less-about your trust in the gun.

Re-thinking about it, I SHOULD keep quiet. Because y'all compulsive traders traditionally pay retail price, plus buy all the mags/accessories, then decide on (get the hots for?) the "latest/greatest" and will take dimes on the dollar to satisfy your latest craving. I've got shooting buddies who deLIGHT the rest of us when they buy something uber-cool. 'Cuz we know, if we have cash & pay close attention, that gun will be available at 25-35% discount (PLUS free holster(s), sights, mags, etc.) in a matter of weeks/months. Sooooo, y'all forget what I said and...go right AHEAD! Trade away! :image035:

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I figure if I feel the need to ask others about a trade, I shouldn't trade.
I feel the same way about the "Should I buy X, Y, VS. Z" threads.

I like reviews, but when it comes time for me to ask the opinions of anonymous folks on the internet on what I should spend my money on, the answers usually "no".

Chuck

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I made a "Should I trade thread" about the 40 Shield for a 45 Shield, but the unlike the other threads, I wouldn't be losing $100 in the deal, wouldn't I be giving up capacity, nor is the Shield my carry gun. Plus, I think a 45 will hold its value more in the long run vs a 40s&w. I could NEVER bring myself to trade down without cash of top like all these other members are doing.

I think you hit the nail on GT. I think a lot of it has to do with wanting what you don't have or wanting the latest and greatest because the grass is greener on the other side. That, or they have a cheap holster and a flimsy belt, and they rather take a $100+ loss to get a lighter gun rather than to buy a gun belt and a better holster.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Trading at the lgs will always be taking a loss if you pay retail. They buy new cheaper than you can sell your used gun privately, so don't expect them to give you a break.

In my state ffl transfers are required for pistols so any trade involves at least $25 loss. I've made a few decent trades in the past but generally the cheapest gun is the one you've already got.

And then there's the guys on armslist who want to trade their God awful home customized stippled and rattle canned g23 for your Hk, sig or dw 1911 but no low ballers.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Any gun I buy I keep. Usually it's worth more to me then the money I paid for it. Unless you just made a bad purchase and hate the gun, just save your pennies and increase your collection.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, y'all please don't misunderstand, I'm a regular gun trader. Yet I don't have to ask if it's a wise trade, cuz' if it's not deeply tilted in my favor? I simply won't do it. There'll always be another one. Speakin' of "always", there's always (ALL ways) dead, green, paper, folding presidents involved. No checks, no plastic. There's just an unexplainable something about currency. They're like "fun tickets" that remain untraceable to...wives. Plus, because guns have been a devoted hobby for soooo long, I know (beforehand); what I WANT, what to LOOK for & what I'm WILLING to swap and/or pay. :biggrin2:

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
I may be miss understanding the point of the OP. The most recent one that comes to mind was, I am going to..... and I can choose on of these three as my CC. Which should I take?

I think the threads saying, " should I", have always been here but likewise I see they are growing in frequency. For me in the beginning here at D.C., I somewhat felt they were more for bragging purposes than knowledge. But keeping an open mind as I read through I almost always learn something of value. Usually from a senior member with patience and willingness to share knowledge. Then I realized there will always be new kids joining and then I see those kids turning into adults as they learn and acquired knowledge from other members here. This easily became apparent as I noticed every senior member allowing latitude instead of giving attitude. Sure there is an occasional thump on the head from a senior to a kid. Or a great joke. But it is always about ,"keeping it real", always about sharing of knowledge with an important positive outcome for the OP of the thread. That is what makes D.C..com the best place on the net. Makes D.C. stand out above the rest. Seniors usually do not abuse or bully here.

I think the, "should I", post's are growing for good reasons.

I appreciate every person that takes the time to share, post or answer a thread without being a know it all or bully. For me, the most important reason for D.C.com is to learn. When learning and education stops here at D.C., sharing about life stops here at D.C., I will stop coming here. I do not do facebook, never have never will.

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
I think some of these posts are really asking what is this gun really worth? If you don't know you should ask someone unconnected with the trade.
I am a gun trader. I buy, sell, and trade a lot. I have made several good straight up trades with LGS's. They got something they could sell, I got something different for my collection. I'm sure both of us thought we got one over on the other! DR

·
Registered
436 Posts
I don't trade, I accumulate...my name is Rambler, and I'm a gunaholic!

Anyway, there isn't anything at my LGS worth trading anything for and the stuff on consignment...whew! For example, a Ruger LCP for $400??? Ridiculous, when a reasonable price for one of those is $200...except for the fact that they are off-roster in Kommiefornia, and you can't legally buy them in the state unless they were owned when they were legal to buy in the state. This includes out of state family transfers. So, if my son gave me his LCP, that he bought for $200 in Utah, I could sell it for a ridiculously high $400. Minus $25 for shipping and then LGS FFLtransfer fees and consignment fees, I might clear about 75-100 in profit.

Seriously though, the only thing interesting on consignment, that I've seen, was an XDs45, that I missed buying while they were still legal (still kicking myself for that) but the owner wanted $900 for it, and I just didn't want an XDs 45 THAT bad.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
FWIW, I trade/sell pretty regularly. I'm working a trade right now with a guy that wants my P229R DAK for his P229 SAS straight up. I'll do that deal any day of the week.

Heck yeah!!!!! I loves my 229 sas. I honestly wish the made the 226 sas. I just may one day have to get me a old rail-less 226.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I was wondering if I should trade my 52 year old wife for two 26 year olds? :embarassed:

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was wondering if I should trade my 52 year old wife for two 26 year olds? :embarassed:
Okay, this one I WILL opinionate on. Doogie, have you actually SEEN what passes for "normal behavior" in the world of modern 26 year-old females?!? Take a YouTube tour, then go...hug (and thank) your WIFE! :image035:

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I've been around here for a decade. I'm a guy who notices "trends". The older (more experienced?) shooter/members seldom start a "Should I Trade?" thread. IMHO, there's a reason for this absence.
Us older guys know what works for us, and mostly already have it. And if we don't, we also know that past a certain point there's no point to endless effort at optimization. "Good enough" is OK.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts