Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
As the article states, 45 was developed because smaller caliber(s) were ineffective at stopping the enemy.

100 years later, some people think bullet tech helps smaller bullets perform equally to larger bullets that escaped enhancement. :rolleyes:
"But, a surgeon can't tell the difference..." like during emergency surgery the are trying to discern (appreciate) the difference. :22:
In medical school they compare gunshot wounds, "This is damage from a 45 HST, note the wound difference compared to 380 XTP" :lol: :tongue:
Bigger bullets make bigger holes, potentially dropping an attacker (the enemy) quicker, just like 100 years ago.
(Yes, same shot placement, ...disclaimer included)
That being said, 10mm vs 45 ... :ponder:

·
Super Moderator
18,006 Posts
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, serving for over a century just proves it is a proven design and still capable now as it was when designed.

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, serving for over a century just proves it is a proven design and still capable now as it was when designed.
Don't forget YouTube torture tests for other pistols. MUCH more reality based than WWI and those other insignificant scraps . I am not knocking other firearms, just putting some perspective.

That said, I do prefer the 1911.

·
Registered
20,049 Posts
It's my favorite pistol, but I don't carry it much.
And I doubt anyone armed with an AK is much concerned with a 1911, or any other pistol for that matter.

Nice sentimental piece of writing though.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Issued 1911-A1, holster, twin magazine pouch, (3) magazines, a brown cardboard box of (50) 230Gr-FMJ and a K-Bar with sheath. Adapt, improvise and over come (I'm left handed) I learned immediately what generations before me learned a pistol is a nice supplement to a rifle. So in addition to the pistol (2) more pistol magazines, a rifle, (7) rifle magazines, (2) fragmentation grenades, (1) CS gas grenade, and a smoke grenade.

Yes I employed the pistol which taught me the necessity of a rifle. There is no magic in the 45ACP!

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
It's my favorite pistol, but I don't carry it much.
And I doubt anyone armed with an AK is much concerned with a 1911, or any other pistol for that matter.

Nice sentimental piece of writing though.
Works well against an NVA with a grenade though ..

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
A note on the Full auto model ..It was not just modding the gun to fire Full auto ..It worked as it was fitted with a proper Forward grip from a Tommy gun and home made 20 round mags ..Both 45acp and 38 super models were made ..Also a number of Rem model 8s were made into early assult rifles by the same smith ( who has some great history)

The guns did work well

There is as far as I know one legal pre 1986 full auto 1911 in the US there is video on it was from the Colt Libreay and papered and now in Private hands

Also a small number of 1911 in 22lr from Mexchio here ( back then in Mechio full auto was not legal unless 22lr so pistol were made in it )

And last I looked 10 or 20 full auto s&w 59 pistol

The 1911 is a classic pistol ..A little tricky to take apart and swap parts but a cool gun that still does good work ..Many special forces still use them

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
Bingo!

Also, when they say full-auto, they mean full-auto, I've not seen any of the Lebman pistols with a selector/disconnector switch. :blink:
They even hung an M1927 foregrip on it for control. You're right , no selector . Bet that was thrilling to shoot .
One local guy has a 30 Round Super mag

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Bingo!

Also, when they say full-auto, they mean full-auto, I've not seen any of the Lebman pistols with a selector/disconnector switch. :blink:
They even hung an M1927 foregrip on it for control. You're right , no selector . Bet that was thrilling to shoot .
One local guy has a 30 Round Super mag
Correct, correct.
The link I posted mentioned that. Full auto only and tommy gun grip.
The 38 Super extended mag held 22 rounds.
Nice! :danceban:

·
Registered
20,049 Posts
Works well against an NVA with a grenade though ..
Makes one hell of an impression on the Iraqi RG that we captured and was getting ready for interrogations.

That is me with an old Rand at the ready, enemy on the ground.
I think my SS 357 magnum would have made an even better visual effect, but I kinda lost my privilege to use it early on.....
But the OPSEC Major felt sorry for me, and gave me his issued Rand to play with:)
IMG_0353.JPG

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Strange article. AFAIK, the 1911 isn't carried by hardly any military units anymore, in any significant numbers. Nor are any other pistols, chambered in .45 ACP. Whether M9 or G19, most military pistols are 9mm, as they are in virtually every military force the world over.

Our enemies don't fear pistols. They fear the man with the radio, the GPS, and the laser designator...with which we can call down more firepower than Allah himself.

As far as the mightly .45...here we go again. Yes, I own one. A G30. It's the only .45 I own, and will likely remain so. If the .45 was all that, we wouldn't have after action reports like this one (and it is only one of many):

https://www.policeone.com/police-he...ne-cop-carries-145-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job/

Carry whatever makes you comfortable. But be prepared for your pistol to fail, and know how to shoot the SOB in the head. The rest is all BS.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Strange article. AFAIK, the 1911 isn't carried by hardly any military units anymore, in any significant numbers. Nor are any other pistols, chambered in .45 ACP. Whether M9 or G19, most military pistols are 9mm, as they are in virtually every military force the world over.

Our enemies don't fear pistols. They fear the man with the radio, the GPS, and the laser designator...with which we can call down more firepower than Allah himself.

As far as the mightly .45...here we go again. Yes, I own one. A G30. It's the only .45 I own, and will likely remain so. If the .45 was all that, we wouldn't have after action reports like this one (and it is only one of many):

https://www.policeone.com/police-he...ne-cop-carries-145-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job/

Carry whatever makes you comfortable. But be prepared for your pistol to fail, and know how to shoot the SOB in the head. The rest is all BS.
Visions of John Wick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
As far as the mightly .45...here we go again. Yes, I own one. A G30. It's the only .45 I own, and will likely remain so.
:thinking:

:thinkerg:

You must prefer 10mm! :icon_biggrin:

Reactions: gatorbait51
1 - 20 of 85 Posts