Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
My issues is 22lr ..Esp on cleaning and clearing jams ...

Stopping power less and 30+ rounds of 22lr stinger should do ok but cleaning and jamming I am worried about

·
Registered
8,897 Posts
My wife has her own AR that was custom built for her. She initially trained with my S&W M&P 15 MOE and it was just too heavy for her. A friend of ours built one for her that was ultralight weight, yet still has very manageable recoil and she loves it.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have the M&P 15 .22, and love it! No issues with jamming as long as you don't use sub-sonic. Use decent ammo. True, and agree with the above post^^, see if you can get a rental of a full blown AR-15 in .223 / 5.56, it is awesome and a woman will totally be able to handle it! Just try the .223 caliber first.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I like that Manta-Ray light. I will not let my wife see this thread.

Reactions: addywon

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Mrs Thin already does well enough with our AR in 5.56. Though a .22LR kit would be fun.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
The recoil is not a big thing on .223 ammo, so I would get her shooting one and seeing if she wanted to stay with a .22 LR. If she had a 22LR, I would want her to have a mag capacity of at least 100 rds.

Reactions: Aceoky and addywon

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Mrs addywon has informed me that the deck and the front stoop must be replaced prior to the purchase of the AR. I am beginning to think she is a double agent.
There is a lot of talk right now about magazine capacity restrictions, where AR's are concerned because of the election and the Orlando shootings. I would get the AR now, and stock up on a few high capacity magazines before the election, just in case it may be more difficult to do so later on.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Also, when I finally got to shoot my M&P 15 .22 AR, the recoil was so low, I was almost disappointed, and had wondered if I should have just gone for the full blown AR that takes both the .223 and 5.56 (it is nice having options). The .22 is also very quiet. I do use the .22 to introduce people to the AR platform in a non-threatening way. They are afraid of the looks at first, but then feel bad-ass afterward especially when it is so easy to hit the target! It is good for encouraging the sport in a fun way!

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
My friend owns a gun shop. He asked his wife what she wanted for "her" rifle. AR in 5.56/223.

Reactions: addywon

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
I got one (Mossberg) that eats any .22 ammo without jamming so far but I still like my older wooden Winchester .308 with a darn good scope on it. Don't hunt but I can hit stuff easily a far piece away :yup:

I like big bullets. Funnest gun I've shot was a .50.

The larger AR's are nice and I've shot one but due to illness I'm not strong enough to hold it up any longer - am working on that though. AR's are good for safety, and better if they match your shoes! :biggrin2:

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
AR's in .22 LR are not reliable enough to be a self defense weapon. If recoil and loud noises are the big issue, a 9mm AR is a much better bet.

·
Registered
86 Posts
AR's in .22 LR are not reliable enough to be a self defense weapon. If recoil and loud noises are the big issue, a 9mm AR is a much better bet.
I agree, a 7 or 8 year old child can easily handle the recoil on a 9mm rifle. A Hi Point is super cheap and works pretty well, that would be a nice entry point to get someone used to handling a rifle.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I'm all for a .22LR in an AR format, or any other format.

Just not for a self-defense role. There are far better stoppers out there.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Mrs addywon has informed me that the deck and the front stoop must be replaced prior to the purchase of the AR. I am beginning to think she is a double agent.
Sounds like a negotiation there ..... buy you an AR, and then you'll guarantee her you'll get the front stoop and the deck replaced within 30 days. She might take you up on it.

Excellent point .... ! ! ! Or a 9mm carbine.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts