Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been saving for a firearm and I have have had my eyes on Ruger sr9c and an M&P9c.

I was on S&W today and noticed the SD section. Why are they so cheap. the M&P9c MSRP is $560. Ive seen it local for $510. Why is the MSRP of a 9MM $379?

SD9 VE? & SD40 VE? - Smith & Wesson

How do they compare to the M&P line? All I can see is that their are made with slightly cheaper materials but still function well...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have an SD40VE and am very happy with it. I put in a Apex Tactical spring kit to reduce the trigger pull from 8 lbs to 5+lbs. It still has a long pull, though. I have put about 500 rounds through it and it is getting pretty smooth and I am getting much better with it. (It is my first handgun). I will let others speak to what I am missing out on by having saved $200. I have a friend with lots of more expensive guns that thinks it is a very good value (decent quality at a low price).

The length and weight of the trigger pull and the blocky sights are suited for a home defense gun, which is what it is intended for. Makes it safer and easier to aim and shoot. Those attributes don't make it a great range gun. You can hit a 2' x 3' central body mass at 7 yards without much trouble, but an 8 inch target at 15 yards gets a little tougher.

Just my opinion. I think it is a great "entry-level" gun. Of course, I am already lusting after an M&P and/or a Glock so I can see what the $200 extra gets you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I currently shoot an SD9, and have nothing bad to say about it. Have put about 500 rounds through it, of varying quality ammo, with zero problems. I would suggest the trigger pull mod that sandspur talks of. I have not done it yet, but I also do not have a problem with the current trigger pull. It should also come with 2 magazines, which is a nice touch.

Enjoy it if you get it

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
The SD series pistols arw not as fancy in any way as an M&P, but dont mistake that for a garbage gun. The first iterations were lousy , but the current versions are very good guns for the price. Drop in an apex trigger asnd you will be shooting with glocks all day long. If you have a chance and are interested grab on.... the gun plus trigger is still chdeaper than a new glock.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
EDC an SW40VE stock no trigger mods. Absolutely reliable, cant ask for much more in a combat SD oriented pistol. Not fancy, but will for sure get the job done if you do your part.

·
Banned
192 Posts
My brother has an SD9.He told me,he had run about 1500 rds,thru it.He said,the trigger pull,was a little long,but,it was ok,so far.I may mention the apex trigger that was mentioned above,to him.

·
Registered
191 Posts
They are cheap in order to get the " I don't want to spend allot on a gun " crowd. As far as reliability, craftsmanship goes, they look pretty good.

·
Banned
2,289 Posts
They are designed to a price point. My brother-in-law bought one for home defense and loves it. I shot it and was pleasantly surprised at the decent trigger for a gun at that price point. I could not find any fault with the gun for its intended use. I gave him a rail light for it and now it sits in a safe on his night table. It will get the job done well so why pay more?

·
Banned
2,725 Posts
I had a sigma 40ve but sold it and got a glock 10mm. But then again not a thing wrong with the sigma. Was kinda stupid on my part selling it. I do miss it at times and it had a excellent grip..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a sigma 40ve but sold it and got a glock 10mm. But then again not a thing wrong with the sigma. Was kinda stupid on my part selling it. I do miss it at times and it had a excellent grip..
what does "sigma" mean? there is no mention of sigma on the S&W site but I find it on youtube...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sigma is the model, i just recently purchased the 40ve the only problem I have (and this might just be me) is the take down lever to take it apart and clean it is on both sides of the gun and you have to pull them straight down together to get it apart and mine is really tight. other than that is shoots as well as my 9mm and it is a great gun for the price.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think the big thing for me was Comfort! My m&p was very comfortable in my hand the sd series, not so much! It feels like the r&d goes into m&p, they keep the sd functioning well, but no great r&d! Just my opinion!

·
Super Moderator
18,492 Posts
"Why are S&W SD so cheap?"

Frankly, it's because they are cheaply fabricated.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I had an original Sigma and it was the only gun I ever felt bad selling to someone else because it was such a giant piece of crap. I've heard the current versions are much, much better though. I think it's been tweaked and refined so much since then that it's a completely different gun now anyway so I wouldn't associated the Sigma stigma with the current ones.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
what does "sigma" mean? there is no mention of sigma on the S&W site but I find it on youtube...
I'm no expert on S&W pistols, but...

Sigma's were the original model designed in 1994. They were S&W's first polymer pistol. They copied Glocks so much they were sued for patent infringement and settled out of court. S&W discontinued the Sigma line (probably due to the stigma) and started making the SD VE Series line.

Smith & Wesson Sigma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have a SD40VE and the wife and I love it. For the price you can't go wrong, reliable as h&ll.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts