Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 334 Posts

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Betcha I catch hell for this... Betcha I don't care.....

I am tired of hearing folks tell me that if I cared about them not getting the virus I'd protect them by wearing a mask. Better yet in order to protect them I should stay home.

If YOU don't want to take a chance getting the virus how about YOU wear a mask or YOU stay home. Voluntarily restrict your own freedom/rights instead of demanding, and expecting the government to enforce, my freedom/rights be restricted.

But kindly do not act all noble while blaming me for you getting sick.

Rant over!
Because the mask doesn't prevent you from being infected by others, it prevents you from infecting others.

·
Banned
1,100 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
Betcha I catch hell for this... Betcha I don't care.....

I am tired of hearing folks tell me that if I cared about them not getting the virus I'd protect them by wearing a mask. Better yet in order to protect them I should stay home.

If YOU don't want to take a chance getting the virus how about YOU wear a mask or YOU stay home. Voluntarily restrict your own freedom/rights instead of demanding, and expecting the government to enforce, my freedom/rights be restricted.

But kindly do not act all noble while blaming me for you getting sick.

Rant over!
Because the mask doesn't prevent you from being infected by others, it prevents you from infecting others.
Masks only work one way? Really?

Reactions: APX-9M and SFury

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
'...why are so many denigrating those that protest against such suppression? The goal was to prevent Japan from attacking the US. We achieved that goal, but now the goalposts have moved to "defeat the Nazis."

Which means now conscription and rationing are preventing people from:

1) traveling
2) working
3) freely associating with others
4) attending worship services of their religion
5) purchasing many items

Those are just a few. And many don't even seem alarmed that this may go on indefinitely.'

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Then you are very fortunate. Unfortunately, that is not the reality of millions of Americans, myself included. Our son can't go to school. He is a special needs boy that was thriving in school. But now he is stuck at home, and my wife was sent home from her job with a laptop to work at home. However, it is difficult to get enough babysitting because the demand for babysitters is so high with all the kids at home. So my wife is very stressed out from trying to get her work done and provide part-time care for our son as well. Kids need to get back to school.

And for the tens of millions of Americans who have already lost their jobs, and the many millions more who will lose their jobs in the coming weeks and months, this isn't life as usual. My wife and I are both still working for now, but if the new home sales market keeps declining in the next several months, we may be in that group looking for another job, as well.

I suspect the vast majority of Americans are not as fortunate as you.
Certainly no circumstances are ever the same and there are many impacted in many ways. As a result of Covid, we do have both a grown daughter and two small grandchildren living with us. One is a 2nd grader with whom I help daily with "homework". My wife and I both work full time. There is no comparing one persons challenges to another as we all deal with these things differently. I am sorry for anyone's discomforts.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Broadly speaking. Masks won't stop airborne virus particles, but can trap droplets and larger particles carrying a large load of the virus. This helps a lot of the person infected is wearing one, because those particles will be trapped against their own face. It helps little if the uninfected person wears one and the infected doesn't, because the larger particles get trapped in the uninfected person's mask, and the virus can be drawn through by inhalation.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Most people have been properly indoctrinated and only know what they have been told to think. They paid no attention to history, they have no concept of looking at the future, and they know very little about what’s going on now.

Reactions: APX-9M and Bikenut

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
There are members here who normally speak out against rights infringement, but who are now some of those who believe this virus is going to take us all out and who are advocating continued closures which lead to economic ruin. I’d like to hear from them what in their psyche changed in two months that wasn’t there before. Those people scare me more than the liberals - at least I’m expecting it from Libs.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
'...why are so many denigrating those that protest against such suppression? The goal was to prevent Japan from attacking the US. We achieved that goal, but now the goalposts have moved to "defeat the Nazis."

1) traveling
2) working
5) purchasing many items

Those are just a few. And many don't even seem alarmed that this may go on indefinitely.'
Nope. These were two different threats. A better comparison would be going into Iraq to find WMD’s, then finding Saddam and cheering “mission accomplished” despite never finding the WMD’s(that we went there for) and basing the entire invasion on bad intel, then leaving the country in worse shape afterward.

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
But if you stay locked up in your fortress as @Bikenut suggested, you should just be fine and dandy. Mask or no mask. Are you also wearing your mask in your own house?
Let the rest of us with less risk go about our normal lives.
I am 63 and I have Type 2 diabetes under control. They say I am at a high risk, Guess what i would rather take the risk then lose my job, my home, my retirement savings.
There a a lot of ways to die. Americans were always risk takers, that is what made us the greatest, most powerful country in the history of civilization.
That risk taking has generated a lot of inventions which have benefited mankind.
I will be damned if I let something like this take away the rights that God and our veterans have given me.
We did not postpone the War for Independence when a vicious small pox outbreak happened. We kept fighting, kept working. That is the American Way!

·
Registered
33,896 Posts
Restaurants closed, bars closed, nearly all beaches and parks closed, barber shops and salons closed, for the love of God - Disneyworld is closed! It's the end of the Florida world as we know it. (ITEOTFWAWKI?)

People are "forced" out of work due to government mandates. FL can't get its unemployment system to work and people can't file. Public property--that which is owned by The People--is closed to The People. The country's sorry education system is shut down at every level--again by government mandate.

Who wouldn't protest such dictatorial control over our everyday life and being?

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
It has more to do with how well the masks seal around your face and droplets ability to get into or out of your month/nose.

Reactions: maxwell97

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Nope. These were two different threats. A better comparison would be going into Iraq to find WMD’s, then finding Saddam and cheering “mission accomplished” despite never finding the WMD’s(that we went there for) and basing the entire invasion on bad intel, then leaving the country in worse shape afterward.
That's not a good comparison either. We have proof he used mustard gas, something classified as a WMD, on his enemies within his own borders during the Desert Storm operation. Part of what drove us going into Iraq after 9-11 was that fact combined with Saddam's posturing to not look weak. Saddam could have proven he no longer had those materials, but he was stuck in an unwinnable situation. We may not have crushed him had he proven he no longer had any of the outlawed weapons, but his enemies in the region would have gone after him. That's the reality of the life of the warring Muslim tribes. He rolled the dice and did what he did and died. The odds are good he would have died anyways had he proven he had no WMDs. Just at different hands.

Saddam actually made the right choice. Standing up to the US was his best option. He was trying to save face, and was hoping we would back down in the end. It was the only option that would keep him in power if his gamble succeeded.

·
Super Moderator
21,912 Posts
Restaurants closed, bars closed, nearly all beaches and parks closed, barber shops and salons closed, for the love of God - Disneyworld is closed! It's the end of the Florida world as we know it. (ITEOTFWAWKI?)

People are "forced" out of work due to government mandates. FL can't get its unemployment system to work and people can't file. Public property--that which is owned by The People--is closed to The People. The country's sorry education system is shut down at every level--again by government mandate.

Who wouldn't protest such dictatorial control over our everyday life and being?
You won the Internet for today, OV. :congrats:

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
That's not a good comparison either. We have proof he used mustard gas, something classified as a WMD, on his enemies within his own borders during the Desert Storm operation. Part of what drove us going into Iraq after 9-11 was that fact combined with Saddam's posturing to not look weak. Saddam could have proven he no longer had those materials, but he was stuck in an unwinnable situation. We may not have crushed him had he proven he no longer had any of the outlawed weapons, but his enemies in the region would have gone after him. That's the reality of the life of the warring Muslim tribes. He rolled the dice and did what he did and died. The odds are good he would have died anyways had he proven he had no WMDs. Just at different hands.

Saddam actually made the right choice. Standing up to the US was his best option. He was trying to save face, and was hoping we would back down in the end. It was the only option that would keep him in power if his gamble succeeded.
We didn’t go there looking for mustard gas.

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So far, during state mandated Covid "quarantine" I have purchased a new Dodge Ram from my local dealer, been to the grocery store regularly, gone to Lowes multiple times for home repair issues, picked up my favorite restaurant food, bought clothes at a local retail establishment, picked up some misc things at CVS, bought horse feed at my local Tractor Supply, made and appointment to see my Dr and went into the office, spoke with the nice ladies across the counter, waited in the waiting room as normal, went in to see him and left with what I came for just like normal. Those that are on unemployment are getting a minimum of $2400/mo plus whatever their state normally provides, which for many is more than they normally make.

I am all about civil liberties and fed up with the over-reach of the government, but I don't feel too constrained. If you turn your TV off, life seems pretty normal. If you are out of work, I hope you are taking advantage of the stimulus money. Hopefully the four months added benefits will be enough to get you across the bridge.

Only enough time passing, and much more data collected, will allow us to see this through an objective filter of a rear view mirror. For now, it is what it is. Turning the TV off and stopping listening to whatever your favorite media opinion pusher, is a great way to ride this out with limited angst or frustration. I can pretty much do whatever I was doing. I stopped listening to talking heads tell me I couldn't or shouldn't.
Kind of hard to take advantage of stimulus money if it doesn't replace your lost income. And for the Gig economy (independent contractors), they are screwed.

It sounds like you are not really affected by this shutdown. Good for you. But your words offer little solace to those were both breadwinners are out of a job, and where their employer might not exist in a week or two (or may have already been extinguished).

Finally, does it not bother you that the rights of your fellow citizens have been curtailed? Are you really okay with citizens in Michigan not being able to gather?

·
Registered
33,896 Posts

·
Registered
33,896 Posts
Finally, does it not bother you that the rights of your fellow citizens have been curtailed? Are you really okay with citizens in Michigan not being able to gather?
Because they have not yet come for him.

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

1) traveling
2) working
5) purchasing many items

Sorry, this virus is not an existential threat like a militarized Japan and Nazi Germany.

And rationing and travel were restricted because of scarcity of resources.

And by the way, we interned people of Japanese descent during WWII. Was that a good exercise of Government power?

21 - 40 of 334 Posts