Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have now been carrying for about 4 months and my new found interest has raised some eyebrows and questions from friends and family. I got into a discussion again tonight with some friends about why I carry. I don't feel that my answers were good enough for them but I tried my best. So let me throw it out to folks with a lot more experience then I have this way. We all talk and read about what to carry, how many to carry, and how often to carry etc? So why carry?

·
Registered
967 Posts
I got into a discussion again tonight with some friends about why I carry. I don't feel that my answers were good enough for them but I tried my best.

I too get into discussions like such with friends...that think it's silly to feel the "need to carry" a "gun"....bah I say.

You know why you carry, you know where you stand on why you carry. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

No need to try to prove why...just carry. It's you own personal deal.

·
Registered
69 Posts
it is my duty as ordained by god to protect and care for my family

nuff said i think

·
Registered
236 Posts
You carry because while the world may be generally safe and peaceful, bad things and people can come looking for you. You can choose not to go to the seedy parts of town, you can be in your own home, at church or the grocery store and may find yourself the target of a deranged killer.
Nobody can guarantee your safety, carrying a gun does not guarantee your safety, but it significantly improves your chances of survival.
The police are always minutes away and your gun, being present might just save lives.

·
Super Moderator
18,175 Posts
I have carried for over thirty years both in the military and as a civilian, I figure if someone has to ask why I carry they live in a shell and have no concept what it is to take responsibility for your own personal safety and the safety of your loved ones.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Well, if most "normal" people really knew all of the things that go on out there and the frequency of them, that they NEVER know about, never hit the paper, and how many personal crimes and violent crimes go on that are unheard about....

And, if they met and dealt with some of the folks that commit them......

Then, they would definitely be carrying. LOL.

Violent crimes, etc. are much more frequent than most normal people going on about their daily lifes , with their heads in the sand, ever realize or WANT to realize.

One thing I've told a few friends who don't understand, "well, don't worry ... if something does ever go down , I"ll be safe... but, I don't know if you will be".

I know I've told a few friends of mine that asked, "don't worry, if anything ever goes down... I'll be safe.... but... I'm not sure if you will be".

1. Why volunteer to be a victim ?
2. "It won't happen to me, afterall... what's the chances ". Very high actually.
3. I live in a good neighborhood. You think people are going to do home invasions, burglaries, robberies, etc. in the slums ?
4. Go to Walmart late at night, dress up nicely, and walk to your car all alone.... with $2000 cash in your pocket. Do you feel "safe enough" to do that ? IF not, why not ?

Some food for thought for them. Instead of sometimes 'answering' their question, some times it gets them to think... if you ask them a few. Afterall, why aren't THEY carrying ?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I carry because I can. It is my right and a responsibility I accept fully.

·
Registered
756 Posts
"No matter how blessed our lives, how charmed our existence, things still inevitably, irrevocably go wrong... Eventually bad things find us all."

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
It's no use arguing with them, they have their views and you have yours. The difference is, they'll be on the program "Ugly Crimes Caught on Tape" and you'll be on the one called "Citizens Fight Back." They are willing to roll the dice on their family's life, you're not.

·
Registered
145 Posts
So why carry?
I do not carry because I fear a boogie man is hiding behind every corner, nor do I fear a zombie apocalypse. First reason I carry is because it is my duty as a husband to be able to protect my family physically and financially when able. Second reason is I love living and I am not going to willingly let some misguided individual interrupt my habit of breathing air. Lastly, I carry a firearm because it is a symbol of my God given rights as a free man!

·
Registered
752 Posts
I do not advertise that I carry a firearm even to my closest friends. I have disclosed that I keep my firearm with me to probably to my closest friend(he has never seen it) but we have been friends for 44 out of the 49yrs. that I have been on this earth if that says anything. I do not think it is wise to even have a discussion with people about carrying a firearm especially if you are the one carrying it and they are not. I have learned that people generally talk too much which could put you at a great disadvantage if someone targets you for robbery or the like.

·
Super Moderator
18,165 Posts
I carry because I deal with scuzballs that would kill you in the blink of an eye and not lose a wink of sleep.

I carry because I see how low a level that another human being can sink too.

I carry because it makes a lot of politicians and egotistcal maniacs nervous.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's a jungle out there. If I knew when and where or if a threat requiring a weapon were to impose itself upon me, I'd only carry on that day. Since I do not, it's just being prepared. Like locking your car doors. Would they think you were rediculous for taking some sort of martial arts class to accomplish the same goal? Stuff like that...

·
Registered
148 Posts
I do not advertise that I carry a firearm even to my closest friends. I have disclosed that I keep my firearm with me to probably to my closest friend(he has never seen it) but we have been friends for 44 out of the 49yrs. that I have been on this earth if that says anything. I do not think it is wise to even have a discussion with people about carrying a firearm especially if you are the one carrying it and they are not. I have learned that people generally talk too much which could put you at a great disadvantage if someone targets you for robbery or the like.
+1!

This quote sounds a lot like something I posted in another thread. I could say the same for another post on this thread as well. I guess that says something about the mentality of us all. It takes a certain type of person to carry a weapon with confidence in the first place. So I guess most of us are all wired pretty much the same way.

Well here is my response:

__Don't tell, and they wont ask! If they find out somehow, tell them the world out there has deemed it necessary for you to carry. People out there are more desperate than they have been in years. Things will only get worse, and like a boyscout, you just want to be prepared.

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
I carry because I have seen true evil and I do not wish to be unaccomodating when I am graced with a visit by true evil.

Biker

·
Registered
29 Posts
We don't live in the same world our Parents and Grandparents lived in. It's unfashionable to be God Fearing anymore, or to have morals, or do the right thing. I remember the "Womens Liberation Movement". Now we have 12 year old girls dressing like hookers. I remember the "Civil Rights Movement" and now we have huge sections of urban areas a regular person couldn't go into and come out alive. Not to mention the folks who don't want to "snitch" while some crackhead runs rampant through their neighborhood killing, raping and robbing at will. I remember the "War On Drugs" and we have a whole new crop of them to go with the old ones as well as the full scale war just outside our borders deciding who's going to ship metric tons of it in. And we can't stop it because we are the #1 drug consuming country in the world. They're trying to teach "Gay Sex Ed" in our schools. They want to yank out the Ten Commandments from public places as well as outlaw prayer and then break their necks trying to install muslim footbaths. I remember seeing this documentary where these people said Elvis Presley was the devil because he moved his hips while he sang. Jeez, what were we thinking. Anyway, to answer your question I'll quote an old enemy Mao Tse Tung: "Power comes from the barrel of a gun."

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've always loved the following quote: "I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy."

Something like that usually lightens the mood, then I change the subject. I normally try to associate with people that think the same way I do and rarely have to explain myself to others that way.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I know Im sort of alone on this subject but when people find out I carry, I enjoy talking to people about it and Im more than happy to explain why I carry, why its important. To me, if everyone (of the law abiding) carried all the time, violent crime would come to a SCREECHING halt.

Not just anyone knows I carry, but I have friends who know and several have since gotten their CHLs as well. If we keep it too taboo of a subject to talk about how will new people find out about it? "Gun people" will always know but its important to me that concealed carry be something more well known to people who aren't typically into guns. I don't expect anyone to have to have an extensive collection of collectible firearms to need to defend themselves any more or less than anyone else. I had never owned a firearm in my life but I had a candid conversation with a friend of mine when we got on the subject of CC. It really got me thinking. I in turn have gotten other thinking. All because it wasn't treated as too taboo to talk about. And some people make the decision NOT to carry and I can respect that too. But at least they "tried those brussel sprouts before they said they didn't like them". An informed decision is always better than one made in ignorance.

With that, I certainly wouldn't recommend having that conversation with just anyone. But if we never tell there will be fewer to speak out if this right ever is in dire threat of being taken from us.

To answer the question at hand.

I generally tell people that I feel each of us have a responsibility to protect ourselves, our families and children and perhaps even a friend who is with you and in immediate danger. A gun is just one of many tools that you could use and not everyone feels the need to carry that tool. The world is NOT a safe place as a general rule and while its important to not live in fear it IS important to be prepared.

Alex!

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
First off arguing with someone over why you carry is a waste of time and breath. That being said, Ask them why they carry a spare tire in their car, or why they have a smoke detector and fire extinguisher in their homes. You may never need it, but when you do need it, there's no time to go out and buy one.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts