Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the question I got form a Project Manager today.

I said since the 2A says it's my right.

He said he has a knife he carries....And carring a gun is not neccesary...

LOL

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
There are a lot of reasons for carrying. That one is ranked.

The project managers answer is very lame.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I carry: a gun, a knife, pepper spray, crenalated bezel flashlight, cell phone, notepad. Gives me lots of options that a knife alone doesn't.

If the VCA (violent criminal actor) is close enough for me to get him with my knife, he's close enough to do me and my loved ones serious harm. There's no stand-off with a knife.

·
Super Moderator
50,611 Posts
Challenge him to a personal dual at 22' (a hair beyond 21':rolleyes:) because you want to see who is quicker.:image035: (yes, :joke:)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Tell him to read up on the Tueller Drill if it will make him feel better. I'm not being judgmental here but a knife isn't as good as gun for self defense. an average person can be proficient enough to reliably defend themselves with a handgun in a short time a knife not so much. Is a knife as effective as a gun? No doubt in the right hands maybe if your a navy seal.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Sounds like the perfect time to look at the guy right in the eyes with a :blink: and say, let me know how that works out for ya...:stups:

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I can't throw a rock @ 1000 feet per second. And very respectfully our LEO'S can't get here fast enough to protect me and mine.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When he saww me today he was shaking his head....Asked what was wrong and he still can't beleive that people need to carry in this day and age.... I hooked him up with some information and he said he will read it over the Christmas break...When we get back I plan on asking him to the range....

·
Registered
384 Posts
Is the question I got form a Project Manager today.

I said since the 2A says it's my right.

He said he has a knife he carries....And carring a gun is not neccesary...

LOL
He better carry some breathmints as well, so that the BG doesn't complain about his smell in hand to hand combat. Oh, and I forgot that maybe, just maybe, there is more than one. KY ?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Even Navy SEALS dont bring knives to gunfights.
Well they bring them, they just don't use them until they have to. :D

Glad you brought this point up, though. Quite true.

My experience with knives as opposed to guns is this:
1. In our martial arts knife drills, consistently the bigger, stronger person will disarm the knife holder who is at the same training level and even up to two belts higher. (Never 3 though. Just didn't see it.) Sometimes he would get "cut" (chalked), but the bigger stronger guy still wins with a disarm and kill unless the defender is far superior in training and experience.

2. In the gun disarming drills, unless the person is inside of arms reach (e.g. with the gun poked into your back or against your head), the person with the gun wins 99/100 times. Strength was almost irrelevant in gun disarming as the guy with the gun almost always gets a shot off first. Speed did factor in more than strength, as the techniques are pretty effective, but I'm guessing average joe-criminal doesn't have the speed or advanced training to take a gun out of your hand before you get a shot off. They might, but you still hold the upper hand with a pistol. Knife? Not so much. Usually turns into an all out animalistic struggle for control of the knife and the big guy usually wins.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ask him why does he carry a knife. I mean there are some people out there that will say you shouldnt carry a knife either. Just because he thinks you shouldnt have to carry a gun doesnt make him right. The only way i have found to win an argument like this one would be challenging something he really likes to do. Then if he still believes that you shouldnt have to or be able to carry a gun then tell him thats ok since thats his belief but he should respect your belief and rights just as you respect his.
Also, tell him that if he ever has to use his knife and looses to hurry and call 911 but make shure he tells them to send the cops that Doesnt carry a sidearm since we live in an age that shouldnt need them.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Top 10 Reasons Why We carry

10- The Second Amendment says we can.
9- We are not quick enough to dodge a bullet.
8- A pocket Pitbull is impractical.
7- We accept the World is an imperfect place.
6- No two moments in life are ever the same.
5- Things you have, are things people want to take by force.
4- For each job there is a tool, and you like to do an efficient job.
3- Sometimes drastic situations require drastic measures.
2- Help is usually several minutes away when seconds are all you have.
1- Because this is America, if you don't like it get the #^$& out!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Someone needs to make a T-shirt with fatcat's list. I love it!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts