Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I was required to by my "job".:yup: My ephiphany was when another cop I worked with on my squad was off-duty and witnessed an armed robbery and he wasn't able to take action due to him not carrying. (He recieved a 5 day suspension because our rules & duty manual at that time required that you carry at ALL times off duty in your jurisdiction.) note *If that had happened now he wouldn't have been suspended because the new liberal leaning Chief changed the rules.:rolleyes:

Reactions: WMac19

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
My Dad is a retired Chief of Police and one of my grandfathers (deceased) was a hunter. So, I literally grew up around guns my entire life but I never thought of owning one, or carrying one for myself for years. Then one day years ago, while visiting a friend, I "discovered" that he was a concealed carrier. I asked him about it, we talked and what he said about the 2nd Amendment and being prepared to defend ourselves and our families made tons of sense to me. He then showed me Youtube clips of Hickok45 talking about a variety of guns. I was hooked!

So, I went home and began to devour and absorbed as many videos of his and a few other notable gun channels that I could at that time for hours and hours and hours and, then I started reading a few notable gun magazines as well in order to increase my own personal knowledge about the "conceal carry lifestyle". Needless to say, that I jumped in headlong into this wonderful gun world to the degree that I've obtained way more guns than my friend, I attend the range more frequently than my friend and he tells me that my knowledge and how I think about guns has far surpassed his to the point that he now asks me about them. Wow! :vs_cool:

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Been a firearm fan since birth. On my launch date (the day I was born) my maternal Grandfather ("Daddy Mac") bought for me a lifetime NRA Membership. He did the same for ALL his male grandchildren, along with teaching all of us gun-safety, proper shooting techniques/skills across hand/long guns, providing "loaners" until we hauled enough hay & mowed enough grass to buy our own. At which time the loaner returned to him to keep until my younger cousins grew sufficiently qualified to take the next loaner home.

So my introduction to the shooting sports was generationally engraved. That eventually lead to NCAA collegiate rifle & handgun bullseye competition. I packed guns through the woods, the game bird meadows & just about...everywhere (ahhhh, the rural life).

When carrying a concealed handgun in polite society became a reality, it was a natural evolution. No different, in my mind, than ALWAYS having a sharp pocket knife tucked in my overalls.

I wish for EVERY young person (male and female) to be blessed with mature, level-headed, skilled, responsible family members who'll delight in sharing our sport. And now? The "sport" can ensure the continued personal safety OF those generations. Thanks Daddy Mac! :yup:

·
Premium Member
33,894 Posts
A friend murdered in front of a crowd of people on a busy street, and then another one found face down in a ditch.

·
Premium Member
5,462 Posts
The first time because it was required of me. Then as a civilian I started carrying when it became legal in Missouri. I was in one of the first classes taught by one of the bill’s main proponents. Now Missouri is Constitutional carry, but I keep up the permit for travel.

Always carry. Never tell.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've been into guns since I was a little kid, and most of my family are good ol' boys and girls who grew up around and used guns all their lives too. The main reason I actually carry one though is because this world gets nuttier with every passing day and it takes nothing anymore for someone to get offended or mad, which all too often now results in someone getting hurt. I can't control when I leave this world, but I don't intend to let anyone send me out quietly. I hate the thought of having to take a life that can't be returned, but I hate the thought of me going even more.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Age 13, when our mountain neighborhood became essentially infested with mountain lions.

·
Banned
5,322 Posts
Grew up hunting and fishing; guns were a part of my life from a very early age. Required in certain jobs, just made sense later to continue. If I'm awake, I'm carrying.

Reactions: Chaplain Scott

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I was required to by my "job".:yup: My ephiphany was when another cop I worked with on my squad was off-duty and witnessed an armed robbery and he wasn't able to take action due to him not carrying. (He recieved a 5 day suspension because our rules & duty manual at that time required that you carry at ALL times off duty in your jurisdiction.) note *If that had happened now he wouldn't have been suspended because the new liberal leaning Chief changed the rules.:rolleyes:
You have a liberal leaning chief of police in the Gulf Coast of Alabama? That's an insult to the good folks of your state. He must be a transplant.

Reactions: 5lima30ret and OD*

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
My Dad is a retired Chief of Police and one of my grandfathers (deceased) was a hunter. So, I literally grew up around guns my entire life but I never thought of owning one or carrying for myself for years. Then one day years ago, while visiting a friend, I "discovered" that he was a concealed carrier. I asked him about it, we talked and what he said about the 2nd Amendment and being prepared to defend ourselves and our families made tons of sense to me. He then showed me Youtube clips of Hickok45 talking about a variety of guns. I was hooked!

I went home and devoured and absorbed as many videos of his and a few notable others that I could at that time and I started reading a few notable gun magazines as well in order to increase my personal knowledge of the "conceal carry lifestyle". I jumped in headlong into this gun world to the degree that I've obtained way more guns than my friend, I attend the range more frequently than my friend and he tells me that my knowledge and how I think about guns has far surpassed his to the point that he now asks me about them. Wow! :vs_cool:
Dam good thing your friend didn't tell you about HK ! Think where you be then ! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
700 Posts
I've been carrying off and on since early twenties. Not necessarily always a handgun though.

Two events that left an impression on my psyche were when I was younger than that. One in my late teens involved an altercation that included a blade (got a couple nasty scars out of it, but fortunately the guy with the knife didn't know how to use one)...it was kind of my own fault. Hanging out with the wrong crowd, young and dumb. Go to stupid places, hang out with stupid people and stupid things happen.

The second incident happened earlier, on the farm. I was in my mid teens, I suppose.

A kegger (beer party) out in the woods some 3-4 miles from our farm got called in. I heard it on the police scanner (my other grandfather was a cop for 19 years after the war, so we always had one on). Well they must have also had a scanner too, as all their headlights came on a couple minutes later. I was watching out the window and all of a sudden it hit me that maybe half of the 40 or so cars were headed our direction. Then they turn into the 3/4 mile road to our place!
I yelled down the stairs to dad and out came the shotguns. By the time we'd got to the next door neighbor's house (they rented from us) the 25-30 goons had already busted down the front door of their house and were trying to set up a party. They thought the place was empty because the house was dark, but the neighbors were in the basement watching a movie with their kids.

Long story short we ran them out of the house by shotgun barrel, sent them back up the drive way and barricaded it with guns across the hood. Fortunately they were too drunk to cause any real trouble. I'm sure the sight of shotguns also helped their disposition too.
Finally a cruiser showed up about 20 minutes later. And we basically said "they went a that-a-way" and pointed them on down the road. This probably left the biggest impression on me that when you really need a policeman he's probably not going to be there in time.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I was 22 when I bought my first firearm but loved them since I was a little kid. Didn't know it at the time, but in my state I could have OC'd from any time I wished after turning 18.

I received my CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit) in 1995, soon after we went "shall issue". I was the second person in Arlington County to receive a CHP after shall issue became law. We lived in North Arlington at the time and we were beginning to see some things we didn't particularly like happening in our development. That and the fact that Section 13 of the Virginia Constitution protects my right to bear arms was enough for me to exercise that right at my discretion.

We left Arlington in 1998 and now see that county as a bastion of liberalism. Glad I don't live there anymore.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was opening up the shop I worked at, at 5am in a somewhat violent city. Once I left there, it began collecting dust. I did not begin true EDC until the past couple of years. Why? Because there were enough events happening that convinced me that it's no longer enough to 'avoid' the 'bad' areas. You just don't know when and where something might happen.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts