Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all the sheep who question me and say that I am "just paranoid":
Why do I choose to have a Concealed Handgun License and am prepared to protect my family and myself inside and outside my home? Here are two examples from my little home town:

South Tyler Robbery Probed
Posted: Thursday, 17th December 2009 11:26AM

TYLER -- Tyler police are investigating the robbery of several individuals in their south Tyler apartment. It happened around 7:00 last night in the 2700 block of South Broadway. When the victims answered a knock at their door, three suspects, two of which were armed, entered the apartment. A girlfriend of one of the victims arrived at the apartment while the suspects were inside and was also held at gunpoint.

The suspects were described as between the ages of 16 and 24. One suspect had a ski mask covering his face and another one had a black beanie cap on. They took several electronic items, including a big screen television, and left the apartment. It is unknown if the suspects left the scene on foot or had a vehicle waiting on them. One of the victims received minor injuries during the incident, but refused medical attention.

Aggravated Assault Probed
Posted: Thursday, 17th December 2009 11:25AM

TYLER -- Tyler police are investigating an aggravated assault that occurred late yesterday afternoon. It occurred at Loop 323 and Highway 69 North. The victim, a 46 year old man, told officers he was south bound on Highway 69 coming from Lindale, when a white male 55-60 driving a dark colored Toyota Matrix pulled up beside him honking and gesturing. Trying to avoid a confrontation the victim accelerated away and continued south.

As the victim approached the Loop on Highway 69, the Toyota pulled around in front of the victim, slammed on the brakes and exited the vehicle. The suspect approached the victim’s car yelling and threatening to kill him. The suspect then went back to his car where he pulled out a handgun and said he was going to kill him. The victim then pulled around the suspect vehicle and left. There were no injuries and no shots were fired.

'Nuff said.

·
Registered
862 Posts
another good example of anywhere...anytime....anyone....

·
Banned
2,095 Posts
The first incident is the perfect example of a topic we have discussed repeatedly: DON'T ANSWER THE DARN DOOR by opening the door.

If you didn't invite them, or don't know them well, leave them on the porch. If you need to, install a peep hole doodad.

Some folks here say they don't want to feel paranoid. Perhaps where these guys live, they see the Publisher's Clearinghouse van every day, or the Playboy bunny bus breaks down in their drive way.

Me? Not so much.

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
If the Playboy Bunny Bus broke down in my driveway, just my luck I'd be at work. The wife would tell me all about it, and maybe even get an autograph for herself, but forget to get a PIC and autograph for me.

Biker

·
Registered
145 Posts
Good story, thanks for bringing it. In a two week period recently, we had 3 shooting incidents near my house. Two of which were right down the street and the third involved robbers and automatic weapons, I believe a couple of cops were injured in that scenario. My wife will no longer walk the dogs without me when it is dark, and I am fine with that.

·
Registered
473 Posts
If the Playboy Bunny Bus broke down in my driveway, just my luck I'd be at work. The wife would tell me all about it, and maybe even get an autograph for herself, but forget to get a PIC and autograph for me.

Biker
:rofl::wave:

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
There really are no 'safe' places...dirtbags are everywhere...times are getting tougher and people will do anything to survive...drugs complicate the issue.

Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
There really are no 'safe' places...dirtbags are everywhere...times are getting tougher and people will do anything to survive...drugs complicate the issue.

Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!
+1 I have noticed alot more crime in my town as well..

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Crime is an equal opportunity thing, not restricted to the "bad" parts of towns. A lot of us are noticing crime more nowadays, especially near Christmas. Seems to be an increase during this time of year.

Even in my so-called "safe" neighborhood, I still look around because we too have had our share of criminal activity.

·
Banned
908 Posts
Tinley Park Massacre

Of course the Illinois legislature has determined in its wisdom that six women shot execution style and five of them murdered is a better outcome than one of them defending herself and the other five with a concealed handgun.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Noticing more and more crime here as well. Be it shootings/drivebys, robberies or assaults. More and more happens in my neck of the woods and as everyone else has and will say - "It wasnt like this X number of years ago".

~Steve

·
Registered
114 Posts
I take exception to being "paranoid" if you have a weapon readily available.

Are you paranoid to have smoke detectors in your home? Are you paranoid to have fire extinguishers in home/car? Are you paranoid to never go below the half way mark on your gas tank? Are you paranoid to have some extra cash, food, water, medical supplies handy?... I call it "Being Prepared"!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Recently, three guys from the hood in north St Louis drove more than 100 miles to steal two cars. Of course the neighbors snitched and they got caught about sixty miles from St Louie. Every little town and local sheriff got in on this chase and they finally got them with some spike strips. Looked them up on casenet. All were listed. Two had been in jail. One was still on parole. They will find the local judicial process is less of a revolving door out here in the sticks. I hope the prosecutors and judges send the city thugs a message that gets back to the hood. We have plenty of our own criminals and don't need any from the city.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The first incident is the perfect example of a topic we have discussed repeatedly: DON'T ANSWER THE DARN DOOR by opening the door.

If you didn't invite them, or don't know them well, leave them on the porch. If you need to, install a peep hole doodad.

Some folks here say they don't want to feel paranoid. Perhaps where these guys live, they see the Publisher's Clearinghouse van every day, or the Playboy bunny bus breaks down in their drive way.

Me? Not so much.
I gotta agree. The other night I heard the door bell ring. Around 8:30 PM or so. I went to the door, turned on the outside light and looked out the side window. Some guy apparently trying the door to door sales of something or another. I didn't open the door and simply asked him loudly what he wanted. Couldn't quite understand his spiel with the door closed.... didn't matter. I cut him off and told him I wasn't interested. He left. Good thing for him since I had by .45 auto cocked and locked in my right hand.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
My area is so crime free,that the Hidalgo County Sheriffs Dept. is going to start giving classes on how to defend yourself against home invasions and Firearms training.It's really bad down here right across the border

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
There was a period when I sold my guns and quietly put my head in the sand. I took on the vision that my exposure to crime was so low that it would be 1:1,000,000 chance of me being a victim. Then something happened and I realized the odds are now more like 1:100. As our economy continues to tank, the ratio will continue to increase against us all. 'Change we can believe in...'

·
Registered
18 Posts
I take exception to being "paranoid" if you have a weapon readily available.

Are you paranoid to have smoke detectors in your home? Are you paranoid to have fire extinguishers in home/car? Are you paranoid to never go below the half way mark on your gas tank? Are you paranoid to have some extra cash, food, water, medical supplies handy?... I call it "Being Prepared"!
There ya go. :hand56:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts