Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading up on here about short-barrelled self-defense carry ammo and everyone seems to recommend Gold Dot... I carry 230gr .45 Winchester Ranger T's in my Glock 30s and was looking at the Federal HST's as a possible secondary option... which both test great from short barrels according to LuckyGunner ballistic and gelatin testing reviews (source: https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#45ACP).

Gold Dot (short barrel which ranks better than regular Gold Dots) ranks #8 for expansion, #12 for velocity, and #16 for penetration on their test lineup.

Are there any reasons you guys suggest it over the Ranger T's or HST's? The local police departments and sheriff's department here use Ranger T's and they're testing the HST's currently.

Just looking for a reliably expanding self-defense carry round. This little Glock seems to eat just about everything you put in it, but that doesn't mean it'll expand on impact when really needed.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Gold Dots, Ranger T, HST, and Golden Saber are all great choices! That being said IMO you are splitting hairs as to which is better! Go with which ever of those you can get a good deal on. Just my .02 worth!

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
What 5lima30ret said. Any of those will serve you well. Sometimes it comes down to price or what 's currently available.

·
Premium Member
7,472 Posts
Don't overthink it.

Lot's of opinions, especially if you are going to be attacked by ballistic gel blocks clad in multiple layers of denim.

Pick one that works with your gun and stick with it.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Yup...you got your answer. Any of those will more than adequately stop the threat for you. Using what your local department(s) uses is a wise choice.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
I think HST is a newer design from Federal. Gold Dot was state of the art for many years, and has seen widespread usage especially in law enforcement.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Hornady also has developed some great performing rounds. You can hardly go wrong with their products as well. We are in a golden age of ammunition choices.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
My thoughts:
  • Handgun stopping power is an iffy concept to begin with. Differences between similar kinds of ammo are splitting hairs.
  • You will never get attacked by a block of ballistic gel. Yes, I know the idea of it being a repeatable test medium, yadda yadda, but even Army expert who pioneered it and the FBI say that it does not prove one round is better than another. It just sets basic standards for ammo. If a round meets those standards, it is in theory good to go. It is not for stack ranking.
  • I would not take product testing advice from a company that sells that kind of product. There is too much room for bias, even if they sell different brands. There are all sorts of subtle ways manufacturers can influence outcomes.
  • No matter who does the testing, unless testing rigorously excludes bias, confirmation bias can creep into any testing protocol.
So if you believe in the FBI standards and if a bunch of different brand names meet those standards, buy what you want for whatever reason, that it functions well in your gun, price, the color of the box, whatever. BTW, I read an article that Gold Dots are one of the five top brands carried by LEOs. That is not a definitive selection criteria either, but it is as good as any.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
I have always used Gold Dots and still do in my 3 Glocks. I live in the Kansas City metro. Several of the PD's in the metro including my town use Gold Dots. I have read several times it is good in a self defense situation if you use the same round as your PD. Sounds logical to me.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
As far as I see, ballistically, they are all very good choices. In my CC, the Gold Dot is not very good as I get large groups. The Golden Sabre gives me the best group in my EDC. A poor shot with excellent expansion, penetration, and velocity is not a replacement for good shot placement and good expansion, penetration, and velocity.

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
I was reading up on here about short-barrelled self-defense carry ammo and everyone seems to recommend Gold Dot... I carry 230gr .45 Winchester Ranger T's in my Glock 30s and was looking at the Federal HST's as a possible secondary option... which both test great from short barrels according to LuckyGunner ballistic and gelatin testing reviews (source: https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#45ACP).

Gold Dot (short barrel which ranks better than regular Gold Dots) ranks #8 for expansion, #12 for velocity, and #16 for penetration on their test lineup.

Are there any reasons you guys suggest it over the Ranger T's or HST's? The local police departments and sheriff's department here use Ranger T's and they're testing the HST's currently.

Just looking for a reliably expanding self-defense carry round. This little Glock seems to eat just about everything you put in it, but that doesn't mean it'll expand on impact when really needed.

The PDX1 ammo you were using eight years ago didn't work out?

·
Registered
6,340 Posts

Shoot all three in your gun, pick the one that firstly, functions 100%, then, is most accurate, after, not overly hard for you to handle at your skill level/follow up shot speed.

They will all get the job done and I have boxes of all three and a few more brands on my ammo shelf currently.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I would use any of those mentioned as well, but I don't, I use Federal's Train and Protect in my carry pistol. Why? Because the cost is good on a box of 50, it shoots very accurate and does offer great expansion in the various medium I have shot. Is the "better" ammo out there? Yes there is, but this ammo suits my needs just fine without costing 2-3 times more.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I like Gold Dots. That's what I normally keep my EDC stoked with.

As others have already mentioned, any top shelf hollow point ammo will likely perform well if called on. Golden Saber, HST, etc.

Reactions: 5lima30ret
1 - 20 of 35 Posts