Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a recent CCW class I attended, the instructor asked me that question.

I responded with "It depends on the person asking and what mood I am in."

Then we ran over the atypical responses of;
A cop is too heavy
It's my 2nd amendment right
Because I can
So I can defend myself
...and so on​

The conversation boiled down to what his response is after trying to figure out an absolute way to answer in as few words as possible...
In case I need to shoot someone
Which given my line of thinking with the implications of words being the difference between "Need" and "Have" (He might have said "have", I can not remember for sure).

"Need" in this context would indicate an action available with very limited options, whereas "Have" would indicate no options left.

Anyhow, how do you answer when posed with this question?

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
It's a dangerous world and I need to be just as dangerous as any BG I might run into

·
Banned
1,438 Posts
i've actually used the "in case i have to shoot someone" line. my answer varies, but it's usually dependent on the situation, the person asking, and the manner in which they asked.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Read my signature.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
I don't want to die because I was helpless.

·
Registered
156 Posts
All of the above-
-Because I can
-Because I have a duty to preserve the life God has given me within my abilities. (The rest is up to Him, but can I abdicate my part and act foolishly or negligently? Not in good faith.)
-Because I am responsible for protecting my wife and children
-Because there are bad people who may try to kill me and/or my family
-Because cops are not obligated by law to protect me or my family
-Because I have a calling/gifting as a part of a warrior class to stand for right and justice against enemies both foreign and domestic and have pledged my life to fight for such, both on and off duty.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Ah, the dreaded "why do you need or carry a gun?" question.

First, they are baiting you into a discussion on how you do not need to go to that extreme because we have the police to protect us.

Second, they live in a utopian world where everythings is just rosy. How are you going to argue the point that it is not?

Third, it's really none of their business in the first place. Do you ask them questions on why they do what they do? I'm sure they have a valid reason, so do you and they won't get it even if you present it in a manner they could readily understand. Most people asking that question will not wish to be educated on the fine points of why we feel the need to carry a firearm.

I just smile and don't answer the question. That makes the person even more confused and they usually drop the subject.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
In case I need to shoot someone
I think a more apt explanation for me would be "In case I need to shoot something". Two legged threats are not the only thing we face here. I regularly encounter rattlesnakes. Also mountain lions are real here, some bears as of late, and the occasional mean dog all pose threats.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Why do you carry a gun?

To allow me to have a better than average chance to survive a potentially lethal encounter with a dirtbag.:image035:

GBK

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
The reason I carry?

To put it simple, as an American I have the right to defend my life and limb. Carrying a pistol enables me to do just that. Whether bear or BG a pistol will allow me the last line of defense enabling me to walk away from a very bad situation.

Understandable that it is a very powerful dangerous tool indeed, I have taken the initiative to be trained not only how to SAFELY handle and use a pistol but also to know WHEN and HOW a pistol should be used.

Above all I am responsible enough to practice situational awareness as much as pistol safety. I don't look for a fight, I stay away from situations that may turn bad. I am not police, I do not play hero.

Did this answer the question?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Short answer: To help protect the people I love.
Long answer: All of the above.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Back in the 70’s when I was an auxiliary deputy, I was ordered to carry 24/7, and I got use to it and have continued ever since.

But, let me also say this.

Carry a sidearm, gives you options.
Without you are “subject” to “whatever” with no choice.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I like what Blue Jacket, Saber, and Arko said.

For me:
I carry a gun to defend my life and my family's lives against someone bent on doing us harm.

Whoever said that's a baited question is right. The asker is trying to draw you into a drawn-out discussion involving social morays, personal beliefs, and current laws. They're trolling for an argument that YOU won't win, because THEY have already made up their mind.

JoJoGunn is right, too. That's a very personal question that I'd rather not even discuss. Sorta like asking an amputee, "How'd you lose your leg." I'm a laryngectomee (look it up). I've actually had total strangers come up to me and ask, "How'd you get that hole in your throat?" My answer was short and to the point, as you can imagine. NOYB!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I say "I don't know what you are talking about" or "Why DON'T you" or something along those lines

+1 on the smile part!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Short answer: To help protect the people I love.
Long answer: All of the above.
This is the reason for me to carry + all the others!!!!!!!

I may be a victim someday, but the attacker will be in for a fight for his life.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Why?

Because I refuse to be at the mercy of those that seek to do harm.
+1

I refuse to become a WILLING victim. I am not a member of the sheep society.
I started carrying when I was in 2 way radio where I had to go into bad places, and sometimes, in the middle of the night on call outs.
Lets just suffice it to say, that once I had to draw it to prevent being attacked by a doper with a knife. ( I reported it and they caught him)
Because of what this society has become, I will excersize my right to defend myself.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
I am too old to physically (H2H) take on one of the many predators roaming our cities and towns. They seldom work alone anymore anyway. My wife and I do not want to become easy victims, helplessly begging for our lives.
I have taken on the responsibility of SD/HD...I don't expect anyone else to protect me, my family, or my interests...I study and practice to avoid problems in a troubled world.
Being aware of the surroundings is as important as being armed, and I will continue to do both.
:comeandgetsome::yup:

1 - 20 of 89 Posts