Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been contemplating about adding another caliber to my collection (a 10mm XDm Elite Tactical OSP), so I've been watching a lot of ballistic test with 9mm, 40s&w, and 45acp. On paper 10mm seems to beat other handgun calibers hands down, but in these videos, the cavity and penetration are about the same in ballistic gel as is the damage down using other media (wooden boards, water jugs, meat, etc).

Someone convince me why 10mm makes sense for self defense purposes over the other calibers. For the record, I am not worried about capacity, recoil, or ammo price. I am inquiring from a strictly real world proformance angle only.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
1. You would have to change your screen name.
2. If after all the research you say you have done but still need convincing from others then maybe it’s not time yet for you to switch. You say recoil, expense and capacity don’t matter so it all comes down to ballistics. And again you found that in real world testing there’s not that much difference, or enough of one to really be convincing. To me it just sounds like you just want a new toy.
just saying 😎

·
Registered
1 Posts
1. You would have to change your screen name.
2. If after all the research you say you have done but still need convincing from others then maybe it’s not time yet for you to switch. You say recoil, expense and capacity don’t matter so it all comes down to ballistics. And again you found that in real world testing there’s not that much difference, or enough of one to really be convincing. To me it just sounds like you just want a new toy.
just saying 😎
Right..:)

·
Registered
22,955 Posts
I was a big fan of the 10mm way back when it wasn’t popular.

The thing with a 10mm, is, if you could only have one handgun cartridge that could do it all, the 10mm would be a great choice.

If you have other choices that are just as good or exhibit more desirable qualities for a defensive arm, it’s not that great a choice.

·
Registered
12,466 Posts
Whatever you shoot best makes sense. It’s not just the gel test, it’s your ability to shoot accurately, quickly, etc.

And I’m not sure what videos you were watching but it may have to do with the ammo being used. 10mm can range from being more like .40 to .357 mag.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
10mm is a phenomenal round. However, it is expensive and most people won't train enough with it because it is expensive and it is harder on a shooter than other rounds. It takes more practice to shoot it effectively IMHO and therein lies the biggest issue for most.
But the OP said price and recoil didn’t matter to him.

Reactions: APX-9M

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Gel tests are meant to be a comparator.

Ballistically the 10 mm, properly loaded is at the top end of the 357 magnum and very similar to the 41 magnum. The 41 magnum was created to be the ultimate police cartridge, it never really got there. To me, the beauty of the 10mm is that it allows you to carry one for SD against critters and BG's effectively just by swapping ammo. My handloads, by using published data push a 155 grn JHP @ 1400 fps. That is an excellent defensive load. I have 2 1911's chambered in 10mm, a Wilson CQB 5" and a Fusion Commander. The Fusion fast became a favorite. Sure the polymer wonders are lighter and higher capacity but for something like the 10mm I prefer a bit heavier gun.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
10mm is a phenomenal round. However, it is expensive and most people won't train enough with it because it is expensive and it is harder on a shooter than other rounds. It takes more practice to shoot it effectively IMHO and therein lies the biggest issue for most.
Practice with 40's.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Gel tests are meant to be a comparator.
yep......same thing for water jugs, wet phone books, etc, etc.......great for comparing one caliber against another in that media.

and for goodness sakes......not every bad guy wears 4 layers of denim.....:rolleyes:

but jello has its uses......i particularly like it to re-enforce murphy's law....one round might be perfect...the same round might penetrate deeper than they like with less expansion.....right beside it...

same goes for some ammo that is "perfect".....and the next same batch test round practically flies apart without enough penetration......according to the jello.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I've been contemplating about adding another caliber to my collection (a 10mm XDm Elite Tactical OSP), so I've been watching a lot of ballistic test with 9mm, 40s&w, and 45acp. On paper 10mm seems to beat other handgun calibers hands down, but in these videos, the cavity and penetration are about the same in ballistic gel as is the damage down using other media (wooden boards, water jugs, meat, etc).

Someone convince me why 10mm makes sense for self defense purposes over the other calibers. For the record, I am not worried about capacity, recoil, or ammo price. I am inquiring from a strictly real world proformance angle only.
I love the .45 so, I can't help you here. I'm out! 🤣😎

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
When S&W makes a 10mm Shield, I'll give it some definite consideration. Until then, I don't see a platform in 10mm that meets my carry needs.
I am kind of in the same boat waiting for Glock to make the G36 in 10mm. I am a fan of the 10mm and have the G20 but think that the Glock in a single stack 6 shot would make a great CC gun.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
The ballistics and performance are great on a 10mm and I am a fan of the caliber but the G20 is too big IMO for CC on a daily basis. One of the reasons I like it like others have said you can get it in a lot of different bullet weights for different applications. I have thought about the G29 but think the recoil might be a bit much.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
just saying 😎
That is pretty much it. I didn't know much about the caliber until very recently other than hearing other gun owners rave about it. I assumed that 10mm would have a capacity issue, but then I saw that the G29, which is basically amost a G26 sized 10mm held that held 10 rounds too. I later learned that you can shoot 40s&w out of a 10mm handgun. Then S&W came out with a 10mm M&P 2.0 and Springfield had the XDm Elite Compact in 10mm as well, and members across gun forum members seemed to be very delighted. I also have been pondering a S&W revolver in 10mm (seen a used one in my area on ArmsList)...

The problem is that after watching several comparisons videos, I was left with feeling that there was no point in EDCing a small 10mm when I already have small carry size 40s&w and 45acp pistols and 357 and 44mag revolvers. I still want one, but it just doesn't make sense. Was hoping someone would help it make sense lol. I guess I will most likely buy a XDm Elite Compact in 9mm.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts