Defensive Carry banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
It was dominant in some regions. Two factors played into that politics and cost. Having seen and investigated numerous people shot with various things as well as discussed it with other investigators I am of the opinion that the 357 magnum is significantly more effective than the 38 Special. If one is not dedicated enough to master the 357 magnum it is certainly best to stay with the 38 Special. The 9mm +P+ on the other hand seems to work about as good as the 357 mag when fired from service pistol length barrels. Maybe that is why I like the 357 Sig.

Short run? Yea I guess 80 years is a short run to some. For example, Jelly Bryce traded his 44 Specials for 357 magnums in the 1930's. The treasure load you reference was the 110 grain magnum, not the 110 grain special. The other factor is that many people jut cannot handle the 357 magnum.

OK, A bunch of lawyers and accountants........Since the 1930's the FBI has been pretty much a white collar crime enforcement agency. They easy get out of their depth. We had one here using a propane tank as cover serving a warrant. If you want to look at a Federal Agency that uses its guns look to the USBP.

It is cheap and easy to shoot.

Yep, gotta read between the lines.

We all have our opinions. The 357 magnum is one of my all time favorite cartridges, almost neck and neck with the 44 magnum. Noise and blast are range issues. When the adrenaline dumps you will experience sensory deprivation.

All of those a great cartridges, isn't it great to have those options. But I don't see many big bore snubbies the size of a J frame 357 magnum.
I've always liked the .357 Magnum. It was my first center fire handgun, in the form of a new Ruger Blackhawk 3-screw purchased in December, 1968. Killed a deer with it in November, 1969. An excellent gun which I wish I still had. My current .357 is a Ruger Security Six Stainless 4" barrel which I purchased new in 1972. Fabulous gun and very accurate.

BTW, nice writeup.

·
Super Moderator
21,933 Posts
OK, A bunch of lawyers and accountants........Since the 1930's the FBI has been pretty much a white collar crime enforcement agency. They easy get out of their depth.
And they would have continued to get their collective asses kicked if not for J. Edgar being smart enough to realize you can't put pencil pushers up against real gunman and expect them to win. Waiving the requirement for a college degree allowed them to hire their own mankillers, "Hoover's Gunslingers." Most of them didn't have anything more than a high school education, Charles Winstead, Clarence O. Hurt, "Jerry" Campbell (1 year of college), "Jelly" Bryce, George Franklin and others, allowing them to carry their prefered weapons.

Maybe the FBI should revisit those hiring practices. :wink:

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
And they would have continued to get their collective asses kicked if not for J. Edgar being smart enough to realize you can't put pencil pushers up against real gunman and expect them to win. Waiving the requirement for a college degree allowed them to hire their own mankillers, "Hoover's Gunslingers." Most of them didn't have anything more than a high school education, Charles Winstead, Clarence O. Hurt, "Jerry" Campbell (1 year of college), "Jelly" Bryce, George Franklin and others, allowing them to carry their prefered weapons.

Maybe the FBI should revisit those hiring practices. :wink:
Unfortunately, I don’t see that ever happening. The metal of a man has been replaced in our society by the type of paper diploma he possesses as the benchmark of hiring process in just about every genre of jobs and occupation.....

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,822 Posts
I look at the required use, the carry gun, and the caliber. I only trust a .38 special or 9mm for bad breath fighting distances.

Most people today want the smallest lightest handgun available for self defense. The smaller and lighter the gun, the more felt recoil and muzzle flip. Most go with a .38 special or 9mm for less felt recoil and muzzle flip.

If I were to carry only a .38 special, I would want a 6" barrel revolver with +p ammo to get the most out of the cartridge. If I were to only carry a 9mm, I would want a 5" barrel semi-auto with +P ammo to get the most out of the cartridge.

I like .357 magnum, .40 S&W, 10mm, ,45 ACP, and .44 magnum for concealed self-defense carry guns depending on where I am and what I am doing that day. I prefer a minimum of a 4" barrel on a revolver and a minimum of 4.5" barrel on a semi-auto.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I have never thought of the 9mm as powerful.
Thank you Bad Bob.

Of course you don't think much of .38 Special either and that's ok.

Thing is the .38 Special is underrated these days and the 9mm is overrated in my opinion. They are no more than two peas in a pod and I prefer the best of the .38 Special performance ammunition over any 9mm ammunition. The 9mm pistols just hold lots of ammo.
I look at the required use, the carry gun, and the caliber. I only trust a .38 special or 9mm for bad breath fighting distances.

Ohh, agreement that 9mm is ... lacking. :vs_devil:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Part of the power of 9mm is the lack thereof it. Most of the time a bullet over penetrates it wastes energy. Compared with more powerful faster/heavier, faster/lighter and slower/heavier calibers, 9mm has enough energy to minimize over penetration even with FMJ (not that FMJ's are a good idea, they're not). This why a .44 Magnum in one study of real gunfights failed to incapacitate on average 13% of the time which was tied with 9mm even though it was about twice as powerful (it was also tied with .40 S&W at 13% and edged out .45 ACP which came in at 14%). Unlike the more powerful calibers, however, over half of the 456 people shot with 9mm were shot with FMJ's. In other words, sometimes less is more. For brown bears, more is more. For people, however, often (but not always) less is more. However, it should be noted that you can squeeze out some stopping power with greater power. .357 SIG was tied with .357 Magnum and centerfire rifles only failing to stop someone 9%. Note, a .357 SIG is just a faster 9mm (it has a .355" diameter and not .357" like its namesake). As such, the .355" caliber tends to be ideal for stopping two legged creatures in my opinion. Even .380 ACP, which is also .355", was almost as effective only failing 16% of the time compared to say .25 ACP & .32 ACP which failed 35% to 40% of the time.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Good explanations and history, posters. This is one of the reasons I like this forum so much - very knowledgeable people willing to share. Thanks all!

41 - 47 of 47 Posts