Excellent speech!

·
Registered
297 Posts
X2... That was a great video.

·
Registered
45 Posts
politicions see that as a good thing. That the "military" have those guns. NOT the American "public" that wish to defend themselves let alone their families and businesses. politicions think that police can handle such cercumstances when they arise. Well I'm sorry, but what politicion thinks that is smoking a big fat bong all the while having an orgie with the rest of their political party as truely the police can't handle every situation in any city. Public that is armed is a safe public. If everyone has guns on themselves then truely there'd be far less crime than there is now.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Great speech! I really think while he was talking about a military force in use for peace, it can translate to the average citizen and "why we choose a gun".

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wow that was awesome and a great fine. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I suppose I'll be the voice of dissent.

Speaking of the gun purely as a tool of destruction, cherishing the fact that it makes people uncomfortable because guns are not a part of his peoples' lives, correlating the lack of guns and fear of them with a peaceful society. Praising the state monopoly on the use of force. The assumption that the constitutionally-governed government is the be all, end all of creating nonviolent societies. Assuming that one way we can do away with the one use of force that we here know to equalize a 70 year old woman and a 20 year old gangbanger, the 100 lb woman and the 200 lb rapist, the lone black man and the group of racial bigots.

Sorry. I'm not buying what he's selling.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
TED is one of my favorites.

He's really talking about international politics and the spread of constitutional societies having checks and balances vs dictatorships and strong man warlord rulers. However, he does mean a state monopoly on violence.

@ about 10:00 in the video:

"...one of the main drivers behind less-violent societies is the spread of the constitutional state and the introduction on a large scale of the state monopoly on the legitimized use of violence; legitimized by a Democratically elected government; legitimized by checks and balances, and an independent judicial system. In other words, a state monopoly that has the use of of violence well under control".

·
Banned
12,069 Posts
I chose a gun cause I can throw my rounds alot farther than I can throw my knife..:rolleyes:
That General has a great skill as a public speaker. I can't say that I agree with everything he said.

As an aside the forward Grip- Bipod looks as tho it works well enough for the Netherlands Armed Forces. Three or four years ago I was able to acquire one of these forward Grip-Bipod attachments at a WAC show. I think I'll mount it on my #1 10-22.:blink:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I feel it's gonna be a long while before as was said in that video, "humane peaceful Ideals and conflict come into agreement"... globally or even regionally, let alone locally.

Until then, the only reason I have firearms is exactly akin to the signature posted right here in this forum…

When response times are measured in minutes, it is within those seconds I am obliged to take action, if I am to survive. My life and well being are my ultimate responsibilities.

I must at least attempt to provide for myself and mine, some degree of protection… if possible, from violence forced upon me by those who stand outside the boundaries of civility and sensibility… so I own guns once more.

Of course I’d own land mines and Shrike missles too perhaps, if Walmart sold them. The big downside to land mines is realy going to be a game changer for the pizza delivery guy and the lawn service folks… and me, as my memory isn’t what it used to be.

Lastly, it is grandiose and ultimately fruitless to attempt to further any other notion if it’s aim is to solidly halt or merely to ward off some locally organized militia or worse still, some Federal onslaut which may strive to forceably take away my own meager defenses. Such a fight is lost before it begins were I to stand against it alone. A war such as that must be fought in the confines of our own political battleground if ever there is a chance for victory, it is there. All else is useless to consider.

Millennia have come and gone and the human condition remains resolute in it’s desire to kill it’s members off, due to little more than differences of opinion. I don’t see much more evolvment along the lines of accepting our myriad of differences coming down the pike anytime soon.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Nice video, it is good to have a gun for safety purpose in the home. But the most important thing is that guns should not goes in the hands of wrong person involves in any crime.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts