Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lady friend is a nursing instructor. One of her students isn't doing too well. She was "informing" me why this girl is flunking out. One reason is she is not turning in her homework.

Well, tonight, we are having dinner and the conversation goes something like this:

Ladyfriend (LF): Remember that girl who is flunking out because she is not turning in her assignments?

Me: Yes.

LF: Well she come up to me the other day and said she wanted to explain why I didn't turn in my homework.

She then recounted the story. I am probably not going to get all the details correct, but apparently, she was downtown on a Saturday, sitting in a big, outdoors, crowded community square/meeting place talking on the phone with her parents in another state. All of a sudden she feels this sharp pain in her back. She puts down the phone and gets abducted by some escapee who proceeds to use her as a hostage at knife point. Police come to ultimately save the day, but she was needless to say a bit distraught for a week or so.

I told her to cut this girl some slack. :tumbleweed:

This poor girl never had any situational awareness and lived in a sheep world where she thought nothing bad would ever happen to her. Reality quickly set in in the middle of the day, in public with lots of people around. I bet she is going to take some measures to protect herself.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I'm glad she is ok and it should open her eyes, because she probably won't get a second chance, to live thru another situation like that.....

If it's not the truth, it's one of the best 'no homework' stories ever told...

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
.... I bet she is going to take some measures to protect herself.
Don't count on it. I know of victims and family members of violent crimes victims who steadfastly refuse to face reality or their own responsibility for their own protection.

It's just another version of everyone else is at fault/wrong except me.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Glad she's ok if true.
The total lack of SA by people out and about always amazes me. I actually tried to educate a young acquaintance the other day when I spotted her in the Wally World parking lot. Completely unaware I was there. Bags in one hand, wallet in the other, no thought to rummage for keys in her purse until she got to her car. Perfect thug target.

·
Registered
82 Posts
And you and your friend bought this story? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

The dog ate my homework!!!

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
I bet she is going to take some measures to protect herself.
That would be interesting to follow-up on. I hope she does. Sadly I think that some sheep victims might justify that they have no need to alter their lives since they think that the chances of something like that happening to them again is slim

Don't get me wrong, I know that some victims really respond to begin taking care of themselves. I hope this girl wakes up to the world around her.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
... this girl is flunking out.

... she is not turning in her homework.

... [She] gets abducted ... at knife point ... [and] was needless to say a bit distraught for a week or so.
She's flunking due to one week failure to turn in homework, out of an entire semester that ends in ~3wks? I don't buy it, if it's just over this one instance.

She must be a perpetual "Dog ate it" type of student.

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
Yakking on her phone in public, oblivious to everything around her is believable. I see it everywhere, every day. The rest of her story.......Hmmmm.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Yakking on her phone in public, oblivious to everything around her is believable. I see it everywhere, every day.
So do I. I simply shake my head at the craziness of it all. Not one of them realizes how many people within 50yds are people watching, taking in the view of which folks are sheep, unprepared, incapable of defending, likely to have valuables, likely to "taste" good, or whatever. Bad juju, diggin' around in one's electronics without a care.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
The story is easy enough to check out to see if it is for real. If it is give her some slack on that 1 weeks work, if not slam her for stupidity and tell her to try the "alien abduction" story at her next school!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Don't count on it. I know of victims and family members of violent crimes victims who steadfastly refuse to face reality or their own responsibility for their own protection.

Very true .............. unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
The student's story would be more believable if she didn't have a history of not turning in her homework.

While her story may be true, I suspect it may be another excuse she made up.

Her story should be easy enough to verify.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I agree with Grady...is there a pattern?
I work with seniors in a high school. I pretty much know who is going to have another story for a neglected assignment. They can be very convincing, but after the sixth one...come on...:twak:
Remember?...Excuses are like >>>'elbows', everybody has a couple of them? Some just have tons of elbows.:yup:

·
Registered
571 Posts

This is dumb founding and true. I remember watching some of the videos on the 'Students for Concealed Carry on Campus' website and I just couldn't believe the attitudes of some of the anti-carry folks.

Take this 04/07/09 CNN interview with SCCC Founder Michael Guzman and John Woods for example. John Woods' girlfriend was killed at Virginia Tech, and he adamantly denies that a student with a weapon could have helped the situation.

Then there is this 02/19/2008 CNN interview with SCCC member W. Scott Lewis and Garrett Evans. Garrett Evans was shot in both legs during the Virginia Tech incident and he vehemently denies that students and young people are mature enough to handle concealed firearms. Evans also denies that an armed person stands a better chance against an armed assailant. He goes so far as to say that criminals are smarter than college students.

It's just shocking what people will believe if it's spoon fed to them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The student's story would be more believable if she didn't have a history of not turning in her homework.

Her story should be easy enough to verify.
That's exactly what I was thinking, too. First thing I'd have asked if I were the teacher is if I could take a look at the mark on her back (don't have quick access to the OP, but I recall it sounded like she was stabbed or something similar -- if I'm not tracking straight on that, please disregard). Also, if I'd been the student, I probably would have beaten the teacher to that question, as well as pointing her to the police blotter. I'd be very interested to know how this whole thing turns/turned out. Hope the OP keeps us all posted.

Just my thoughts, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts

Yeah why should she need to protect herself? You said the police showed up and saved her. Don't they always get there in time and manage to eliminate the threat?

The above sarcasim is in no way meant to belittle the dangerous and difficult job that LEO's perform.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts