Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:smile::Just Kiddin'!!
Here's what I'm talking about because of all the great info and opinions on DC: After considerable thinking (and reading of posts) I'm changing my EDC set-up.
For awhile my pistol of choice was either a G19 or 26, with my Colts being "safe queens."
Well, things are going to change. As the weather gets colder (cold in SW Georgia is a relative term compared to NY! :rolleyes:)
I think the Colt Gov't series 70 is coming oout. I need new quality mags (I have 6 Wilson-Rogers for my Officer's Model, so may go that route) but, have everything else.
I think my G19 (with an added light) will be my house gun and the G26 will be the "warm weather" EDC.
I Don't have a BUG, but that's another story.....................!! Thoughts on my switch up ????????????? THANKS! :smile:

·
Super Moderator
17,287 Posts
Workks for me, EDC SA 3" Micro-Compact.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Well I went the other way, my Kimbers are now in the safe and my Glock-36 is my EDC.
:yup:

My opinion of your decision? Keep the Glock-19.:wave:

·
Registered
500 Posts
As long as your EDC functions 100%, and hits where you aim, it's a good EDC...

The reason I "hate" this site is that I am, as many folks here are, not a rich person, and have to look at all of these fine pistols day in and day out, knowing that I just can't afford them.

Your EDC choices could be worse ones, that's for sure...

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Good plan. Hard to beat a 1911 for SD. Best handgun for taking out a BG ever made and it's all steel.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Every day is a good day to cary a 1911

·
Administrator
143,830 Posts
Sounds real good to me.

Hummmm....Wolff Gunsprings just started selling Wolff Magazines.
and you KNOW they will already have Wolff springs in them. :biggrin2:
Then....Tripp Research makes a great magazine. The Cobra Mag.
WILSON - of course.

~~> The Mec-Gar 1911 mags are really super high quality for the money. :yup:

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
The 1911 is acceptable, but the Hi Power is a better gun and addresses the weak points of the 1911 design. :smile:

If I didn't carry a Hi Power on my time, I'd have to settle for a 1911. Just spend some time getting the Thumb Safety ingrained into your muscle memory.

Biker

·
Registered
500 Posts
The 1911 is acceptable, but the Hi Power is a better gun and addresses the weak points of the 1911 design. :smile:

If I didn't carry a Hi Power on my time, I'd have to settle for a 1911. Just spend some time getting the Thumb Safety ingrained into your muscle memory.

Biker
If I were going to carry an all steel pistol, it would be a BHP Mark III in 40 S&W. I had one years ago, and tears well up just a bit when I think back to the day I sold it. My hand simply will not fit a 1911, but the BHP seems that it was forged to fit me.

·
Registered
500 Posts
BTW, if I knew I was going to get into a gunfight, I'd make tracks and drag all of the "friendlies" with me!!!

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Good plan. Hard to beat a 1911 for SD. Best handgun for taking out a BG ever made and it's all steel.

The following are quotes/excerpts from Gabe Suarez, from his article, Why the 9.

In my educated and experienced opinion, ALL handgun calibers will do about the same things in flesh. I have had ER docs tell me directly that it is impossible to tell what caliber a bullet is in the ER by the damage it does. We have info of the same things happening with just about every caliber out there. Chuck Taylor told me once of a Viet Cong who got his entire shoulder blown off by a 50 BMG that kept charging until he bled out. So again IMHO, the arguement of the Power Of The Pistol is simply a silly idea.

Modern Technique schools created a cult of the 1911/45 and believe that it would work 19 times out of 20. Yet, Fairbairn, a man who was operational in the same general era as Cooper, states that one man he knew emptied his 45 into a thug whom he had to club into unconsciousness with the empty pistol after he kept fighting. So much for legendary stopping power.

I have seen guys get shot with just about everything and nothing will work every time. I know of a guy shot in the chest with a shotgun slug and who not only survived but kept fighting. The ONLY sure way, outside of a clean brain shot, and that is still in question, is to multiply the damage. How do we do that? by lots and lots of holes....hopefully in chest and face.

Choose based on shootability - ignore the caliber...can you manage the weapon's size in your hand, in daily carry? Then choose on capacity. More ammo is more better. You will NOT be dropping one man with one shot. It will be taking more. One man, no big deal. Two men, maybe not a big deal. Three men and your seven shots begin looking bad. Four men and you will be forced to reload. But not with a high capacity weapon. Caliber is the last consideration to me.

Just food for thought

They're all very good from 9mm on up,-- .32, .380 fair, and anything below that, with LUCK will kill/stop.

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

·
Registered
500 Posts
The following are quotes/excerpts from Gabe Suarez, from his article, Why the 9.

In my educated and experienced opinion, ALL handgun calibers will do about the same things in flesh. I have had ER docs tell me directly that it is impossible to tell what caliber a bullet is in the ER by the damage it does. We have info of the same things happening with just about every caliber out there. Chuck Taylor told me once of a Viet Cong who got his entire shoulder blown off by a 50 BMG that kept charging until he bled out. So again IMHO, the arguement of the Power Of The Pistol is simply a silly idea.

Modern Technique schools created a cult of the 1911/45 and believe that it would work 19 times out of 20. Yet, Fairbairn, a man who was operational in the same general era as Cooper, states that one man he knew emptied his 45 into a thug whom he had to club into unconsciousness with the empty pistol after he kept fighting. So much for legendary stopping power.

I have seen guys get shot with just about everything and nothing will work every time. I know of a guy shot in the chest with a shotgun slug and who not only survived but kept fighting. The ONLY sure way, outside of a clean brain shot, and that is still in question, is to multiply the damage. How do we do that? by lots and lots of holes....hopefully in chest and face.

Choose based on shootability - ignore the caliber...can you manage the weapon's size in your hand, in daily carry? Then choose on capacity. More ammo is more better. You will NOT be dropping one man with one shot. It will be taking more. One man, no big deal. Two men, maybe not a big deal. Three men and your seven shots begin looking bad. Four men and you will be forced to reload. But not with a high capacity weapon. Caliber is the last consideration to me.

Just food for thought

They're all very good from 9mm on up,-- .32, .380 fair, and anything below that, with LUCK will kill/stop.

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
Well, I've read that point of view several times, and can't say much against it. It makes sense. I would caution anyone, however, not to judge much from a "I once saw a man..." for every "once" failure, how many successful stops, for any caliber?

But I also do not believe in one shot stops.

I like the 45ACP better than the 9mm for exactly the point you made here: "The ONLY sure way, outside of a clean brain shot, and that is still in question, is to multiply the damage." My 230gr Gold Dot JHPs (loaded hot by Double Tap) SHOULD always make a measurably larger (diameter and depth) hole than most 9mm rounds.

Instead of using "more holes", I'm an advocate of larger holes.

My logic behind the choice of "more holes" versus "bigger holes" is the miss factor. In the end, missing happens much more than hitting. Of the 10 to 19 shots you took with your 9mm, how much tissue damage was done? (No, not you personally, but the average CCW shooter.) Now, out of my 7 to 13 shots of 45ACP, same question? If we both miss 85% of the time (an average I've been told that trained Officers miss), how much damage did we both do, and who has the better chance of stopping a life threatening attack? We are both likely to have center mass hits once or twice per mag fired.

If I'm only going to have an average chance of hitting once or twice out of my full mag, I want the biggest and deepest hole (holes) I can do, given a controllable firearm. No, I'm not going to CCW a Desert Eagle 50AE based on my logic. Past the 45APC, recoil makes them all pretty much a single shot, as far as defense goes, in my opinion...

·
Registered
10,991 Posts
If you are used to your Glocks, with no external manual safety, I would stick with that.

The whole 1911 vs Glock, .45 vs 9mm thing is old and busted.

I just don't see why you would change.

I carry a G26, so you know what my opinion is, FWIW.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I hate this site as well. :wink:I just sold my trusty Walther PPK .380 for a Walther PPS 9mm. I figured with all the crap going on (i.e. office,school, mall shootings by lunatics) I want a little bump in my self defense gun. This Walther is so light and thin, with the 6 round magazine, it's practically the same size as the PPK!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Hummmm....Wolff Gunsprings just started selling Wolff Magazines.
Hmmm didn't know Wolff was getting into the mag business, gonna have to check that out! :bier:

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I just changed mine too. I was carrying my Kahr CW9 and loved the ease of carry, but I've been wanting to go to the .45 for some time and was thinkin of the Kimber line of 1911s. I came across the G36 while at the store and really liked the way the slimmer Glock felt, so I chose it over the larger and heavier 1911.

Good luck with the change over, it sounds like a solid plan to me... :bier:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts