Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I obtained my LTC I have carried with a full magazine but without a round chambered. My firearm (S&W M&P 9c) does not have a manual safety so I thought it best to not carry chambered. However, after watching much of the Zimmerman case (not trying to discuss this case at all but just as a reference point) I realized that there are clear situations where I may not have the opportunity to charge my pistol when I may need to deploy my firearm. So now, and as uncomfortable as it is, I carry chambered.

I'm just curious as to whether or not others feel I've made the right decision.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
You have indeed made the right decision. And I'm happy that the Z trial as provided you with something more than controversy.

There are a lot of scenarios that you can play out in your head where it would be impossible to charge your weapon if you were attacked. If you need to use one arm to block an attack, you wouldn't be able to use it to rack the slide. If your attacker is holding onto your arm, again, it would be unavailable.

And that's just two scenarios, both of which are entirely plausible.

·
Registered
134 Posts
it only matters what you are personally comfortable with. I would carry with one in the chamber myself, but there are plenty of folks who will not, due to personal comfort or reasons.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Darn right you made the right choice. Look, what many practice to defend against AINT the way its going to go down.

You might very well find yourself hit in the face with a bottle or bat, as you walk past a corner. At that point you are going to be on the ground, drawing from that position, and you most certainly wont have time, or the state of mind to chamber a round.

Ever since I obtained my LTC I have carried with a full magazine but without a round chambered. My firearm (S&W M&P 9c) does not have a manual safety so I thought it best to not carry chambered. However, after watching much of the Zimmerman case (not trying to discuss this case at all but just as a reference point) I realized that there are clear situations where I may not have the opportunity to charge my pistol when I may need to deploy my firearm. So now, and as uncomfortable as it is, I carry chambered.

I'm just curious as to whether or not others feel I've made the right decision.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
Yes, you've made the right decision. And you made it before it was too late and you had to learn it the hard way.

IMO, if you don't carry chambered you shouldn't carry at all.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Yes, you've made the right decision. And you made it before it was too late and you had to learn it the hard way.

IMO, if you don't carry chambered you shouldn't carry at all.
Unless you like gun-shaped hammers.

StormRhydr made a great point about state-of-mind. My argument was centered around ability, but state of mind is important. You're going to be thinking about nothing but "DRAW AND FIRE". You're going to draw, then fire, and here a very LOUD *click*.

And then you'll wonder for the next couple minutes why you're gun didn't go off while you're getting the crap kicked out of you.

So again, yes, you made the right decision.

·
Registered
10,298 Posts
If your gun has a safety against accidental discharge from dropping - which nearly all modern defensive guns do, and an M&P certainly does - then you really don't have to worry about carrying one in the chamber. Police do it too. Just make sure it's properly holstered with the trigger completely covered, and make sure to holster carefully to avoid catching the trigger, and you're good to go.

To give you some peace of mind, a firing pin block - which I'm 99% sure is what's in the M&P - is a little bar that's pushed into the firing pin assembly to keep it from moving and striking the primer. Pulling the trigger not only sets off the striker, it also is the only way to move that little bar out of the way. These are two seperate mechanisms that both happen to be operated by the trigger. So, even in the EXTREMELY unlikely event that something causes the striker to go off and TRY to push the firing pin forward into the primer, the firing pin block will prevent it, unless the trigger is pulled. It's a very smart and safe design.

·
Banned
732 Posts
Your gun was meant to be carried with a round chambered. The manufacturer has gone to tremendous lengths to make it safe for you to do so. If you do your part, carrying a gun with a round chambered is no more dangerous than carrying one unchambered.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Good for you! Chamber it, put in a good holster and within a short time you'll wonder why you didn't do it the whole time.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Just be sure your holster covers the trigger and learn to be very careful and deliberate when you re-holster.

I know folks who carry unchambered and think they are fast on the draw, but to accomplish this they have to practice and practice.

The problem with unchambered carry is what happens if your weak hand is disabled or occupied before you draw.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I carry chambered, have since the day I got my permit.

A good holster that protects the trigger, a reliable and safe firearm, i.e. no hammer that can snag on clothing and cause a discharge, trigger safety and grip safety, drop safety. Draw, aim, shoot, no worry about chambering a round or taking a thumb safety off. You will find a lot of people with guns that have thumb safety don't use it as they nothing in the way of defending themselves.

Too often we hear of a carry gun being dropped and discharging, such as Wife drops gun at McDonald's, accidentally shoots husband. Nobody should carry that such a POS gun, at least not loaded.

Now, (if possible), leave it in the holster, or if you have to un-holster to put in safe, etc., don't routinely unload and then rechamber the next time you carry. This is when AD's happen, and often with LEO's who have supposedly carried a firearm every day for years and years.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now, (if possible), leave it in the holster, or if you have to un-holster to put in safe, etc., don't routinely unload and then rechamber the next time you carry. This is when AD's happen, and often with LEO's who have supposedly carried a firearm every day for years and years.
Excellent advice....thanks!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Bad guys seldom announce their intentions or make appointments. Be prepared.

·
Registered
10,298 Posts
I carry chambered, have since the day I got my permit.

A good holster that protects the trigger, a reliable and safe firearm, i.e. no hammer that can snag on clothing and cause a discharge, trigger safety and grip safety, drop safety. Draw, aim, shoot, no worry about chambering a round or taking a thumb safety off. You will find a lot of people with guns that have thumb safety don't use it as they nothing in the way of defending themselves.

Too often we hear of a carry gun being dropped and discharging, such as Wife drops gun at McDonald's, accidentally shoots husband. Nobody should carry that such a POS gun, at least not loaded.

Good point - if the gun isn't safe with a round in the chamber, it shouldn't be carried. Unfortunately I clicked on the link and read some of the comments - I think I lost about 40 IQ points. Hopfullee its temperary.

Reactions: XD40SCiinNC

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
You made the right decision. Comfort will come with time. But if you start feeling uncomfortable just remind yourself why you are doing it. Its like learning to carry all over.

Sent from my DROID RAZR cuz robots are cooler than fruit.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was apprehensive to carry chambered at first. Then I read a lot about timing, reaction times, the process that your brain uses during an event, the distance a bad guy can travel in 1-2 seconds, etc. it started to make sense. I began carrying chambered and after a week or so I began to feel very comfortable.

After learning even more and understanding modern gun safety I truly believe that carrying a gun not chambered is a tremendous strategic mistake based on ignorance that causes fear. I'm not trying to be self righteous or disrespectful; I was that way at one time just like many people.

You are safer now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same model I carry every day aiwb, no safety, round chambered. That's the reason for a trigger safety, good call on going chambered

1 - 20 of 84 Posts