Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Delaware and have seen the application and steps necessary to obtain a CCDW permit in this State. While most of it makes sense to me (fees, passport photograph, application, fingerprints), there are two things that I find totally stupid. Namely:

1. The fact that I need to get written "reference questionnaires" from 5 different citizens from my County. This means I have to personally ask someone to fill out a 1 page paper stating that I'm not a crazed killer and that they'd be ok w/ me carrying a concealed weapon.

Great, there's 5 people that didn't have to know my desire to carry a concealed weapon.

and even worse:

2. The fact that I need to arrange with a newspaper of general circulation in my County to have my application published once, at least (10) days before the filing of my application with the Court. Newspaper of selection must have a circulation of at least 35% of the population in my zip code. AND, I have to use my whole name and my home address.

Oh, ok. Now the general public knows my name, my address, and the fact that I'll probably have a concealed weapon on me.

How freakin' stupid is this?? Isn't the basic definition of "concealed" something like "to prevent disclosure or recognition of, or to place out of sight"??? Don't you think it defeats the purpose of "concealed" when you announce this concept to the general public in a freakin' newspaper??

Maybe it's just me, but these 2 steps in completing my application are really rediculous and unnecessary, and totally defeat the concept of "concealed carry."

Add to these issues the fact that Delaware is a "may issue" State. After all of this, the judge can still deny my application for whatever reason.

Aaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Years ago - before I got mine - I heard Alabama had some requirements like getting a few signed ref's saying your ok.

Now you just go into the Sheriff's Dept - Hand over your Drivers license - wait for a quick computer background search - They call you up to the desk (as long as no felony's or anything shows up) - you pay 20 bucks - get your photo taken - they print out your Photo Pistol permit and your done. About 20 min's total in and out....

The next year you get a renewal notice and send a check in the mail & get the next years back in the mail within a couple weeks...

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Got to agree with you Dave, that is pretty stupid. The requirments are probably there to deter people from even trying to get a permit. This way they can claim to be a state that grants permits, they just don't tell you the mind numbing process they put applicants through to get one.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
only suggestion i have is MOVE TO A FREE STATE lol .

·
Registered
10,806 Posts
Get Utah or Florida non-resident. In Florida Jeb Bush has signed a law which shields CCW license holder's information from public record disclosure.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I see the laws in DE haven't changed, since I left10 years ago. I heard they lightened up a bit, aparently not, I had to got through all the crap you're explaining dave, to get mine. It took almost a year for me, I think they just make it such a pain, so people won't bother. Delaware's state motto "A small wonder", yeah it's a small wonder I lived there as long as I did. OBTW dave you hail from Wilmington I used to live in Newark.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What's worse is that the proposed "shall issue" law doesn't change any of that nonsense, and in fact makes it worse: if the law passes as amended, the courts will then have access to all of your medical records, and there will be something like 15 new places that are off-limits.

It's stupid, I totally agree. PA's process (which sounds like Alabama's) is much better. I am thinking of advising my dad to move just cross the border into West Chester.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yea, its rediculously(sp?) easy to get a permit in Alabama.

Dave, its a shame that Delaware makes people that want to defend them selves anonimously(sp?) take an add out in a paper to inform everybody that you want to carry a conceiled handgun.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Dave, its a shame that Delaware makes people that want to defend them selves anonimously(sp?) take an add out in a paper to inform everybody that you want to carry a conceiled handgun.[/QUOTE]

Like thats not bad enough, when I lived there, if someone sent a letter to the editor of the newspaper, stating they didn't feel comfortable, with you carrying a hand gun, your application was denied. How's that for democracy?:sheep:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Suggestion

Get an out of state permit from somewhere that Delaware recognizes. From the NRA-ILA website these states are recognized by DE: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Kentucky, Michigan, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah. From what I understand Utah, Florida, and Texas are some good ones to have.

It's a shame there's no reciprocity with PA:hand1:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Oregon requires three references (on paper) but the newspaper ad just sucks. Just place it in the "legal notices" part of the classifieds which hardly anyone reads unless they specify where you have to put it.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Delaware is so stupid because it's getting a lot of garbage contamination from New Jersey. :rofl:

It's crazy when publications decide they're doing society a service when they decide to publish the identities of all the permitholders in their state. I've never followed Delaware's permit process, so it's a shock to me that they make you publish your application, plus get the 5 written referances. But then again, I live in TN.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Delaware is so stupid because it's getting a lot of garbage contamination from New Jersey.
That's only part of the problem. They also share a border with MD who isn't far behind NJ in their gun genius.

Speaking of NJ, here's a good one:
Assembly Bill 2602, which would ban possession and purchase of any and all ammunition by anyone who does not possess a valid firearms purchaser identification card (NJFID), a certified copy of a permit to purchase a handgun (need a NJFID in order to get this therefore redundantly redundant), a valid permit to carry a handgun (ha), or a valid New Jersey hunting license (not sure if they banned hunting yet) has passed the House and is awaiting a hearing in the Senate.

In summary if you are from out of state and in NJ you can not possess or buy ammo, period. Let this be the last we speak of this.

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
I wonder why some of this stuff reminds me so much of back in UK when I still had my guns - except I find it hard to equate ''right'' as in America, with ''privelage'' tho danged if they aren't making it a ''privelage'' at best :frown:

Smells greatly of thin end of wedge - as in other places. It is so unconstitutional it beggars belief. :mad:

·
Registered
17 Posts
500Mag said:
Get an out of state permit from somewhere that Delaware recognizes. From the NRA-ILA website these states are recognized by DE: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Kentucky, Michigan, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah. From what I understand Utah, Florida, and Texas are some good ones to have.

It's a shame there's no reciprocity with PA:hand1:
Unfortunately, if you are a Delaware resident, you must get a Delaware permit (at least, I seem to remember that packing.org had a letter from the DE Attorney General to that effect).

I live in PA, and my Florida permit works for me just fine in Delaware. But were one of my family back home to get a Florida permit, it wouldn't be considered valid since they're residents of Delaware. How much sense does that make?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Another of Ohio's "poison pill" provisions intended to sink the concealed carry bill prohibits individuals from obtaining a list of CCW license holders -- but permits the media to get them -- when CCW was finally passed here there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth from the media, who proceeded to print the lists.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Just lots of hoops to try and keep people from defending themselves and getting some of their rights back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Now you just go into the Sheriff's Dept - Hand over your Drivers license - wait for a quick computer background search - They call you up to the desk (as long as no felony's or anything shows up) - you pay 20 bucks - get your photo taken - they print out your Photo Pistol permit and your done. About 20 min's total in and out....
Well, in Jefferson County, AL (Birmingham), you still have to get three signatures of those that will vouch for your character.

On the other hand, its only $7.50/year, and though "may issue" like all of Alabama, AFAIK Sheriff Hale issues to all that qualify (basically have no criminal record). Takes about 2 weeks for the background check, but after that I just showed up 1 year later and renewed my permit.

This from a former life-long Yankee from Maryland who never imagined a pistol permit was even attainable!:smile:

I LOVE it down in the South!

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Hmmm, Interesting. I assumed it was the same as in Mobile Alabama for the whole state. Thanks for the info...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts