Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Politicians want to blame the NRA for the failures on gun issues. OK...why? Why is the NRA so influential on Senators and Representatives? Is it the money they donate to the causes of politicians with regards to gun rights/re-election campaigns? Let's assume it is. Let's assume the NRA promises to back politicians with funds for campaigns if they vote the way they want.

A few stats (as accurate as I have found):

NRA average annual revenue is around $205 million. In the 2008 Presidential campaign, they spent $10 million. National Rifle Association (NRA) Statistics | Statistic Brain

Mayor Michael Bloomberg's net worth, according to Forbes, is about $27 Billion. Michael Bloomberg - Forbes

George Soros' net worth, also according to Forbes, is about $19.2 Billion George Soros - Forbes

These two guys alone are worth an estimated $46.2 Billion, compared to the NRA revenue of $200 Million. Interestingly enough, they are two guys that are in 100% support of Democratic agendas (from what I've read). These guys could offer a lot more to a voting Senator or Representative than the NRA could....if it was only about money.

Maybe it's the 4.3 million members the NRA has and countless other gun-rights supporters that carry more weight than any amount of money they can throw at a politician.

·
Super Moderator
22,021 Posts
The NRA defies most elitists, makes them an easy scapegoat.

The last thing you want to do is mess with a politician's ego, Obummer proved that yesterday.

Reactions: mg27

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The NRA defies most elitists, makes them an easy scapegoat.

The last thing you want to do is mess with a politician's ego, Obummer proved that yesterday.
A very good point. That may very well be why those two clowns I mentioned don't put their money with their mouth is on a national level regarding gun rights...their egos would be slaughtered.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Why? The NRA's the one "out there," the visible target. They largely represent their membership's views on things. On the topic, they're the 800-pound gorilla in the room, though SAF and GOA are getting fairly influential too.

What the liberty-haters fail to acknowledge publicly (though, I fully suspect they understand this very well) is that IT'S THE PEOPLE who have these opinions. It's not merely some fringe, rogue, irrelevant "lobby" group that has nothing to do with the People's views on oaths, constitutionality, liberty, civil rights, defense and all the rest.

But it's tough to crap on 80M+ adults when they're not all poking their heads out (to be smacked). It's far simpler to go gunnin' for the visible "threat." And that happens to be the NRA.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
The NRA is to blame for what? I am the one that wrote my reps, I am the one that called them. The NRA is being blamed as part of the liberal medias bias towards freedom and corps. that represent freedom. The people along with the NRA won this battle, not the NRA by itself.....

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
Obozo and his supporters don't ever admit fault or failure of the exalted one. It has to be someone else's fault; simply stating that a majority of the US population doesn't agree with him doesn't compute in their world - it can't happen, so they need someone to blame.

The NRA is a singular term for a group and thus it can be demonized.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
They have to blame someone, you don't expect them to admit that their bills were idiotic?
Yes, I think they should. No, I don't believe they'd ever "stoop" to that, believers that they are.

I'd settle for them agreeing the spearing of upstanding citizens in the hope that it'll snag a few criminals gets admitted. IF they can do that, they might have a chance at crafting a "crime" bill that has any hope of preventing/deterring crime. Until they recognize that core failing of their approach, they'll never make a serious impact on crime.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I just see it as doing their math. With all of the recent poo-flinging at corporations lately by simply being successful in the Capitalist realm, they probably would like to get the impression out there that this is a powerful, heavy-handed corporation that does nothing more than sit around and try to think of ways to kill our children. It looks much better for the vote than if they were to imply that the view is actually backed and endorsed by millions of people in the country who have some sense of patriotism and common sense.

Reactions: deadguy

·
Super Moderator
22,021 Posts
The NRA was up next on their 'blame checklist' rotation.

1. Blame Bush
2. Blame racism
3. Blame Bush
4. Blame evil, money making corporations.
5. Blame Bush
6. Blame the NRA
I've always love this one, #4, it's as though these morons don't realize where their paychecks originate.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
I've always love this one, #4, it's as though these morons don't realize where their paychecks originate.
Yes, it always causes me to chuckle as well. Ohhh, bad capitalist! Bad, bad, money making company. Yet they owe their very existence to it.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm tempted to research the net worth of some of the most outspoken democratic supporters, and the sources of their income. I'm certain to find some hypocrisy somewhere in that list.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
"The gun lobby and its allies willfully lied about the bill," Obama said. He said the claims "upset" some gun owners who in turn "intimidated" senators.

Ok, so the NRA "willfully lied" about the bill and gun owners "intimidated" senators. Very sad to watch an American President on national television calling the NRA liars and gun owners thugs. Shame on you Mr. Obama! Your gun control bill failed because it was worthless and the will of the people prevailed. Stop blaming others for your own failures.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I don't think they quite get that, every time they blame the NRA, a very large number of people out there think, "Hey, I'M part of the NRA...they're blaming ME". They still don't seem to get that their bills got shot down because the majority of people who will change a vote based on their choice didn't want it...and the primary reason behind THAT was that the bills being proposed wouldn't do diddly to stop the next person who wants to go to a school and kill a bunch of kids.

But it's just the biggest target around...easier than saying "4 million people + all those rushing out to buy guns that aren't in the NRA oppose the resolution".

·
Registered
116 Posts
Obozo and his supporters don't ever admit fault or failure of the exalted one. It has to be someone else's fault; simply stating that a majority of the US population doesn't agree with him doesn't compute in their world - it can't happen, so they need someone to blame.

The NRA is a singular term for a group and thus it can be demonized.
Agreed.

Typical strategy out of the leftanista playbook. Create a target and demonize them so as to push their totalitarian agenda.
For publicity reasons Chairman hobama couldn't openly say "I hate all you Americans that want to keep your guns! You're blocking my agenda!" (all the while acting as if the Senate voted on its own accord - rather than the reality that they voted due to their Constituents outrage expressed in letters, phone calls, and emails).
So the NRA is his straw man to say that.

But as dirt bag Harry Reid's procedural vote demonstrates, he'll bring it up again.

Keep your guard up. Stay awake.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
It's human nature to "find" someone to blame for problems/issues.etc...........................

1 - 20 of 32 Posts