Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago, I've decided that I am gonna get a gun. My deadline to get a gun is November 3, 2020, which is the election day. I worry how the country will look on November 4th.

Before I get a gun, I am trying to do some research, so that I am well prepared for it. While doing so, I noticed something interesting. I fear guns. I am nervous about guns. And that's why I am doing so much research. I believe it is a good thing I am respecting their power, but at the same time, rationally, statistically speaking, guns are tools just like any other tools that can be used for self defense. It provide an incredible way for you to defend yourself at a distance which sets itself apart, but other than this reason, there are plenty of things in my house that could be used for self defense with capable power.

I have incredibly sharp, well maintained kitchen knife from Japan. I have a cheap hammer. I got a bat. They may not be as deadly (except a kitchen knife) as a gun, but they can do serious harm to people. I use my kitchen knife multiple times a day, but I never fear this thing. Heck, I drive a car that weighs a ton. This hunk of metal can be extremely destructive, and yet, I find joy and listen to songs while I drive with pleasure.

With guns, especially given I am trying to own one for the first time, such heighten fear and caution is probably a good thing. But at the same time, I have to acknowledge that I am being irrational about assessing the level of danger a gun poses in comparison to other day to day tools that also also cause serious harm to people.

So next thing I am wondering is, why is there such fear? I know I'm not the only one who has this fear. All my liberal friends certainly if not more fear guns than I do. My wife does. And finally, even folks on this forum, do have respect for gun's power much more than other tools that are also capable of destruction. Why do we fear guns?

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Emotion, unfamiliarity and lack of experience causes fear of guns.

However, with sharks its their teeth.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I was born around firearms. While they were all long guns, they were still guns, and I was taught to respect them right from the get go.

My family is mix of hunters on one side, and farmers on the other. Guns are integral to both groups. You cannot fear the tools you need to use to get a task done. A lot of people don't realize how often farmers can need to use guns. Mostly to shoot critters causing problems. Try and find a farmer who doesn't own at least a shotgun.

Part of your fear comes from work done by the communists to make people fear guns. Instilling that fear is a method of control. The way to break the fear is to use guns.

Even if you don't buy one, you should go to a range to rent guns to shoot. The use of firearms will make your fear go away. It will teach you the truth about the tool. Start small, and work your way up as far as calibers go. The old tried and true .22 long rifle round being used as the starter round in every available platform has been done for a good reason. Low recoil, and easy to control. It makes for building the shooting skills a lot easier.

Experience is the greatest teacher of all. Nothing beats it. That goes for everything in life.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
It's a completely irrational fear that has been driven/created by liberals and the media.

Not that long ago you would regularly see guns in a high school kids truck in the school parking lot. Now if your poptart even vaguely resembles a gun (or just the letter L) you'll get suspended (this actually happened).

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
I recommend getting some training. Understanding how guns work and safe handling methods will go a long way to alleviating fear.

As for a 4 Nov deadline to be ready, if you really intend to be ready you need to buy soon, dry fire practice, get ammo, go to a range, practice, more dry fire practice, and more range time. If you get a gun on 3 Nov you'll have a new tool, but that doesn't mean you could effectively use it the next day.

Plus, depending on where you live, there can be waiting periods and other local hurdles, delaying a purchase.

·
Registered
99 Posts
IMHO: Hollywood provides plenty of video and music about how the use of weapons kill. Hollywood's weapon of choice is typically a rifle or pistol. This plus a general lack of never having touched one yet alone fired one or heard a safety lecture on gun use lets the imagination take over about the evil gun. People have brainwashed themselves into thinking it is the gun that kills not the person holding the weapon.

·
Premium Member
7,709 Posts
Make a mistake with a knife, worst case is you need a few stitches.

Make a mistake with a gun, worst case is your brains or someone else's brains are splattered against a wall.

Knife safety prevents you from injuring yourself.

Gun safety prevents you from killing yourself or someone else.

A gun is a far more dangerous instrumentality that any other hand tool.

It's good to have a very healthy respect for guns. What you should fear is yourself with the gun, until you know how to handle and use the gun safely.

Practice with it. Know the four rules of gun safety and the reason for each rule:
  • All guns are always loaded.
  • Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
  • Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
  • Identify your target, and what is behind it.
(If this is your first gun and it is for home defense, I recommend a S&W 686+ with a 4" barrel. That was my first handgun and it's still my home defense gun.)

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
Outside of all the socio-political reasons that people are scared of guns, the linked article from Wide Open Spaces talks about the personal reasons and how to overcome them. One of the side issues is that guns do things that the other dangerous objects you listed don't do: They recoil, they make noise and they can damage things at a distance. I think it all comes down to familiarity, which if you didn't grow up with guns comes from training. The goal, I think, is to convert that fear into "reasonable caution" or even "respect." The article talks about the following reasons for fear of guns and how to deal with them. I think it's important to test for yourself what causes your personal fears and concentrate on those solutions:
  • Fear of recoil - Solution: Start with lower calibers
  • Fear of negligent discharge - Solution: Never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire the gun. Practice until it's a habit. This is one of the rules of gun safety.
  • Fear the gun will fire if it's dropped - Solution: Get a modern, high quality firearm that does not have any reports of not being drop safe. Also know the characteristics of your firearm. For instance, it might not be safe to drop a cocked single action auto if the safety is off. So if you are handling that kind of firearm, make doubly sure it is pointed in a safe direction when it is in that condition.
  • Fear that firing the gun will be loud - Solution: Get good hearing protection. A lot of people double up, ear plugs and ear muffs, a good choice for multiple reasons.
  • Scared you'll point the gun at yourself or others - Solution: Never point the gun at anything you don't want to destroy. This is another one of the rules of gun safety.
  • Fear that the bullet will pass through the target and hit something else - Solution: Always be sure of your target and what's behind it. Also understand both your weapon and basics of its ammunition.

·
Registered
36,294 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Your question gets to the heart of the issue. I think the evil that is sometimes perpetrated with guns is actually what is feared. But guns are easier to act against than evil. Kinda like hiding the car keys from your wife when you think she is going out for illicit purposes. Probably won't solve the problem or alleviate your actual concerns.

Reactions: FrugalStocks

·
Registered
Pistoleer
551 Posts
Why is there heightened fear of guns in comparison to other things like knives?

Because a lot of people are irrational and panic easily (mostly liberals and their like) which generally means for them that in a given life threatening situation no matter what the weapon that is used against them they will likely get seriously hurt or killed rather than be able to adequately defend themselves.

·
Registered
343 Posts
As humans we fear that which we do not understand. When one comes to understand something better the fear is lessened. Its a good thing that you are educating yourself on guns. For me that has become a lifetime pursuit.

·
Registered
18,597 Posts
Hoplophobia

·
Premium Member
4,911 Posts
People fear the unknown. The commie liberals have brainwashed the masses to believe a lie.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I am afraid of poorly made and designed guns! (I won't mention any brands so no ones feelings get hurt!):rolleyes:

Reactions: CavemanBob

·
Premium Member
4,173 Posts
Even if you don't buy one, you should go to a range to rent guns to shoot. The use of firearms will make your fear go away. It will teach you the truth about the tool. Start small, and work your way up as far as calibers go. The old tried and true .22 long rifle round being used as the starter round in every available platform has been done for a good reason. Low recoil, and easy to control. It makes for building the shooting skills a lot easier.

Experience is the greatest teacher of all. Nothing beats it. That goes for everything in life.
I have to disagree with this advice. A novice who has never been around guns, never been trained on gun safety, never been to a gun range, and never fired a gun should not just go to a range and rent guns to shoot. Experience is not sufficient without the proper baseline training. Without training, experience will just reinforce bad habits. I've seen this almost every time I've gone to a commercial gun range with shooters that haven't received training. And that's why I'm very selective about what commercial ranges I visit.

The easiest way to overcome fear of guns is to take a basic training class, or get one-on-one training from someone who will teach the same material as what one would get from a course like NRA's basic pistol and rifle courses or something similar offered at most ranges.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
I still have a healthy fear of flying! Even though I don't know anyone who has crashed in a plane and know several hundred that fly successfully every day. I still get White Knuckled and quiet on take off and landings.
But I can't remember the first time I fired a gun! They have been there every day, all my life.
Like stated above, try to get into a training class. Some will provide several guns for you to try. And instruction on how each works. Just like learning to drive, it's not something you want to just wing it! I learned by watching my parents and grandparents, How they handled guns and ammo. I also learned the things not to do by listening to their story's.
The OP did not have that , So hopefully you will find someone to help you along, and maybe your wife and kids will grow up thinking they are just normal tools dad had. Even if they don't grow up to be gun nuts, they won't have that fear! They can save that for being afraid of flying! Good Luck DR

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
It’s the software that makes you capable and you only get that with training. The know how is far more important than the tool.

There are people on this forum that would outmatch someone with a gun if they only had a folded piece of paper.

Get training.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts