Defensive Carry banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
36,294 Posts
Yeah, bush flying in AK is a real experience. The one time I did, the hangar where our plane was based had a pile of wrecked Cubs, etc., stacked behind it. Not a real encouraging sight.

Reactions: dangerranger

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
If the "chef" cutting my tuna has this knife, I might wonder about "where I'm at". Other wise, having been raised around gun's since the 50's, and learning knife usage, and maintenance in the early 60's, fear IS NOT a word I'd associate with them. AS @LimaCharlie said, I started riding motorcycle's in the 60's. STILL ride! More than two decades working in machine shop's; drilling & completion rig's (using explosives). Million's of people, daily, use tool's, with "ZERO UNINTENDED RESULT'S". Have some innate fear of a gun or knife, is "ignorance of it, as a tool". Nothing more. YES, people make mistake's, OR in SOME cases, DON'T CARE! Follow rule's, set forth, in the use of a tool. A lifetime of handling it without "unintended consequences".

large.jpg

Reactions: Chaplain Scott

·
Registered
7 Posts
Exposure.

The more you exposure you have to anything: conditioned response inversion.

Skydive for a living and you can't wait to get off work so your day can begin.

Pay hundreds of dollars to go skydiving as a novelty and your heart races in anticipation.

·
Registered
30 Posts
A couple of weeks ago, I've decided that I am gonna get a gun. My deadline to get a gun is November 3, 2020, which is the election day. I worry how the country will look on November 4th.

Before I get a gun, I am trying to do some research, so that I am well prepared for it. While doing so, I noticed something interesting. I fear guns. I am nervous about guns. And that's why I am doing so much research. I believe it is a good thing I am respecting their power, but at the same time, rationally, statistically speaking, guns are tools just like any other tools that can be used for self defense. It provide an incredible way for you to defend yourself at a distance which sets itself apart, but other than this reason, there are plenty of things in my house that could be used for self defense with capable power.

I have incredibly sharp, well maintained kitchen knife from Japan. I have a cheap hammer. I got a bat. They may not be as deadly (except a kitchen knife) as a gun, but they can do serious harm to people. I use my kitchen knife multiple times a day, but I never fear this thing. Heck, I drive a car that weighs a ton. This hunk of metal can be extremely destructive, and yet, I find joy and listen to songs while I drive with pleasure.

With guns, especially given I am trying to own one for the first time, such heighten fear and caution is probably a good thing. But at the same time, I have to acknowledge that I am being irrational about assessing the level of danger a gun poses in comparison to other day to day tools that also also cause serious harm to people.

So next thing I am wondering is, why is there such fear? I know I'm not the only one who has this fear. All my liberal friends certainly if not more fear guns than I do. My wife does. And finally, even folks on this forum, do have respect for gun's power much more than other tools that are also capable of destruction. Why do we fear guns?
You are a victim of Hoplophobia! The irrational fear of firearms! It is a condition brought on by covert programming from media, films, liberal politicians, and other influences! It is fully reversible by exposure to and handling responsibly of firearms! Make certain to get professional training in the safe and sound handling of them!

41 - 45 of 45 Posts