Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I enjoy occasional trips to New Mexico, so I have familarized myself with its firearms laws. New Mexico is the only state of which I am aware that prohibits permit holders from carrying more than one concealed pistol (i.e., no BUGs allowed).

I have no problem with that since I rarely carry a BUG anyway, but I am interested in the reason for this law. If anyone knows, I would love to read the explanation. Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Probably to prevent movie-style shoot outs. ;)
Criminals don't care and will carry as many guns as they want, putting the honest citizen with a CHL at a possible disadvantage in the event of a confrontation. Same issue with banning guns altogether - criminals don't obey laws.

The only reasoning I can find for this law in NM is that law-makers aren't familiar with the above concept.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
New Mexico is an open carry state but only one concealed weapon on your person. Maybe the powers that be thought that your CCW is your BUG to cover your open carry gun?

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Do they have a limit on how many guns you can open carry?

·
Registered
929 Posts
OC your Audie Murphy western dual six shooter holster & gun set, & CC your 1 BUG. :tumbleweed:

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
As I understand/remember it from reading on another forum, it was thrown into the legislation by an anti-gun legislator, and the other legislators went along with it just so they could get the CCW bill passed.
I'm new to NM and I've heard the same thing. I'm told it was an uphill fight to get CCW passed and concessions had to be made.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts