Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm not sure where to post this. If it doesn't belong here, or on this forum I apologize.
I'm just wondering, why would a gun club/range not allow human shaped targets ?

We have a real nice relatively new gun club here in Ashburn Va called Silver Eagle. They seem pretty laid back about most things, and a good place to go shoot relatively cheap.

But I found out today by accident that they don't allow human shaped targets. It makes no sense to me. They offer all types of self defense classes, scenario training etc.. The point of all of that is to be able to successfully defend yourself against a human ( in most cases ) target.

So what is the deal with not allowing human targets for practice ?
I really don't care for myself. My shooting is not to the point to care about much except being able to hit a 6" plate at 7 yards. :)
But it seems like a sellout to the PC gun hater crowd. Am I missing some ethical issue here ?

Thanks.
floyd

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
My local range/fun shop has about 7 different varieties of silhouette targets, and I have been known on occasion to tape a picture of a face over the head. More realistic that way:wave:

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
I did use to go to a range where you had to be 18 to shoot at silhouette targets. If you proscribe to what LtCol. Grossman says in on killing, shooting at human shaped targets helps condition to the mind to overcome the mental block to shooting people.

Mostly it sounds like appeasement or maybe the range trying to look more "family friendly" or some such thing. The majority of my shooting is done on human shaped targets.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I would have to ask your gun club/range to be more specific in their definition of 'human shaped targets'. I have plenty of silhouette targets, and one of the local indoor ranges has plenty for their IDPA matches which is where I buy them. These targets are rectangular and have four sides....not "human shaped" in the least. Sounds like a pathetic attempt at being politically correct for some reason. Maybe next week they won't allow anything over 22LR? Personally, I think that your gun club/ range has an identity crisis, and you can tell them I said so.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Funny that you posted the question. I was thinking why doesn't somebody make a silhouette target that has a silhouette of person(GG) and half a silhouette target sticking out from behind (BG). Like in a hostage situtation. I think I am going to fold one in half and tape it in front. So I can train to hit BG without hitting GG in a SHTF case.

To RG: That picture would not be an Ex would it?

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
Targets shaped like people scare the :sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep:.:yup:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally, I think that your gun club/ range has an identity crisis, and you can tell them I said so.
Exactly what I was thinking, but you put it into better words. :)

I'll ask them about it this weekend when I go down there.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Funny that you posted the question. I was thinking why doesn't somebody make a silhouette target that has a silhouette of person(GG) and half a silhouette target sticking out from behind (BG). Like in a hostage situtation. I think I am going to fold one in half and tape it in front. So I can train to hit BG without hitting GG in a SHTF case.
They make them. You just need to know where to find them. I used to have some.
Target Pasters & Silhouette Targets

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Well, I don't know exactly WHY, unless it's not "Politically Correct", but in NRA courses it is a BIG NONO! They are probably following NRA's lead.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts

lol, No but well known folks,male & female, often in the news:wink:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I don't know exactly WHY, unless it's not "Politically Correct", but in NRA courses it is a BIG NONO! They are probably following NRA's lead.
The NRA ?
I guess, they are such a political org that they must make compromises. But one that is so schizophrenic ? I'm surprised. I guess I have more catching up and learning to do than I thought. :)

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Here's a link for just about every target you can imagine plus all kinds of range equipment. Be sure to check out their new full color 3-D paper targets under the "paper targets" section. Used with 3D glasses, which they sell too, you get a pretty lifelike target.

Law Enforcement Targets, Inc.

Another good supplier of targets and range equipment I've ordered from several times before

Speedwell Targets.

Here are a couple more I found. Remember, Google is a decent search engine.

Action Target

American Target Company

The Target Shop

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Bark.
For now, I am just gonna go to wally world or something and get a stack of paper plates to shoot on. More sustainable on my wallet. :))

Man, 3d targets with 3d glasses ? That's pretty cool. I may have to treat myself to that someday.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Oh, I shoot a lot of paper plates! Nothing wrong with that!

But you can get quantities of 25 or 50 decent silhouette targets pretty reasonable if you buy in from a target company as opposed to getting them from your local gun store or gun range.

Don't need to get the fancy photography type of either. Standard B-27's are not too expensive. If you shoot say 80% of the time with paper plates or similar and save the silhouette's for 20% or less of your shooting time, it won't be very expensive, and you'll get some idea of shooting humanoid shaped targets.

Also don't hesitate to have your shooting partners help absorb the cost of targets.

·
Registered
114 Posts

at the club i go to they have a devise that holds two targets. one for hostage one for the bad guy. it rocks back and forth to make it harder.

·
Super Moderator
18,165 Posts
Its all about political correctness. The mice men out there don't want anyone shooting at people shaped targets.

So, many clubs and even police organizations have switched from the silhouette to the more impersonal and correct center mass target which looks more like a coke bottle than a target.

Even the BlackB27 police targets in some places have been changed to the dark blue ones....we can't have people"preconditioned" to shoot at black targets now can we?

In some places, common sense is still apparent and such foolishness is not tolerated. For the rest of the world where mice men rule, shooting at ANYTHING is highly discouraged and will continue to be so.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mousemen. hahaha. Good post Hotguns.

Its all about political correctness. The mice men out there don't want anyone shooting at people shaped targets.

So, many clubs and even police organizations have switched from the silhouette to the more impersonal and correct center mass target which looks more like a coke bottle than a target.

Even the BlackB27 police targets in some places have been changed to the dark blue ones....we can't have people"preconditioned" to shoot at black targets now can we?

In some places, common sense is still apparent and such foolishness is not tolerated. For the rest of the world where mice men rule, shooting at ANYTHING is highly discouraged and will continue to be so.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I called and asked for clarification on this policy, from the membership coordinator today.
Apparently there was a misunderstanding between me and the person I spoke with yesterday.
Silver Eagle DOES allow human shaped targets.
What they DON'T allow is actual human targets. ( No, just kidding ). What they DON'T allow is pictures of real people.

Big difference.

Thanks for the replies, sorry the thread was based on an error.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I called and asked for clarification on this policy, from the membership coordinator today.
Apparently there was a misunderstanding between me and the person I spoke with yesterday.
Silver Eagle DOES allow human shaped targets.
What they DON'T allow is actual human targets. ( No, just kidding ). What they DON'T allow is pictures of real people.

Big difference.

Thanks for the replies, sorry the thread was based on an error.
Glad you got clarification. :hand10:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts