Defensive Carry banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IN my state you are legally allowed to OC but not have a loaded firearm in your car. I have a permit so it doesn't really apply to me, but does anyone know a good reason or better yet the legal reason for this? Sounds like a lot of gun handling in public to go anywhere and how would you even think of taking public transportation ie taxi bus train ect. Also anytime Ive ever seen anyone OCing around here (wallywolrld ect) i have yet to see anyone with a magazine in their weapon is there a reason for this i am unaware of ... thanks

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Don't know why, but a lot of states that are supposedly "open carry" prohibit loaded pistols in vehicles. My state and a few others do allow unlicensed carry of loaded pistols in vehicles, which to me is a requirement for a true open-carry state. (Yes, I am aware that Denver prohibits OC outside one's vehicle, so even CO is not a perfect OC state.)

When we prevail in McDonald v Chicago and "keep and bear arms" must be acknowledged by states and local governments as an individual right, all these types of restrictions will be challenged in court and eliminated.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
These laws were knee jerk reactions when drive by shootings became popular. Also, it gives LE a little more leverage when for the investigation of certain crimes too.

Right or wrong, that was the thinking behind such laws.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
+1 Sixto

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
WA is the same way. It's considered a concealed weapon if it's in your car, even if visible. A concealed pistol license alleviates the issue.

·
Registered
38 Posts
SIXTO beat me to it. It's just one more crime to charge drive by shooters with.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Another option, (albeit I think SIXTO has the main one pegged) is that they may be left over from hunting laws/regulations.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Legislation doesn't have to make sense

There are laws all over the country - and federal laws - that are contradictory.

What happens is a law is passed to address a particular issue. As DaveH mentions, some may be to address shooting game animals from a vehicle. Then another law is passed - say issuing concealed weapons permits. So the two laws are sometimes in conflict; this laws says you can't, that law says you can.

I don't think many laws are intentionally contradictory for the purpose of 'catching' otherwise legal folks. (Not to say some laws don't target legal actions and make them illegal and admitting there's so many laws dang near everything is illegal in one form or another.)

What needs to happen is the various legislatures is to examine the extant laws for obsolescence and self-contradictions. Fat chance. Legislators are too busy 'passing legislation' to impress voters.

·
Registered
157 Posts
WA is the same way. It's considered a concealed weapon if it's in your car, even if visible. A concealed pistol license alleviates the issue.
In WA, you can have your pistol unloaded when you transport it in a car (nothing in the pipe and mag is removed), and you DO NOT have to have a CPL to do so. You can openly carry your firearm without a license here in WA State.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
In WA, you can have your pistol unloaded when you transport it in a car (nothing in the pipe and mag is removed), and you DO NOT have to have a CPL to do so. You can openly carry your firearm without a license here in WA State.
That's correct. However, the OP's question is specifically about a loaded firearm.:wink:

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
These laws were knee jerk reactions when drive by shootings became popular. Also, it gives LE a little more leverage when for the investigation of certain crimes too.

Right or wrong, that was the thinking behind such laws.
In some states it goes farther back, has to do with poachers and game laws as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts