Defensive Carry banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to buy a Ruger LCR .38spl revolver. I have shot one with standard sights quite a bit, and the sights are fine as far as snubbie sights go (much better than S&W's), but they're hard to make out with a dark-colored target.

I noticed that there is an LCR model that has factory-installed fiber-optic sights. It has model number 5418 and is sometimes called LCR-F. It's not on Ruger's website. I don't know if that means it was discontinued.

In any case, it's available: the distributor Davidson's has 90 in stock. And the price appears to be the same as with standard sights (5401).

Is there a reason not to go with the fiber-optic sights?

Why is the model with fiber-optic sights less popular (and maybe even discontinued) when it doesn't cost more?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
One reason is that fiber optic sights can be fragile...but they are definitely a lot easier to pick up. I bought my .357 before the fiber optics were an option and I opted for the XS Standard Dot tritium...and love it.

Reactions: Chief1297

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
It's easy enough to swap out the stock LCR sight with a Hi-Viz fiber optic. I got my LCR used, but it was in like-new condition, so a saved a few bucks. I bought the sight and the punch required off of Amazon and installed it in about 15 min., only because I was being really careful. I really like the sight. I have CT laser grips for night and indoors, but outdoors, in daylight, the the brighter the ambient light, the brighter the sight. It's really easy to pick up visually.

Another thing I discovered is that you can use it at night with a flashlight held in a "Harries" or "X-grip." You just get the edge of flashlight beam to hit the side of the sight and it is really bright.

https://www.amazon.com/HIVIZ-Ruger-...9604364&sr=8-1&keywords=hi+viz+sights+for+lcr

LCR2.jpg

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turns out that LGS has the model with regular sights in stock for $350, and getting the model with fiber-optic sights from their distributor would cost $439, so that answers it for me. I'll consider replacing the front sight with a fiber-optic sight or night sight later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts