Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a Glock feels like a 2x4 in your hand. But I also know that they're accurate as ever and way dependable. I had a thread a week or so ago about this and many pros were posted.

I want all the cons to Glocks. I haven't heard alot bad about them, so let me have it. I'm thinking seriously about getting maybe a 27 or something in similar size.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I just bought a 27 and am goingto the range tomorrow. I will let you know the outcome but I don't understand the 2x4 thing? I have shot them before.

·
Registered
45 Posts
jarhead79 said:
I know a Glock feels like a 2x4 in your hand. But I also know that they're accurate as ever and way dependable. I had a thread a week or so ago about this and many pros were posted.

I want all the cons to Glocks. I haven't heard alot bad about them, so let me have it. I'm thinking seriously about getting maybe a 27 or something in similar size.
I've owne a g 17 for about 20 yrs. I just got a g 30 that I had to the range for the first time yesterday. It's great!

CONS: It's not necessarily a target pistol. The trigger may take some getting used to. You MUST carry it in a holster that covers the trigger guard for safety. Some people think its ugly, although I don't see that as an issue in a carry gun, just like I don't see it as an issue in a power drill for example. It's boringly accurate and reliable.

If you intend to carry it to have a reliable, effective weapon in a dire situation, I don't think there is anything better.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
For me the biggies are ...> blockieness feeling,grip angle,and trigger pull(feel).

I also feel that in the pistol world as other places,what works for you,feels good to you,looks good to you,is in your price range, should be considered by you.

I do not own a Glock but have shot literlly hundreds of rounds thru just about every model that they make. They are not for me(but I reserve the right to change my mind).

If they should introduce the right(for me) combo of caliber,size,sighting options,mag capicity,and a couple of other etc.'s I'll take a closer look at them. Until then ---> It's 1911's for me.-----------

·
Registered
45 Posts
jarhead79 said:

Glock .40 cal. barrels dont fully support the case head. Go to glock talk and do some searches on glock kabooms.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
The only thing I didnt like about glocks was the grip angle and the price was a little higher. Thats why I got a springfield xdsc. A little cheaper and it has a few more safteys. To each there own I say get what evers best for you. Have a great day.

Sixgun

·
Registered
419 Posts
jarhead79 - Some of us are mainly, metal gun handgunners... I used to have an G17 when they first came out in the "Tupperware" box. I liked how it shot, just never really liked the "Plasticy Feel" I guess. I do have a couple of K-T's P32 & P3AT, but don't use 'em.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
The only issue I have with Glocks (and I owed and carried a 21 for years) is that you must pull the trigger to strip it. A number of careless people have managed to hurt themselves or others because of this.

Matt

·
Super Moderator
19,009 Posts
MattLarson said:
The only issue I have with Glocks (and I owed and carried a 21 for years) is that you must pull the trigger to strip it. A number of careless people have managed to hurt themselves or others because of this.

Matt
Agree. Also the grip angle is wrong for me, and the front sights sometimes come loose. Nothing really wrong with em though.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
My only complaint with my Glocks is once you start shooting them you can't help but love them. Which leads to the dreaded GAS (Glock Acquisition Syndrome) one leads to two, two to three well you get the picture.
Mike

·
Banned
81 Posts
Personally I have nothing against Glocks. That said they just aren't the gun for me. As others have aleady mentioned, the grip angle is all wrong. It just doesn't feel natural in my hand.
Also, someone mentioned the front site. I was firing a friends Glock 17 at the range when his little white front site popped out. We super glued it back in place. That's never happened with my Ruger P-89 rust magnets.
Again, Glocks are great for some people. Tough guns which endure alot of abuse. Reliable and easy to shoot. If you gave me one though....I'd probably trade it for something else within a short time.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The Glock is the AK-47 of the handgun world-ugly, no frills, not the most accurate, but they shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot.

Combat Handguns had an article called "Glock Torture Test" a while back with a guy that had put 100,000+ rounds through a G17. He had left in in the ocean for a year, pulled it out and it still functions and still shoots to this day.

The Glock, while not quite achieving "Perfection" as their marketing department would have you believe is pretty dang close.

The only negative-if you can't keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot and rely on your mind as a safety, then the Glock is not for you.

·
Super Moderator
24,242 Posts
The only "Con" I know of not already mentioned, and not dependent on YOUR preferences, is you take a lot of **** from "Non-Glockers" or "Anti-Gastons" or "The Spawn of the Anti-Christ" type stuff.

I learned on Glocks, my wife did also. We love 'em. Yea - we don't have "BBQ" pistols, but I always take my Mossberg Persuader to BBQ's anyway. lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
People can list 'personal' cons with any gun made. One persons "con" can be anothers "pro". Example, some people dont feel comfortable unless a weapon has a dozen different safeties on it. Personally,(and its just my own opinion) safeties are a feeling of security for some that may not be totally comfortable with guns or their own practice with guns. For me, redundant safeties are actually a con. For others it may be a necesssity.
Safeties, trigger feel, looks, size, caliber, etc. are all matters of personal preference. I can get used to any gun that I want, so it doest matter.

Glocks biggest "pro": I absolutely, positively 'know' that as long as its loaded and in the ready, it will always go bang and cycle when I squeeze the trigger. I never need to doubt or wonder about its reliabilty.
Add to that, the accuracy, quality and durabilty at Glocks price and you will not find a better gun for the cost. These are the reasons more professionals worldwide carry Glocks than any other gun made.
Not too shabby for a mere 500 bones...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Phil Elmore said:
The only people who shoot themselves field-stripping Glocks are those too stupid to rack the slide and clear the chamber, then check it, before they strip the weapon.
And there it is, in a nutshell......

·
Registered
988 Posts
Phil Elmore said:
The only people who shoot themselves field-stripping Glocks are those too stupid to rack the slide and clear the chamber, then check it, before they strip the weapon.
+1

I have to pull the trigger on my XD9 to fieldstrip it. If you practice safety all the time, your chances of getting hurt or hurting someone else are extremely slim.

As far as Glocks go, I've only had the chance to fire a .40 cal version but I do not know which model it was, either the 22 or the 23. Myself nor my wife had any problems with it, but the grip angle and pointability was a little weird to my hands. My XD on the other hand, fits like a glove.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Main cons

unless you order night sights out of the box what you get is plastic sights

The 40 cal dont fully support the case.

finger grooves might not be for you i can use a glock 26/27/30 becuse of this reason my fingers dont fit in the grooves

thats all i can think of right now

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am a state police firearms instructor at our regional academy, and I see just about every major brand come through firearms week with recruits from all the member agencies. The Glock is the most reliable weapon on the range in my personal experience. I personally own several examples of all the major players in duty weapons, and each have there own charm, but if I had to take a handgun out for an extended period in harsh conditions with only routine maintenance available it would be the Glock. My second choice is a toss up between Beretta and Sig depending on the model.

·
Registered
988 Posts
blacksan said:
I am a state police firearms instructor at our regional academy, and I see just about every major brand come through firearms week with recruits from all the member agencies. The Glock is the most reliable weapon on the range in my personal experience. I personally own several examples of all the major players in duty weapons, and each have there own charm, but if I had to take a handgun out for an extended period in harsh conditions with only routine maintenance available it would be the Glock. My second choice is a toss up between Beretta and Sig depending on the model.
Just out of curiosity, do you ever see the XDs come through? I would like to hear some experiences from LE on the XD line....

1 - 20 of 75 Posts