Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SHHH, NO ONE TELL CUOMO OR BLOOMBERG: Why one police officer carries 145 rounds of ammo with him every day

My Comments: This amount of volume of fire is rare for an LEO, but I stand corrected on my previous 2 -4 round at 7 to 21 feet comment. It happens people. But, but, you do not need more than 7 bullets in NY State!

.....The most threatening encounter in Gramins’ nearly two-decade career with the Skokie (Ill.) PD north of Chicago came on a lazy August afternoon prior to his promotion to sergeant, on his first day back from a family vacation. [He heard an alert] that a male.........................................................

.....In this free-for-all, the assailant had, in fact, been struck 14 times. Any one of six of these wounds — in the heart, right lung, left lung, liver, diaphragm, and right kidney — could have produced fatal consequences…“in time,” Gramins emphasizes.

.....The whole shootout had lasted 56 seconds, Gramins said. The assailant had fired 21 rounds from his two handguns. Inexplicably — but fortunately — he had not attempted to employ an SKS semi-automatic rifle that was lying on his front seat ready to go.

.....Now unfailingly he goes to work carrying 145 handgun rounds, all 9 mm. These include three extra 17-round magazines for his primary sidearm (currently a Glock 17), plus two 33-round mags tucked in his vest, as well as the backup gun. Besides all that, he’s got 90 rounds for the AR-15 that now rides in a rack up front.

http://directorblue.blogspot.com/2013/05/shhh-no-one-tell-cuomo-and-bloomberg.html

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Reactions: sanfordreed

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
This is the 2nd or 3rd time I've read this story here. Just the same it's never a bad idea to carry buku ammo.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
No matter how many times it is posted it is as true today as it was the first time.

It also serves to illustrate our need even more.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I thought the point of this story is that the 9mm is better than the .45ACP?

[Runs away!]:danceban:

·
Premium Member
37,427 Posts
I thought the point of this story is that the 9mm is better than the .45ACP?

[Runs away!]:danceban:
That is the point. I would much rather carry 140 rounds of 9mm on board than 140 rounds of .45 ACP.

Reactions: ANGLICO

·
Registered
330 Posts
That is the point. I would much rather carry 140 rounds of 9mm on board than 140 rounds of .45 ACP.
I carry a 1911 and I actually agree, carrying 20 mags would suck

Reactions: ANGLICO and 65108

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
So, he fired 33 rounds, got 14 hits, had four left in his primary, and his BUG still had 10. Certainly not as much of a cushion as one would hope, but he didn't exactly run dry. Still, a good argument for carrying more ammo! I think if I were a LEO I'd probably consider five mags total to be a minimum. A. I'd be expected to run TOWARDS a fight; B. I wouldn't have to worry about hiding them.

So what's a good number for a plain ol' citizen? I figure you should definitely have a spare magazine in case of malfunctions anyway, and if you're going to the trouble to carry one spare, might as well make it two. So, three total?

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In a real gun fight........... not that crap where you just put your (long arm) M16/M4/AK Other/Other or the really good long range stuff, over the wall and throw some ammo down range (wasted ammo).

Been there done that. No big deal.

I guess I am asking LEO and Former Military, in that it is not a big deal. Someone is shooting and you take out the Tango. Easy Peasy!

It is not where you aim, it is where the rounds hit. And I get it......... covering fire is not hitting meat, so much as setting up said meat to be hit.

In all fairness. I fully realize that I may a wee bit harsh, and sound harsh, but we (us people on this forum) come from many vastly differed backgrounds, experience and, well where we have been.

My full respect to everyone of you, now that I am fully back in 'the world'. Well, at least as my current wife states it............................

·
Premium Member
37,427 Posts
So, he fired 33 rounds, got 14 hits, had four left in his primary, and his BUG still had 10. Certainly not as much of a cushion as one would hope, but he didn't exactly run dry. Still, a good argument for carrying more ammo! I think if I were a LEO I'd probably consider five mags total to be a minimum. A. I'd be expected to run TOWARDS a fight; B. I wouldn't have to worry about hiding them.

So what's a good number for a plain ol' citizen? I figure you should definitely have a spare magazine in case of malfunctions anyway, and if you're going to the trouble to carry one spare, might as well make it two. So, three total?
I generally carry two extra 17-rounders.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
I don't mind reading something a few times that is as relevant as this. For those that carry with no reload......good luck to y'all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I sure hope I never encounter a battle like this, I only car 8 rounds of .45 with me.

I figure the officers in the North Hollywood shootout now carry more ammo after their incident years back.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I guess it depends on your area and likely threats. Like you said, 1 mag is just about mandatory in case of malfunctions. Adding to that is up to you to decide based on where you live.

I almost always carry 1 spare 19 round magazine (17 rounder with factory +2 extension) for whichever 9mm Glock I'm carrying. I also keep a spare 17 round mag plus a 31 rounds stick (33 rounder with the +2 extension taken off) in my car so an extra 48 rounds there. I typically carry a G19 but sometimes a G26. Crimes in my area are usually committed by a single criminal, sometimes 2. I feel adequately prepared with either my G26 or G19 and that single spare 19 rounder in my area.

When I go to larger cities I carry 2 spare 19 rounders and my G19 for a total 54 rounds on me. I'm more worried about larger groups of miscreants with mob mentality in that setting.

When I used to carry a 1911 I ALWAYS carried 2 spares. The number of spare mags you carry probably depends on how many rounds they hold. It was nice to switch to one spare mag when I moved to Glocks. That one spare still holds more than twice the amount of rounds the 2 extras for my 1911 did.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I sure hope I never encounter a battle like this, I only car 8 rounds of .45 with me.

I figure the officers in the North Hollywood shootout now carry more ammo after their incident years back.

Yeah....whatever I'm doing that requires that much on board ammo I'm gonna quit doing it..........:image035:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts