Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question had been bothering me ever since I started looking at .22LR pistols for target and plinking. Why do the mags only hold 10 rounds?!?!? :confused:

If the XD-M can hold 19+1 of 9mm, why is it that any .22 pistol only holds 10? If properly designed, you could probably fit 30-40 rounds into the grip of a full sized pistol.

Actually, I just saw on the .22 for carry thread a like to the Kel-Tec PMR-30 pistol that holds 30 rounds of .22WMR. So why is this the only one I've ever seen?

The only explanation I've heard that sounds plausible is that it is something about the rimfire ammo and how the rims mess up the loading mechanics. Any experts out there that can enlighten us?

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Might be cause even the high cap rifle mags are single stack

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Yeah....I just don't see a staggered/double column 22lr magazine working very well. Engineer it, invent it, and become filthy rich! Just remember after you've invented it, you'll need to build a pistol around it before you can market it.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Its the rim that makes reliable feeding difficult. Also its somewhat of a hold over from the AWB.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
It always bugged me too.
And oddly, RamRod, I HAVE invented a solution. I just can't afford to prototype/develop it!

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
It always bugged me too.
And oddly, RamRod, I HAVE invented a solution. I just can't afford to prototype/develop it!
Get a Patten for it, and register it, then sell it off to a manufacture.

Z

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yeah....I just don't see a staggered/double column 22lr magazine working very well. Engineer it, invent it, and become filthy rich! Just remember after you've invented it, you'll need to build a pistol around it before you can market it.
I'm wondering if Kel-tec has already done that with the 30 rd .22wmr semi-auto pistol they're supposed to unveil this year. The .22 wmr is basically an extra long .22.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts