Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like most choose either the 870, 1100, 11-87, or the mosburg 500 as their shottie's. I don't read alot about the Ithaca 37 or 87 here. Am I alone here in thinking the Ithaca 37 riot gun is about the ulimate shottie? Bottom feed, bottom eject, slam fire, 8shot, perfect balance, handles like a exotic sports car. Man I love the 37.

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
From all I hear it does indeed seem the Ithaca is very much ''up there''. Not so sure I have not heard some good also for a Benelli.

I guess for most folks tho cost is very much a factor, as both Mossy's and 870's in particular seem to come over as great value. I'd like better than my 870 or Mossy 500 but in terms of bang-for-buck, they are well adequate for me.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I was considering the Fabarm shotguns, quite nice, smooth slide. But will likely replace my 500 with a 590.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I carried a 37 for a while way back when. We liked them for the reasons that you mentioned above. Ours had a "choke"system that we called the duckbill. It was designed to disburse the pattern of (??) horizonally. They are one of the most sturdy shotguns ever built.

Today I own a Benelli M1 Super 90 and a Rem.11-87 SPS-T. Both of these I use all year for different critters. The Benelli got two more kills to its credit a couple of nights ago. The Rem.,with it's total black color and 21" bbl. is used for crow, and other stuff,hunting. It has several thousand rds thru it.

I also have a Moss500 that I use for my bedroom weapon. All of these weapons I would highly reccommend. The Rem. needs several new parts(piston,piston seal,and bbl seal) every few hundred rds. But they are cheap and easy to come by. Also the 11-87's will only handle full power loads, so the book sez. I have never shot the light target loads thru mine. I can tell you one thing,it will shoot my extremely heavy handloads (1 1/2oz @ 1380) pretty damn good. (AA hulls only)

Would suggest that you give a Benelli a try before you buy. They are impressive. ---------

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RSSZ, I own the 100, 11-87 and agree that you can't use low brass or any "light" load for that matter as you won't get a reliable cycle. My 870 has never let me down, but I don't use them that much cause I am a Ithaca fan and have a 37 20 ga sid bell edition I use for rabbit hunting, 12 ga featherlight deerslayer I use for shotgun deer hunting, and my riot gun which I use for home defence (just bought it to replace the one I sold a few years ago)
A good friend of mine has the super 90 Benelli, and for me i can hit more and better with the 'ol 37 riot. As a side note anything that JMB designed you can't go wrong with.

·
Banned
318 Posts
The Ithaca's have been in and out of production for awhile now.

Are they even being made again?

If I could get a decent deal on a good used Ithaca I'd buy it in a heart beat.

But I can go find Remimgton or Mossberg to buy any day of the week.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CombatEffective said:
I don't want a combat gun that loads and ejects through the same port.
I think you need to become more fimilar with the Ithaca's operation before you pass judgement on them. They are 1 of the best designes out there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
chris s said:
When they jam they jam.
The only time I have ever seen a Ithaca 37 or 87 jam is when brencie shells (SP?) were used. They are measureed in MM not inches and they are slightly longer tha the regular 2 3/4" shell.
The 37 only was a slam fire up till a certain year (don't remember when) then they were not slam fires.
The 37 or 87 is a rock solid platform no matter how you look at it (YMMV)

·
Administrator
144,206 Posts
The 37 is a nice shotty. I have the DSPS Riot barrel on mine.
Functioning has been forever flawless.
It never misses a beat.
Receiver machined out of a solid block of steel.
A ton of chambering & ejection power.
I'm very happy with mine.
The problem with it...not very many add on accesories ever available for it but, I'm not much of shotgun doo dad sort of a guy. I just want a shotty that Bangs every single time and the Ithaca has never failed...nope, not even once.

·
Registered
606 Posts
To answer your question why always mossberg or remington - simple, they have both been proven time and time again. Like mentioned above there are other good options as well. My main shotty for home defense is a mossberg 500, but I have an ithica as well. Both are wonderful works of engineering. I've had no trouble with either. I dont shoot the ithica much due to its a 16 gauge and ammo is kinda scarce. Good gun though.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Isn't there a Chinese-made Ithaca 37 knockoff?

If there is, anyone own one? How's the quality?

·
Super Moderator
22,294 Posts
srfl said:
Isn't there a Chinese-made Ithaca 37 knockoff?

If there is, anyone own one? How's the quality?
Norinco UNC 1201

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
CombatEffective said:
I don't want a combat gun that loads and ejects through the same port.
I agree. My training included speed feeding a round thru the ejection port if you were out and needed another shot quick. While it may be possible with the 37(I don't know) gravity and ejection/feed arms may get in the way.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I was seriously looking at the new Ithica Police model- actually asked to be on the "call list". But. Ultimately, they've had too many ups and downs and "Out of Business" times in the last few years. If I could have afforded to get dual sets of spares at the same time, I would have done it, but I didn't have the $$ to outlay all at once.

I've had P7s, and currently have STI BLSs- it sucks to be at the mercy of a manufacturer closing a line or shutting down. I'll never do it again. (If I were really pressed, I can make new BLS extractors from key stock and Kasenit, but it's not something I would be thrilled with doing!:aargh4: )

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
OD, GREAT lookin' weapon. May I ask how(where) you found it ?

Seems as though our bbls were shorter but maybe not. Now if you could come up with a "duck bill".

Also,bottom eject.....lefties loved that. -------Edited to add>>Also,OD,does your weapon have a small anchor stamped on the rcvr??----

1 - 20 of 33 Posts