Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a number of "premimum" leather holsters e.g. a Kramer horsehide, several Fist holsters, Galco, DeSantis, etc. and they all squeak when I walk!

Even the leather belt loops on my Fist Kydex holster squeaks. And a person walking beside me can easily hear it.

After some investigation, I have discovered that the squeak on my Kydex holster comes from where the leather belt loops contact my double wide, 1-1/2" gun belt.

I've tried silicon sprays, recommended by one manufacturer, but it doesn't help. I've even tried roughing up the contact side of the leather belt straps with coarse sandpaper to try to get that broken in effect - that didn't work either!

What I have found that does eliminate the squeak is a very thin coating of Vasoline on the contact side of the belt loops, and I mean a very thin coating.

Before you get your hopes up, the Vasoline "solution" is only temporary - it seems to be good for most of the day. But at least it keeps me from squeaking when I walk. So I've started putting that very thin coating of Vasoline on my carry holster of the day every morning. The other thing is, the Vasoline may make the holster slick enough to slide a bit on the belt. I haven't noticed that so much but depending on the holster and belt I can see how it could.

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
Haha - the dreaded squeak!! The worst prob I had was with my Bianchi X-15 sho rig - and the main culprit was the belt attachment loop and where it was fixed to bottom of main holster. I learned to live with it but it was irritating to say least.

My current K&D rig for the SIG is quiet and never squeaked or creaked - same with the one for the SP-101. Not sure why other than fact that being belt slide, the tension across rig because of belt going thru the two slots, is significant and it can't move much - it is tight to body.

I have yet to discover a foolproof cure tho I have to say! Maybe our esteemed rig maker members can comment.

·
Administrator
144,132 Posts
Ha Ha

Don't try to sneak up on any cats guys! Squeak Squeak :rofl:

BTW on leather holsters rubbing some talcum powder into the stitching holes sometimes works. I dunno what to do about squeaking Kydex. :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
13,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QKShooter said:
Don't try to sneak up on any cats guys! Squeak Squeak :rofl

BTW on leather holsters rubbing some talcum powder into the stitching holes sometimes works. I dunno what to do about squeaking Kydex. :biggrin:
Leather and sneak is an oxymoron. There - I've always wanted to use that word.

It's not the Kydex squeakin' it's the leather belt loops that attaches the holster to the belt.

·
Administrator
144,132 Posts
Tangle

oxymoron??

Hey! What did you just call me??? :mad:

:rofl:

·
Super Moderator
13,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QKShooter said:
oxymoron??

Hey! What did you just call me??? :mad:

:rofl:
I don't suppose you'd believe that oxymoron was a compliment? :redface: I didn't think so.

You are puttin' me on, right?

·
Administrator
144,132 Posts
Tangle

With me...

This: :mad: Equals This: :biggrin:
Yes, I'm kidding. :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
I found mink oil on the leather will reduce the squeek. But it does soften the leather so maybe just around the contact areas. You think you have it bad, try wearing a PD duty belt and all the gear.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I have found that using an aerosol silcone spray will help with not only squeak but with smoothness of the draw as well. You can usually find a good quality spray can at Home Depot.

·
Administrator
144,132 Posts
acparmed

Yep, Silicone.
Make SURE the can reads: 100% Silicone or "Pure Silicone Spray"
Don't use anything else.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I sometime use a wax candle, and rub it on the belt where the loops will be, on and in the loops of the holster, and a film on the back of the holster. Works well.

I have also used a couple of liquid solutions that are very slick, and may contain teflon. They work, but are expensive.
Try the candle wax.

Jerry

·
Super Moderator
13,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't tried the candle wax yet; sounds like a good and inexpensive solution. I did try the silicon spray again, and it either didn't help or made the squeak worse.

The super light coat of Vasoline is proving to work well also. It does need to be a light coat, because it does penetrate the leather and it will soften it. Since I'm only using it on leather straps it's not so much of a problem.

But, the candle wax may be the best remedy, since it won't soften the leather.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If your using a holster with slide holes, thread the belt around the front of the holster. Not through the back. It will bring the holster up against your body and hold it in place alot firmer. Squeaks are caused by the holster moving. Slide holsters can be used both ways

If your using a IWB holster and it squeaks try a different belt.

If you take off your gun alot use a paddle holster but don't use one for a large frame, they tend to tip out. If you do use one for a large frame, stick it in your belt backwards with the paddle out and the holster in.

This is from a guy that's been carrying over 30 years and has more holsters than money in the bank. I've all ready made all the mistakes possible buying holsters.

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
Haha - is it perhaps that a rig that squeaks is best suited to a ''mouse'' gun!? :biggrin:

`

·
Registered
132 Posts
I use Milt Sparks rigs exclusively, and yup, they squeak. I talked to the folks there and they said that the best thing to do was live with it. After a while the holster/belt interface breaks in and it goes away.? It's been a year and a half now.......

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
bugs100 said:
If your using a holster with slide holes, thread the belt around the front of the holster. Not through the back. It will bring the holster up against your body and hold it in place alot firmer. Squeaks are caused by the holster moving. Slide holsters can be used both ways
I have been wearing my new set up from Kevin @K&D Holsters ever since I got it, and about 4 days ago it began to squeak like nobodys business. I did a search and found this post, I tried threading the belt on the outside, but it made drawing the gun much harder as there was added inward pressure against the gun. I rubbed a candle all over the contact points and it hasn't made a peep in 3 days. I recoated the wax this morning as I noticed it was all but gone.
I noticed it only started squeaking once it wore through the shinny finish on the belt, but all is good now and I couldn't be happier with my new holster and belt.
Kevin, I love this setup and will give a better more in depth report on it in a few months.

:comeandgetsome:

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I had a Galco Concealable holster for a USP Compact that squeaked a lot. I did a good day's worth of drawing from the holster drills and now the squeak is has been reduced by about 90%.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Hmmm....I've not noticed this in the short time I've been carrying. I have a MS Summer Special for my SP101 and a couple from Kevin for my Glock and none of them seem to squeek. Of course I can't carry during the day at work so the most I carry is for maybe a couple of hours in the evening and on weekends. I guess that the Sparks is the only one with a loop like that. The Eagle Defender is OWB and the Cochise has clips that go over the belt. Is it just a function of these designs that make them squeek resistent?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts