Defensive Carry banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
I'm glad you were able to make the transition, ShooterGranny, though it must have been difficult. I also appreciate the message your are putting out to take the time to get the weapon that fits you so that this kind of damage doesn't occur to one needlessly. Well said, ma'am!

·
Registered
8,115 Posts
I think the problem for most people is that most gun stores don't know how to fit the gun to the person. And even most instructors don't spend the time trying to determine the right gun for their students.
My LGS has a course they run about twice a month, called "Handgun Selection." Lately, it fills up nearly every time. Their range has about every rental gun you can think of. For the course, they haul 'em all on to the range and let newbies try as many as they like, with instructors advising them. People come out of the course knowing what works for them and what doesn't.

I think more gun store/ranges should do that. It is smart for the business also. I will bet a lot of people come out of that course and go right into the store and buy or order.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If I only used one specific model that fits me then I would never shoot most handguns.
I would not hold a Ruger lcp the same manner as a desert eagle 50.
Likewise j frame is held differently than the k l n or x frame.

Glocks were designed to be held with the backstrapbagainst your hand below the thumb not in the web of the hand. Also use a lot of trigger not near the tip. This also remedies the low left hits for a right hand shooter.
Placing the grip in the web of the hand is a good way to experience the full effect of say a 44 mag or a 454 casull. The result usually is a sore wrist.
As we age it really is important to have a solid and secure grip.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
JMF, sounds great! I had to rent a caliber and went through my 3 choices. One shot and one pistol was eliminated. Great gun, great reputation, but definately NOT for me.

Granny, our friend made a similar mistake by not shooting it first. Sorry to hear about your experience. Glad you're able to compensate for it.

·
Super Moderator
21,915 Posts
Excellent post Granny, wish I would have seen it the first time around. (y)
It always amazes me at the ignorance, or maybe it's arrogance, of the those chuckleheads that always pipe-up and say YOU should get accustom to the pistol. Instead of admitting that Glock's are extremely uncomfortable for some people, and you should find the make of pistol that does fit YOUR hand.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My Canik C-100 fits my hand perfectly, I get consisstant placement with it. But I have to add that as far as the most comfortable pistol I've ever held is my FEG AP9 ! In fact, everybody I've let hold it mentioned how nice it is to hold. People with small hands, large hands, right or left handed all comment on it.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Yep. I sold my G20 because it just did not feel quite right even though I could shoot it fine. I now have a G21sf model and that very small front to back grip reduction made a world of difference to my shooting comfort. Still have to Dremel down that dang square trigger guard on the right side to get a proper grip though.
I think fit is the reason I cling to wheel guns so much because they were actually designed around the human hand instead of a square magazine.

·
Registered
33,987 Posts
My 4566 (Center stage on the banner, surrounded by those obsolete 1911s!) didn't fit my hand all that well, so I removed the rubber Hogue with a palm swell and installed the factory straight grip. Much nicer feel now, although it doesn't seem to improve my shooting. Stupid gun... It should shoot better.

Reactions: Tstone and OD*

·
Premium Member
7,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Update on my original post plus my updates:

Last week I took my S&W 686 for me to shoot (very briefly) and for my two shooting friends to try. R shot it fairly well but she did not like it at all and complained about the recoil............that gun is so heavy I never felt any recoil when shooting .38 specials, but that was me and she has her own perceptions. The other friend, L, has small hands and couldn't reach the trigger without rotating the backstrap around to where the recoil would go directly to her thumb joint. NO, no.

Anyway, R had a miserable experience with a featherweight .38 snubbie when she was renting guns, and still did not like my 686 at all. Fortunately she has an M&P .22 compact that she loves and she also does very well when she shoots my M&P .380 Shield and my SIG P238. She thinks she is ready to graduate to a 9mm and is trying various rental guns to make a decision. She is just a kid of 69 years, so she is much, much stronger and agile than I am!

Final note on my beloved 686: With my greatly reduced hand strength I now need both trigger fingers to shoot that 686 which has a very light trigger for a revolver and an action that is smooth as butter. So she will reside in the safe unless Gramps chooses to take he to shoot PPC some week or other. I used to use her for PPC every week when I shot with that group. Could not miss with that one, out to 25 yards! Ah, memories.

Conclusion: Fit is extremely important, but the other factors are still very important also. But it is mis-fit that can, over time, totally trash the bones in your hand and wrist.

·
Registered
Various
15,552 Posts
This is why I prefer a government model 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm. When I draw one, it slips into the perfect fit and perfect position for my hand. The weight soaks up the recoil and the sight radius improves my accuracy. The light crisp trigger improves my accuracy.

My wife is petite 4'11" with small hands and arthritis. She won't try to shoot a 1911 because it is way too big for her hand and too heavy for her to steady it when aiming. She loves her Sig P938 9mm with the pinky extension magazine. She switched to the Sig P938 from an S&W 640 .357 magnum she started carrying in 1992 because she was having to use both index fingers to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I agree that if your hand cannot reach the controls effectively, or you have some other issue that limits your effectiveness with a certain type of gun, that needs to be taken into account. In your scenario, it seems like you know exactly what you need and what works for you.

That being said, when you see able-bodied, adult men saying something like "I cant shoot that (insert full size semi-auto handgun) but I can shoot that (insert other full size semi-auto handgun that is for all intents and purposes completely interchangeable) because it fits my hand better", thats when I call BS. People get too wrapped up in it, and choose one gun over another because it "feels better" in the hand. This is a handgun, not a pair of shoes. Sure, a pair of narrow, lightweight running shoes is going to feel different than a set of steel toe work boots. And maybe within the Nike running shoe lineup, one is going to be slightly different than another. But saying one pair of shoes fits better is much different than saying you can only shoot a HK VP9, but not a M&P9. Saying you will pick a Glock 19 over a CZ P10C because it "feels better."

What I have noticed after spending a year working in a gun shop is the people who are worried about how they perceive the individual ergonomics of a handgun for strictly comfort reasons are typically brand new shooters who dont know enough to know how unimportant it really is in the bigger picture compared to other things like reliability.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Good thread ShooterGranny, I missed it the first time around.

Am so sorry that happened to you, never realized that is what happened to your hand.

Agree with LimaCharlie, a 1911 does fit great. That being said, I’m edc the smith Shield over the colt .45 because of reliability. Heart breaking to say that...truth is truth though

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
Everybody needs an opportunity to find a really good feeling, good shooting gun, like a good dog or good chair.

My personal bar is a stock Sig P226. It shoots like driving a Buick, smooth and predictable and it can put the hammer down like a Corvette when needed.

My favorite fit is my Ruger Super Blackhawk leaned up against a big enough tree.

·
Premium Member
7,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
My problem is that most guns are too small for my hands.
Well, then, unless you are a serious recoil junkie you are not likely to wind up with advanced arthritis of the thumb joint and total collapse of the wrist bones like I did from what the orthopedic surgeon described as "repeated trauma over an extended period of time." It took me a while after his diagnosis to realize that it was from almost 20 years of shooting those double stack Glocks that did not fit my hand properly!

Reactions: Bad Bob
41 - 56 of 56 Posts