Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruger makes some great guns, and when mentioning defensive revolvers the SP101 is easily at the top of the list. If you own an SP101 what made you choose it? Was it looks, price, features, caliber, barrel length-weight-size, or are you just a Ruger fan?

I've always gravitated towards S&W's but there has always been a draw to the SP101, I find it an attractive platform while offering a great selection of features. I would love a .357, a 9mm, and one of my grail guns would be a 2" in .22 LR, why didn't I buy that .22 back in the day when I had the chance.

Tell me why you choose the SP 101 or why you would choose it.

Edit: Pictures welcome.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Ruger makes some great guns, and when mentioning defensive revolvers the SP101 is easily at the top of the list. If you own an SP101 what made you choose it? Was it looks, price, features, caliber, barrel length-weight-size, or are you just a Ruger fan?

I've always gravitated towards S&W's but there has always been a draw to the SP101, I find it an attractive platform while offering a great selection of features. I would love a .357, a 9mm, and one of my grail guns would be a 2" in .22 LR, why didn't I buy that .22 back in the day when I had the chance.

Tell me why you choose the SP 101 or why you would choose it.
I have owned 2 S&W revolvers and a SP101. I broke 2 Jframes in the span of about 3 months. The new S&W revolvers just aren't built like the old ones. The Ruger is a TANK. Run out of bullets? Use it as a club. If your going for pocket carry I don't think it's a great option but for IWB I think it's a great CCW revolver. The extra weight soaks up a bit more of the recoil from .357's making them a bit more comfortable to shoot. Also, it doesn't have that annoying cylinder release that grinds your thumb knuckle like the J frame.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Dumb luck. Actually, I read a little, but didn't like the fact that the early .357 models were limited to 125 grain loads. By the time I had saved enough dough to start looking at buying a new revolver, the LGS shop shared that the newer ones weren't limited in their load. That was 25 or so years ago. That little 3.15" SP101 is a great shooter and a solid gun. Not too many years ago I changed out the stock grips for Hogues. That made it even better.

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
...If you own an SP101 what made you choose it? Was it looks, price, features, caliber, barrel length-weight-size, or are you just a Ruger fan?...
All of the above!

·
Registered
218 Posts
It just feels solid. You know by the heft in your hand its going to be reliable, but its not too bulky. I also find that its easier to open and close the cylinder compared to S&W and older Colt's I've handled.

I happen to have the Spurless model, which I think just looks and feels better than the S&W internal hammer design. S&W's design just feels hokey in comparison. Yes, I like it because it looks sexier. :smile:

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
My GP100s had lost their little brother until I found him hiding in the LGS.

Aside from that, It's built like a tank and can handle even my rather warm hand loads with ease.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
There isn't much I can say about the SP101 that hasn't already been said. The good reviews abound.
High on the list of Ruger revolvers that I own and have owned are the Security Six, the SP101, and the LCR. It may seem strange to some but the GP100 has not been a favorite of mine. I've never owned any of the single action Rugers....yet.

The SP101 is a forever gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
If you own an SP101 what made you choose it? Was it looks, price, features, caliber, barrel length-weight-size, or are you just a Ruger fan?
Yes to all.

IMO S&W revolvers are popular because they've been around longer. They are the landmark. Like some people refer to Colt 1911's. The original, even though they aren't built the same way anymore.
But when Ruger came onto the scene it was fewer parts, reliability, both large and small packages, THE GUN to test heavy loads with, LE carried them, price... you had the whole package. What wasn't to like? The SP101 is a solid revolver and will hold up to .357 rounds being shot through it. It epitomizes Ruger. And quite frankly, my very first revolver was a Ruger because I preferred the cylinder release button over Colt and S&W. The SP101 is to Ruger today what the Security-Six or GP used to be. Hits on all cylinders.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
A 3" SP101 is my everyday carry gun. Why? I like revolvers. I like the variety of loads available for 38/357 even shoot 180 grain Buffalo Bore on occasion. Good balance, well built,easy takedown, grip choices, front sight choices, etc...

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Because it is a beautiful little wheel gun, it has a great reputation, it's compact, fun to shoot, easy to carry and very accurate. Here's my 2 1/4 in model, Wasp:

I wasn't completely thrilled with the out-of-the-box trigger (especially in D/A) but a little "fluff & buff" improved it greatly, along with grinding about 5/16 in. off the main spring.

Now, it's easy to "stage" that D/A trigger. Here's a recent range session (I haven't shot it much, and had not shot it in several months)

That was 50 rounds of .38 Spl. to warm-up. First 5 (to the head) were S/A, then all others D/A. And then:

50 rounds of aluminum case .357 Magnum. I fired the first 5 in S/A (to the head, again.) Really unimpressive but this was immediately after 50 rounds of .38 Spl.

I realized that I needed to pay attention and settle down, which I did, and I fired the other 45 rounds in D/A.

I was not unhappy at all, Wasp. This a GOOD little gun.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Yes to all.

IMO S&W revolvers are popular because they've been around longer. They are the landmark. Like some people refer to Colt 1911's. The original, even though they aren't built the same way anymore.
But when Ruger came onto the scene it was fewer parts, reliability, both large and small packages, THE GUN to test heavy loads with, LE carried them, price... you had the whole package. What wasn't to like? The SP101 is a solid revolver and will hold up to .357 rounds being shot through it. It epitomizes Ruger. And quite frankly, my very first revolver was a Ruger because I preferred the cylinder release button over Colt and S&W. The SP101 is to Ruger today what the Security-Six or GP used to be. Hits on all cylinders.
YEAH ! Hittin' on all five ! :headbang:

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I bought a 2 1/8 " .357 SP101 DAO for a concealed carry gun for when I didn't want to carry a steel framed 1911 around. Well I had owned & shot other .38 snubbys and accuracy with those guns was most often very poor. I was shocked at the accuracy that little Ruger gave me and it was DAO !

I couldn't help but wonder what kind of accuracy I could get out of the 3 1/16 " SP101 with the SA /DA trigger so I sold my DAO SP to a buddy and bought the SA /DA 3 1/16 .357 SP. Well I am very happy with this combination! Very, very accurate and that extra inch of barrel gives more velocity than it should.

The longer barrel is just as easy for me conceal as the shorter version.
I carry this little revolver a lot during the hunting season, and its my go to hiking / trail gun. Enough horsepower for any of the wild things I might encounter and is more than enough for any two legged predators where ever they may be encountered. I call my SP101 my " Town & Country Gun."

A S&W J frame trigger will always be smoother but the SP101 will always be stouter. If ya like heavy loads always go with a Ruger!

Oh yes, my friend that bought my first SP101 off of me carries his every day.

Yes, the SP101 definitely has a cult following for a reason.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
I bought mine for all reasons except "already a fan" - didn't have any allegiance to any brand. Needed something I could throw in my back pocket while in the truck yard @ 0'dark thirty (didn't have a permit to carry in public at the time). Sold it b/c didn't get the velocity of a "real" 357 (6"), is a chunk to carry (now that I have a permit), heavy trigger and recoil, and I placed it on top of my G23 and they're the same size/weight. May have kept it if I had a spring kit in it and I was familiar then as I am now with staging a DA trigger.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts