Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
Lenexa, KS (Kansas City Metro)
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because the caliber size difference between 10mm and 9mm is only 1 mm why would you use 10mm? I have always wonder this so I thought I would ask? I shoot 9mm. Are there a lot of guns that can shoot 10mm?

·
Registered
20,115 Posts
Because the caliber size difference between 10mm and 9mm is only 1 mm why would you use 10mm? I have always wonder this so I thought I would ask? I shoot 9mm. Are there a lot of guns that can shoot 10mm?
Preference mostly.
The 9mm is not in the same league as the 10mm.

·
Registered
17,169 Posts
They have a few threads on this already. But the 9mm isn't close to a full power 10mm. If you would check this out on this site, it's already been done before. The 9mm, 40 S&W, 10mm and the 45 AP.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Around 50% more energy. Not so many handgun choices for 10mm. Glock has been a steady manufacturer of 10mm handguns. I think STI, Rock Island, EAA and Sig to name a few. Colt in past days.

·
Premium Member
Lenexa, KS (Kansas City Metro)
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the great info - I had no idea. I will check for other threads on D.C.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
I wondered the same thing. Son brought a Rock Island 10mm with us to the range last trip. Almost in line with a .45. Very nice round. Seemed to have the punch of a .45 and many steps up from a 9mm.

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
I do like the 10MM on occasion because it gives me 10 rounds instead of 8 rounds.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
When you convert it to inches it becomes clearer to me, .355 vs .40. Velocity has more effect on power than diameter. Most people consider a 30 caliber rifle large, 7mm and 6.5mm powerful enough for any American game.
The formula for figuring out energy starts out velocity X velocity X weight. Two hundred feet per second makes a huge difference. The 10mm has velocity.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Plus you can't just go by diameter. It might "only" be 1mm in diameter larger (which personally I think is a lot when it comes to firearms), but 10mm is a longer cartridge. Bigger case=more powder.
This!

Reactions: PAcanis

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
I suppose the same question could be applied to 10mm versus 45 since its "only" 1mm.

I put 10mm with 357 Sig, enthusiast calibers for the energy oriented.
One that chooses 357 Sig rather than 40 sacrifices a bit of diameter for increased KE.
Same applies to 10mm you gain KE and capacity over 45 acp for the cost of a little diameter.

A basic comparison with three of my carry options, using ammo I have available.
Glock 19:
Federal HST 124 gr. +P @ 1,210 fps / 403# KE (15 rounds)
Glock 21 SF:
Winchester Ranger T 230 gr. @ 931 fps / 443# KE (13 rounds)
Glock 20 SF:
Hornady 155 XTP @ 1,335 fps / 614# KE (15 rounds)

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Go stand between a guy shooting a 9mm & a guy warming-up a 10mm at a steel-plate range. Listen & watch. The difference will be pretty obvious. One will sound like a rifle caliber & the plates will react MUCH more..."violently". :yup:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Think of this scenario: you are being charged by a bear and have two firearms in front of you. One shoots a 9mm bullet weighing 124 grains at 1250 FPS. The other shoots a 175 grain bullet at 1290 FPS. What gun would you reach for?

·
Registered
20,115 Posts
If I was really concerned about bears, like brown or grizzly, I'm going to have a small carbine like a 45-70 or a 12 gauge with slugs slung over my back, no matter what I'm doing.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Basically because 10mm has about half again more horsepower than 9mm. So if that is your cup of tea, then the 10mm is the round
to go with.....but ya better reload....it gets expensive.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts