Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following is a perfect example of why one should not blindly jump into a situation:

Associated Press
Saturday, December 26, 2009

WILDER, Vt. — Police say a Good Samaritan who stopped at what he thought was a car accident ended up getting stabbed in the hand by a man who had just rammed into his wife's car.

The Barre Times Argus reports that Thomas Bleeks of Norwich was heading home from work Wednesday night when he came upon two cars stopped on an Interstate 91 onramp. He told police he saw a man assaulting a woman in one of the cars, and when he reached in to stop him, was stabbed in the hand with a set of keys.

Twenty-two-year-old Alexey Mameav of Quechee was charged with drunken driving, domestic assault and five other charges.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've got to admit...

I'd do an assessment of the situation, which it sounds like the good guy may have done; barring some overwhelming threat, I think I'd have felt compelled to assist too.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I'd do an assessment of the situation, which it sounds like the good guy may have done; barring some overwhelming threat, I think I'd have felt compelled to assist too.
Yea, me too. I would want to assist depending on how bad the assault was. If it was fairly benign, I would call 911, watch, and write down his license plate #. If she was in danger of serious injury I would be more compelled to put myself at risk.

I came across a domestic violence assault last year (while in my car) and was a good witness. BG was arrested and everything worked out for the best.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I see a man assaulting a woman in a car and I'm calling 911 while I stop and get out at a safe distance while ordering him to stop,after several repeated warnings I will draw and order him to stop or I 'll shoot,I'm disabled and can't go hands on with anyone,but I won't stand by while some guy beats or kills a woman(Texas Law allows me to come to the aid of a third party)

·
Registered
866 Posts
Like I would stand by while some woman is being assaulted..... Good on him.

·
Registered
231 Posts
good time for OC spray, I wouldn't stand by and watch either, but with out being there I don't know what my action would be

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
I don't see this as a reason "not to" get involved in a bad situation, just be real careful about doing it and realize what you are getting into in that given situation. Even if this was a "domestic" situation.

I've inserted myself into a couple of situations .... that were domestic. One was on the highway, and the guy stopped the car on the side of the road... pulled the woman out of the car and was pummeling her... I thought he would kill her (seriously). I pulled up, told him to STOP and was already on the phone with 911... and when he realized that, he came for me. I was prepared for that (unarmed at the time) and it got a bit wild... he was a crazy man gone completely off the deep end.

It ended up stopping all traffic, but ... his attention was on me instead of her, we now had numerous witnesses, and 911 had been called upfront and when they heard the stuff going on (couldn't really talk to them but they were still on the phone) .... they hurried up about getting police there. In the meantime, I was able to come out of it unhurt.

It ended up he had thrown her in the car and told her that he was going to take her out in the country to kill her, and seemed to have that intent (had weapons, etc. in the trunk). He had her and a 4 yr old kid with him.. and she said something that really set him off worse and he wasn't going to wait until he was out in the country. He was arrested on "attempted murder".

She was rather happy about it though, and couldn't quit telling me "if you hadn't have done that, I would have been dead.... " . Same thing the police told me too. He had been keeping a knife to her throat in the car and cut her some and beaten her fairly well prior to that point.

I'm just glad that now I can legally 'carry'.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've inserted myself into a couple of situations .... One was on the highway...
Kind of curious how you fought him, and how the police responded when they got there, etc.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
Like I would stand by while some woman is being assaulted..... Good on him.
What if the woman was beating the crap out of the man?:blink:

I'll remain a good witness...one just never knows all the facts.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My high school buddy's father was shot and killed for trying to stop a couple of guys from raping a young girl.

Something to think about...

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Seriously, I love threads like this as they’re always thought provoking, and make me stop and think. Most of my life I worked in the service of others, so it was always natural for me to jump right in. Today I’m older, less physically fit and hopefully a bit wiser. I have learned that people are far more brazen and unpredictable. Likewise, I’m armed, so any intervention on my part will place my gun in close proximity to whatever I volunteer to do.

Summation: I have to ask myself and satisfy my concerns, of unintended consequences to my well-intended efforts.
Regards,

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Definitely assess the situation and take whatever action you deem necessary. For some that's calling the cops for some that's intervening physically if no weapons are present after assessing the situation as stated. If you are armed as in Texas you have the right to assist a 3rd party.

As a cop in the service I've assisted victims several times during domestic disputes and sometimes that turned out to be the woman beating the crap out of the service member and they couldn't hit back for fear of losing their careers, so it can happen for wierds reasons.

As far as the scenario presented, I would assist physically if that's what the situation called for.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Having a hard and fast rule about "always/never" jumping in is just foolish. There are probably plenty of horror stories on each side, and plenty of happy endings for each as well. If you have enough common sense to carry responsibly, then you have enough common sense to act responsibly when faced with a situation like that.

·
8,501 Posts
He was stabbed in the hand with a set of keys.
What? That's it? Pretty mild if you ask me.

·
Registered
152 Posts
On the way to work one morning with the wife, saw a man tailgating a woman CLOSE, basically playing tag with her and being a boar. He got her to pull off I-94 in Ann Arbor, I pulled off in front of both of their cars and just watched him (before I had my CPL). About 1 minute passed then he just peeled away, then she left. I hope I stopped a road rage incident from escalating, but who knows for sure.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just to make it interesting, as I suspect a lot of LEOs would tell you, you also have to worry about the woman potentially turning on you once you confront her "beloved." It's a very common occurrence.

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Yea, me too. I would want to assist depending on how bad the assault was. If it was fairly benign, I would call 911, watch, and write down his license plate #. If she was in danger of serious injury I would be more compelled to put myself at risk.

good time for OC spray, I wouldn't stand by and watch either, but with out being there I don't know what my action would be

^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^

I don't see this as a reason "not to" get involved in a bad situation, just be real careful about doing it and realize what you are getting into in that given situation. Even if this was a "domestic" situation.

I've inserted myself into a couple of situations .... that were domestic. One was on the highway, and the guy stopped the car on the side of the road... pulled the woman out of the car and was pummeling her... I thought he would kill her (seriously). I pulled up, told him to STOP and was already on the phone with 911... and when he realized that, he came for me. I was prepared for that (unarmed at the time) and it got a bit wild... he was a crazy man gone completely off the deep end.

It ended up stopping all traffic, but ... his attention was on me instead of her, we now had numerous witnesses, and 911 had been called upfront and when they heard the stuff going on (couldn't really talk to them but they were still on the phone) .... they hurried up about getting police there. In the meantime, I was able to come out of it unhurt.

It ended up he had thrown her in the car and told her that he was going to take her out in the country to kill her, and seemed to have that intent (had weapons, etc. in the trunk). He had her and a 4 yr old kid with him.. and she said something that really set him off worse and he wasn't going to wait until he was out in the country. He was arrested on "attempted murder".

She was rather happy about it though, and couldn't quit telling me "if you hadn't have done that, I would have been dead.... " . Same thing the police told me too. He had been keeping a knife to her throat in the car and cut her some and beaten her fairly well prior to that point.

I'm just glad that now I can legally 'carry'.
^^^^WoW^^^^^^ These things Happen!!!

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man: brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Mark Twain

1 - 20 of 30 Posts