Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do so many of late seem overly concerned about their CCW permit wait times?

Will it come sooner if one inquires?
Will you be waiting on your front porch if you [know] it's coming today?

I can't speak to other states but in Indiana the state police oversee & administer the licensing.
A simple phone call to the licensing authority is met with a recording concerning current wait times.

There is zilch one can do to speed the process; when it arrives it arrives.

Reactions: DaveInEdmonds

·
Premium Member
5,008 Posts
Because it's like Christmas.... you know something good is coming.

It's not like Christmas..... you never know which day.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I think alot of people go out and spend good money on gear and training and can't wait to practice what they've learned.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think alot of people go out and spend good money on gear and training and can't wait to practice what they've learned.
I understand that; really I do. But are they hoping by asking the question it will speed up the process or do they feel some of us have the inside scoop and will pencil whip their paperwork. LOL?

The license will come barring any problems and each state usually will clearly spell out current wait times either via a website or a ph call.

Dudes & dudettes; chill. No one here knows what day it will arrive.

·
Banned
1,353 Posts
Only had to wait 3 days for mine. Don't see why everyone is in such a tizzy :wink:

·
Registered
444 Posts
I agree no clue why people worry about the wait haha.

Or even better is asking on forums on how long everyone else waited, and if they should try and talk to the judge... lmao.

Oh well, to each their own.

Here in NY the permit process is insane, almost 2 years depending on location.

And obviously no permit in NYC unless you just want it to have one, and don't even need it because of your armed guards ;) lmao

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anticipation is a human trait. Engaging others in concerns may very well be a way of demonstrating as well as dealing with the associated anxiety...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd say that a lot of the nervousness comes from the fear that you forgot some simple crossing if a 't' or dotting an eye. Until you get that card in hand you never really know that you're done. It is also a call out to other waiters that are in their same area\state; trying get an idea of the wait times for others.

Let's just try to keep patient with them.

sre

·
Premium Member
10,172 Posts
...when it arrives it arrives.
I know the answer but you will just have to wait for me to tell you..."when it arrives it arrives.":wink:

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Registered
179 Posts
There are three types of people in this country: Impatient people, lazy people, and hard working, patient people. The majority are the first two. Look at convenience stores, fast food, and Walmart.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Most people think in terms of unidentified, generalized threats. Ie a mugger, or burglar, or whatever. HOWEVER, some of us got our CCPs for SPECIFIC, IDENTIFIED, threats...and you are in a hurry then.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Probably because it's not right to have to pay & then wait for a RIGHT to be exercised?

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
I'm sure there are some state specific difference in the reasons why people are concerned with this.

Here the law prescribes the processing time; so it is disconcerting when DPS is unable to complete the job within the time
set for them.

I think that by and large they do a decent enough job but there is always room for improvement.

·
Registered
32 Posts
With all due respect to the OP ...

I marvel more at people :hand5: who wonder about people who wonder about their CHL wait times.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Will it come sooner if one inquires?
Will you be waiting on your front porch if you [know] it's coming today?

I can't speak to other states but in Indiana the state police oversee & administer the licensing.
A simple phone call to the licensing authority is met with a recording concerning current wait times.

There is zilch one can do to speed the process; when it arrives it arrives.
My observation is that this site seems to be home to a HUGE number of people that are brand new to gun ownership. As such, they seem to feel the need to share every nuance of their new experiences and are very impatient do their "Wally Walk".

·
Registered
289 Posts
My observation is that this site seems to be home to a HUGE number of people that are brand new to gun ownership. As such, they seem to feel the need to share every nuance of their new experiences and are very impatient do their "Wally Walk".
Well yeah! Having made the commitment of time, resources, and energy to be being a responsible gun owner, it's frustrating to have to await the turning of the wheels of the bureaucracy, which seem so arbitrary. In my state, the Highway Patrol is legally obligated to issue a permit in 45 days, even if the background check is incomplete. Unfortunately for a while they were exceeding that date due to the volume. While I'm sympathetic, I doubt they would have been as forgiving had folks decided to start CCing at the 45 day point of their own accord.

It's also interesting to read about the different states' implementation of CCW laws and processes. I have no clue why NE takes 45 days to process them, while some states seem to have a process that takes a week. Obviously their are differences between the processes, but it's interesting to see the difference. It makes me wonder if states with easy processes encounter more problems with concealed permit holders than those that have a long involved set of hoops to jump through. I suspect there's no difference, but that's not based on anything but speculation.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well yeah! Having made the commitment of time, resources, and energy to be being a responsible gun owner, it's frustrating to have to await the turning of the wheels of the bureaucracy, which seem so arbitrary. In my state, the Highway Patrol is legally obligated to issue a permit in 45 days, even if the background check is incomplete. Unfortunately for a while they were exceeding that date due to the volume. While I'm sympathetic, I doubt they would have been as forgiving had folks decided to start CCing at the 45 day point of their own accord.

It's also interesting to read about the different states' implementation of CCW laws and processes. I have no clue why NE takes 45 days to process them, while some states seem to have a process that takes a week. Obviously their are differences between the processes, but it's interesting to see the difference. It makes me wonder if states with easy processes encounter more problems with concealed permit holders than those that have a long involved set of hoops to jump through. I suspect there's no difference, but that's not based on anything but speculation.
My state is 120 day limit. I think VA is required to send a temp after 7 days. Now my LEOs are saying they're so behind, don't even expect the process to start until 30 after they received your packet. Crazy.

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
This is my spin on the whole issue . When someone comes in the site and post a new thing ( ccp, walk,training ) they are excited and happy . It is not our job to rain on there parade or pee in there rice krispys . I think we all as gun people should support and sometimes have a little fun at someones expense but not too rough. Most of the time we can not talk to alot of people where we work or the guy next store for security or just because .
I think this is a great way to let it all out and even to get the cheers . So most of the time i can sense the excitement in the message and truely happy for that person . So as far as i'm concerned tell your story ask questions the only way you learn .

1 - 20 of 44 Posts