Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread may exist already, but for the benifet of the newer folks on the forum, what is the need for a CHL from another state? Are there advantages and disadvantages to haveing multiple? I live in TX and, though I dont have mine yet (please pm me if you are a CHL instructor in the Houston area :wave:), i realize that a TX permit will allow carry in most states though not all.

Please add comments. Thanks :hand10:

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
An out of state permit, such as Utah's, will add several states to your list. That is the primary reason to get an out of state permit. Utah's is one of the most widely accepted, and therefore quite popular as someone's first choice for a second permit.

Hope this helps

I think the ultimate goal is to be able to carry anywhere you go...obviously not possible, but get the most you can so you don't have to go unarmed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've been wondering the same things. To some, it seems to be a new sport or hobby to see just how many permits one can acquire.

Recession? I don't think so.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An out of state permit, such as Utah's, will add several states to your list. That is the primary reason to get an out of state permit. Utah's is one of the most widely accepted, and therefore quite popular as someone's first choice for a second permit.

Hope this helps
It helps, but one more question I forgot to add (maybe ill edit....again :smoke23:). Do you have to have a CHL in your resident state in order to obtain one in another state, or does that vary in each state?

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
I don't know other states laws on this, but in Utah, you can get a permit (resident or not) regardless of other permits.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I have a Maine permit simply because they don't honor anyone else, they are shall issue and I go up there every summer. It's nice to have.

In addition as others have stated, other permits pick up other states you can carry in that does not honor your home state permit.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
It helps, but one more question I forgot to add (maybe ill edit....again :smoke23:). Do you have to have a CHL in your resident state in order to obtain one in another state, or does that vary in each state?
It depends on the state. In PA, NH and ME you need a home state permit. I remember having to produce my PA LTCF to Maine and New Hampshire in order to obtain an out of state permit.

FL for example, does not require a home state permit.

·
Registered
756 Posts
A couple of reasons:

- lost wallet
- late/forgotten renewal
- reciprocity with more states

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm a Kentucky resident who lived in Pa for 20+ years. As I visit from time to time, I thought the purchase of a non-resident license might be a good idea if only to protect me from the, shall we say "eager" cop, who would not be impressed by my Ky license. The Ky license is honored in Pa but that would not necessarily help should I for some reason run into a horses behind in uniform.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
If you travel to states your home state does not have reciprocity with it is a good thing to get. Florida and Utah are your best bet for max coverage. I believe Utah will become harder to get as they are requiring instructors to go to Utah for training. Not something I, and I believe others will not be willing to do so they will lose me as an out-of-state instructor when my renewal comes up.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
Recently in another thread, someone moved to a different state and now has to wait 6 mo before even applying for a permit while his former state's permit is now invalid - that's a potential 8 mos w/o a permit.

If you have an out of state permit, your status as a CC'er doesn't show up in a DMV check when pulled over - never know the attitude of the cop pulling you over.

In Fl, you can use your DD214 to get your permit so it may be easier to get until you can get to a local course. Of course, that doesn't excuse you from learning your state's deadly force statutes.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I live in Oregon and Oregon does not recognize permits from any other state. Washington does not recognize an Oregon permit. My grandchildren live in Washington so in order to avoid hassle it is easier from me to have both an Oregon and Washington concealed carry permit. :twak:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Too many people in Missouri have access to the CC database to suit me. I have an out of state permit to limit the number of locals that might know I carry when away from my house.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
It all depends on where you live, where you travel, individual state CCW laws...:confused::rolleyes:
Some may not need another state CCW permit...others may find it extremely usefull.
My FL permit covers me for any place I desire to travel.:king:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So from what I have read so far, and thanks for the imput, i gather that some states allow instructors from other states to teach, and issue licenses from those respective states? Anyone know if you can get a UT permit in TX?

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
- lost wallet
- late/forgotten renewal
- reciprocity with more states
Excellent list.

Even more excellent and beneficial for me because I hadn't thought of the first one.

*Reminds self to not carry both licenses at the same time, or to make a copy of the PA license, and leave original at home*

Losing a wallet, or having it stolen, is always a possibility. Getting a replacement CCW won't be instantaneous, either.

Thanks for the tip.

Hmmmm, does BackUp License get its own acronym now (BUL)? :embarassed:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Why have other state carry permits? If you are carrying in a state that does not recognize your state's permit will get you in a lot of hot water.

Hopefully, the federal legislation on reciprocal recognition that passed overwhelmingly in the house and senate (but needed 2 votes more in the senate) will come up again and that will become law.

Notify your congress people and senators to support the reciprocal recognition legislation of state permits by all states.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Why have other state carry permits? If you are carrying in a state that does not recognize your state's permit will get you in a lot of hot water.

Hopefully, the federal legislation on reciprocal recognition that passed overwhelmingly in the house and senate (but needed 2 votes more in the senate) will come up again and that will become law.

Notify your congress people and senators to support the reciprocal recognition legislation of state permits by all states.
Both of my Senators voted for it. Did yours?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts