Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night we got a scare at 1:30am. My wife and son were up late talking about life and his girlfriend and I was asleep. My son wakes me up at 1:45 and says "dad, their is a fight outside". I stumbled awake, still groggy and trying to figure out how there is a fight anywhere near my home. We live in a small, sedate, lake community. The house next to me is empty, the house on the other side is a nice family, so WHO is FIGHTING?

I look out the window and there are no less than 30 kids (late teens early twenties) screaming, hollering, and posturing for an all out brawl they were LOUD. One would run in and throw a punch, and then another two would attack that one and on so on. Apparently my across the street neighbor, who I have a great relationship with, let his 20 year old son have a giant party and it had gotten out of hand and a fight started which spilled outside and into my yard/driveway. My wife called the sheriff and was on the phone with them as I watched my neighbor and his wife try and corral the unruly party goers (underage drunks no less). Oh, did I mention it was POURING down rain in the middle of a thunderstorm? I have 3 kids still at home, my 7 year old and my 10 year old were asleep and then my 17 year old who watched with me. We sat and just watched through the window (Glock in hand). My biggest fear was that one of the kids would have a gun or something and a stray round would catch my family.

At the height of the brawl I honestly thought about putting a few rounds into my yard to scare them away, but I know that is a BAD idea. So I just watched and waited with the wife giving play by play to the Sheriffs office. Well, by 2:30am when the cops FINALLY showed up (yes, 45 min response time) the neighbor and his wife had cleared the street, sent most of the kids home and all was quiet. The deputies drove up the street, shined their lights on the house, blipped the siren and drove off. Great job guys! NOT!

After the cops left I put the Glock in the safe and went to bed. This morning my neighbor offered their apologies and offered to pay for a flower of my wife's that got trampled.

I had a couple takeaways:
1. When you need the cops, they are NOT coming. Get as many guns and as much ammo as you can, and a rifle with 30 round mags is a good choice!
2. I am so glad I had my Glock 23 with 15 round mags (3 of them loaded and ready) over a 5 or 6 shot pocket pistol.
3. My neighbors are morons. I lost a lot of respect for them, they sent a lot of drunk teenagers away from their house, I hope nobody died in a car wreck.
4. Crap can happy anywhere, anytime, even in a semi-rural sleepy lake community.

Thoughts? Comments?

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
...from the safety of your home, you watched a fist fight, gun in hand? what did you see that justified deadly force? anyone even looking like they might break into your home? anyone armed?
...yes, it's reassuring to have a gun...everyone should have one...but they are tools for specific situations...not for scaring kids away...not for firing warning shots...but to save you and/or your family from an imminent threat of death or great bodily harm...

...if you read your state's deadly force laws in the calm of the day, you may see what I'm concerned about...

http://law.onecle.com/alabama/criminal-code/13A-3-23.html

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
He didn't fire any warning shots... he said he considered it but knew it was a bad idea. He watched with gun in hand in case there came a time when deadly force WAS necessary.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Perhaps he grabbed it whilst he was waking to investigate. Should a person assess the threat then return to a gun only if needed? Perhaps by then, it could be too late.

I've holstered up to answer the door late at night when we weren't expecting anyone. He has every right to do the same...even in hand. The OP did nothing wrong.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
You did the right things, in the right order, at the right time.
Your wife giving the S.O. a running play by play establishes your credibility should there be any courtroom action following the event; such incoming conversations are routinely monitored.
It's been said one should never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers. Sounds like this bunch qualified; a mob, especially fueled with liquid courage, can do a lot of damage fast.

·
Registered
401 Posts
All said, he played it just as I would have.
Stayed ensconced in house, ready to defend, documenting the scenario to local LEO's.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Good job. Observe and keep ready.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I'd have been armed and ready by the time I got to the window too .... like Nebraska said, assessing the threat then deciding you needed to be armed may be too late.

·
Banned
2,030 Posts
i'm not getting it. Why do you need guns to watch a fight that you're not involved with? good luck

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...from the safety of your home, you watched a fist fight, gun in hand?
I watched an all out street brawl that was spilling over into my yard/driveway. My fear was that one would have a gun.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
...from the safety of your home, you watched a fist fight, gun in hand? what did you see that justified deadly force?
If outside my home there was a large violent brawl occurring, I'd have the gun out as well. No deadly force justified at all, from that distance from within one's own home, of course. But prudence is what prudence is. Myself, after assessing, I'd have simply holstered up and remained so; wouldn't have had it out and in-hand, after initially assessing the situation. But that's just me. Either would be rational and reasonable, within one's own home, IMO.

This morning my neighbor offered their apologies and offered to pay for a flower of my wife's that got trampled.
What did your neighbor have to do with the violent brawl in the neighborhood? Was it due to a party/gathering they were having at their home, or something.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
...I read that in your post...and that you even considered "putting a few rounds into my yard to scare them away" STILL concerns me...and that you sat there gun IN HAND and watched them fight a considerable distance from your house with no weapons apparent on their part...and there was obviously no threat to you or your family...I didn't fault that you HAD a gun...but there was no reason to sit inside your home in complete safety holding a gun throughout the fight...you weren't "holding them off"...they likely didn't even know you were there...

...if one of the gang had pulled a pistol and fired a couple of shots at the other side, and one of the bullets had come into your window...what would you have done?would you have shot at him from the window? gone out and shot at him?

...I realize you were awakened from sleep...but some of your thoughts were alarming...and there was no reason to have a gun in your hand the whole time...

...you asked for thoughts and comments...my thoughts are that you were making it more of a "gun needed" situation than you needed to...and I think you need to review your deadly force laws so that you're sure when the gun should be in play...and not...and I stand by the comments I made...
I watched an all out street brawl that was spilling over into my yard/driveway. My fear was that one would have a gun.

·
Banned
963 Posts
Stay alert, stay alert, stay alert,,,,, gun at the ready if
YOU deem it necessary. Good job,,,,, my opinion.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Accessing a similar situation and not preparing is what got a close friend and his daughter killed in 1969. being prepared is not taken action until needed and that is why there is a weapon very close at all times but that is me and I have to go with my gut feeling as I am sure most of you would and using caution.

·
Premium Member
5,127 Posts
You did the right thing in the right order. Thank God you didn't fire. There's a whole 'nuther can of worms that would have been opened.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I keep thinking about the part that it was a bunch of kids. I know, it's a BUNCH of kids, but they were fighting. You weren't really involved. Like said above, if one of them HAD fired off a round, what would you do? Run out? Return fire? Tell him to stop? What if you didn't even get a good look at who did the shooting? There were 30 kids! This is a tough one, IMO. Gun ready, not a bad idea and I woulda probably done the same. But kids really skews all the options. It's like a special circumstance.

·
Premium Member
6,592 Posts
You done good. When there is a MOB FIGHT, like you had encroaching on your property, and the safety of your family at stake, Id have done the same. Though, likely Id have added the 870 to the mix.

Agree re LE. They show up to draw chalk outlines. And it will only get worse; they are cutting funding in most places, now.

Last night we got a scare at 1:30am. My wife and son were up late talking about life and his girlfriend and I was asleep. My son wakes me up at 1:45 and says "dad, their is a fight outside". I stumbled awake, still groggy and trying to figure out how there is a fight anywhere near my home. We live in a small, sedate, lake community. The house next to me is empty, the house on the other side is a nice family, so WHO is FIGHTING?

I look out the window and there are no less than 30 kids (late teens early twenties) screaming, hollering, and posturing for an all out brawl they were LOUD. One would run in and throw a punch, and then another two would attack that one and on so on. Apparently my across the street neighbor, who I have a great relationship with, let his 20 year old son have a giant party and it had gotten out of hand and a fight started which spilled outside and into my yard/driveway. My wife called the sheriff and was on the phone with them as I watched my neighbor and his wife try and corral the unruly party goers (underage drunks no less). Oh, did I mention it was POURING down rain in the middle of a thunderstorm? I have 3 kids still at home, my 7 year old and my 10 year old were asleep and then my 17 year old who watched with me. We sat and just watched through the window (Glock in hand). My biggest fear was that one of the kids would have a gun or something and a stray round would catch my family.

At the height of the brawl I honestly thought about putting a few rounds into my yard to scare them away, but I know that is a BAD idea. So I just watched and waited with the wife giving play by play to the Sheriffs office. Well, by 2:30am when the cops FINALLY showed up (yes, 45 min response time) the neighbor and his wife had cleared the street, sent most of the kids home and all was quiet. The deputies drove up the street, shined their lights on the house, blipped the siren and drove off. Great job guys! NOT!

After the cops left I put the Glock in the safe and went to bed. This morning my neighbor offered their apologies and offered to pay for a flower of my wife's that got trampled.

I had a couple takeaways:
1. When you need the cops, they are NOT coming. Get as many guns and as much ammo as you can, and a rifle with 30 round mags is a good choice!
2. I am so glad I had my Glock 23 with 15 round mags (3 of them loaded and ready) over a 5 or 6 shot pocket pistol.
3. My neighbors are morons. I lost a lot of respect for them, they sent a lot of drunk teenagers away from their house, I hope nobody died in a car wreck.
4. Crap can happy anywhere, anytime, even in a semi-rural sleepy lake community.

Thoughts? Comments?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts