Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this link emailed to me, thought I would share this video; apparently the guy had a squib load or two, then slapped in another round on his AR, then KABOOM!

It is also a good reason you use quality ammo as well. Here's the link: (LINK Deleted See Below)
YouTube - M16 Blows up in Kids Face

DC Forum Rules Page
4. As a family-friendly forum, we ask that you keep your language clean, exactly as we hope you would when addressing respected elders. Creative workarounds (the use of special characters to replace some letters) on language are not allowed. Violators of this rule will be warned once; those repeatedly breaking this rule will have their accounts permanently revoked.
NOTE: Links to off site material will be held to our family-friendly standard, as well.

Members can go to YouTube and search the title that I let stay posted.

The VID contains a DC forum language violation and one of the comments posted below is incredibly foul.

So...Mouse copy the title ...go to YouTube - Paste the title - Watch the VID and come back to this thread and comment on the KABOOM.

That way this thread can stay open.

The rules are the rules as per the text in BOLD above.
Sorry....qkshooter

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yup, the dangers of reloads. Got to be attentive and aware. Ruined a fine rifle, not to mention the damage that the guy received. Looked like his hand got hurt.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Yup, the dangers of reloads. Got to be attentive and aware. Ruined a fine rifle, not to mention the damage that the guy received. Looked like his hand got hurt.
I missed that part that said he was shooting reloaded ammunition :confused:

Defective factory ammo is pretty common...I have gotten factory ammo with the primer in backwards... QC isn't that great with bulk ammo I guess.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I missed that part that said he was shooting reloaded ammunition :confused:
Watch it again. The other fellow came up to him when he was having trouble and said something like "you don't know how to load these and he responded that "he didn't load these, Brian did", or something very similar to that... Only watched it once, but that is what I thought I heard anyway.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
ah no sound on this computer. heh:embarassed:

·
Registered
114 Posts
ah no sound on this computer. heh:embarassed:
Got to thinking you might have been at work with in ear shot.. hehe... Started to even question myself, so I had to watch it again... No harm no foul.

Still a nasty event, no matter.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
First clue was that the shooter hit the forward assist like three or four times in a row.

Those watching should have thought hey that is not normal nor even necessary protocol as related to loading and making ready an AR15/M16.
Especially not a firearm that is in good condition as having been clean and not built up with carbon crud or exposed to high dirt/sand conditions.

Even if I had not expected a kaboom in watching the vid his constant use of the forward assist would have defintiely caught my eye as being indicative of there being a technical/mechanical problem with the firearms systems.

Second is he calls out "bad primer" twice, in a row.
That right there is a clue to check all of the ammunition as sourced and to check the gun as well for 1) function and 2) potential obstruction.
Which leads back to his constant use of the forward assist which is not normally required an is a strong indicator of something is not right as related to a gun that otherwise is clean and has not been exposed to high degrees of grit.

Dude did not use his head and think his way through diagnosis of the issue literally in hand.
He just focused on ehh I want to shoot some more boolits and make this thing go bang. :|

- Janq

P.S. - I wonder if the manufacturer will feel bad for him and send the owner a new gun for no reason but feeling bad for their loss(!), even as clearly this is a case of ammunition issue (source) AND operator error, as folk in the past S&W M&P15 gun go boom clearly due to ammo threads had an expectation toward.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree, Janq; he definitely used that forward assist too many times. That indicated to me that he may well have had some OAL (overall length) issues, and he probably didn't do a good job of checking his ammunition before chambering it........

Oh well, a hard lesson learned glad he wasn't hurt.

·
Registered
114 Posts
He was fussing with it a lot wasn't he? Sure sign of impending problems.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
At least he was wearing eye protection, the range probably required it.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I have a friend that just got out of the army,combat wounded that when I showed him some of my AR15 platforms,he apparently was trained in the Army that when he chambered a round to smack the forward assist to make sure the bolt was closed,I was never trained that way,but maybe due to conditions in afghanistan and Iraq they changed.Anytime you have a squib,you need to stop,clear the weapon,and manually inspect the barrel for obstructions,a primer has enough force to lodge a bullet in the barrel

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
He is using the forward assist before he uses the charging handle when he changes magazines. Then he taps the magazine after he releases the bolt/charging handle and uses the forward assist. My guess is that he is not familiar with that platform or is new to shooting.

In response to the comment that I didn't load these, Brian did or whatever. They may have been refering to loading the magazine, or been referring to loading the actual ammunition, it is unclear. It is hard to tell what breaks on the gun. It is clear that the magazine is blown out of the gun, but unclear to me if there is any actual damage to the firearm itself.

This could be a result of bad reloads, bad ammo, or something else, but it does drive home the point of using shooting glasses.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Side item not having to do with the video as related to wearing eye protection.

I wear eye protection when in the field/woods with firearms hunting.
This past Monday I went with two mentors, both are long time professional wildlife biologists, and the third a professional logger who has been hunting since single digit age.

I was the only person to wear eye protection.

Yes we were running shotguns (low chamber pressure) but still between using guns and moving through thick brush and woods among branches and sticks (!) I find and have found eye protection to be a necessary and functional item.

As well I have seen at an IDPA event a SO take a sharp of brass to the lower lip that embedded itself several millimeters deep and caused him to bleed heavily. He had been standing a good 10' away and the far right and still got caught. Thank goodness he too was wearing eye protection.

IMHO whenever any person around me is doing something that could possibly involve my eyes I will reach for eye protection. Here is a guy who wished he'd done same as he got a fish hook caught in his cornea. :|

It's very cheap insurance.

- Janq

·
Registered
114 Posts
Eye protection is cheap insurance. Amen!

·
Registered
152 Posts
don't forget to wear eye protection while cleaning your guns. Just got a nice blast of solvent splashed back out of my 1911 frame onto my eyeglasses. No damage. also think of springs under load. don't want to start learning to shoot with the non-master eye at my age.:wink:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
When I was a teenager, I went shooting with a friend. It was one of my first times shooting a handgun. He handed me a 357 magnum revolver. I accidentally hit the metal hangar and a piece of it flew back and hit me just above the eye. It drew blood, and I'm sure if it had hit me in the eye and I wasn't wearing glasses, I would have lost an eye. Thankfully I was wearing eye protection even though it went above the glasses.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts