Defensive Carry banner

Why do you choose the carry gun you choose?

• Cost

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • Reliability

Votes: 183 74.1%
  • size

Votes: 114 46.2%
  • Weight

Votes: 69 27.9%
  • Looks

Votes: 24 9.7%
  • History of weapon

Votes: 40 16.2%
  • Capacity

Votes: 50 20.2%
  • Ability to use

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • other

Votes: 29 11.7%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have a question about the gun you choose to carry.

WHY do people choose the gun they choose to carry?

Reliability,size,weight,looks,Cal or cost or any other reason you may think of.

I'm not so sure how well a poll like this will work so maybe try to post an explanation with your vote.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Comfort is a factor for me.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
comfort and cocealability are huge factors for me.

·
Registered
41,465 Posts
I chose a Glock 30. I wanted a .45 auto, and the G30 has the capacity (10 rds) and reliability I feel can handle just about any situation I could reasonably expect to encounter.
Plus, the $495 out-the-door price as retired Military was hard to beat. Its small enough to carry yet packs the punch to stop someone. I'd love to own many other makes and models, but as my one carry gun, it fit my needs to a "T."

·
Registered
809 Posts
Reliability - Not negotiable
Size - Concealable but nice to be able to train with at a 600 round class
Capacity - More is more in most cases for me

That's how I chose my Glock 19. I'd do the exact same thing again today if I had it to do over again.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
I voted for 3 on the poll.

-Reliability.....is a MUST
-Weight........is important to me, however I'm opposite from most, I WANT a HEAVY gun!
-Other..........I also love the manual of arms on my gun, including the internal safeties, I HATE external safeties.

My choice was and is a Sig P220R .45 acp

·
Super Moderator
22,274 Posts
Reliability, Ability to use, Other (caliber).

·
Registered
253 Posts
What I carry most is a RIA compact 1911. When I started to carry, knowing almost nothing about guns, I wanted a simple platform that I could trust and have the punch I needed. I originally had a Taurus PT145 and a Kahr CW9 but the triggers were so different and the calibers different, and I wanted to standardize. I went with the 1911. I have a full size one as well as a compact. This has worked out much better as the controls are the same, the bullets are the same, they handle pretty much the same and there is no trying to remember "which gun am I carrying?" OK, the capacity isn't as much as other guns, but if 15 rounds (magazine in gun plus extra) of 230 grain JHP doesn't resolve my situation, then I'm in WAY over my head. :duh:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Cost, looks, and the weapon's history are pretty much at the bottom of the list for me.

I chose reliability, size and weight, and the "ability to use" which I read as ease of use. I bought a SIG.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
all of the above for all 3 carry guns...
taurus pt111
glock 19
glock 30
they all have theyre advantages concealing depending on what i'm wearing...
they all go bang when the trigger is pulled and cycle anything i put through em...

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
In order of importance.

Reliability; If it's not gonna function 100% of the time what good is it.
Comfort;If it's so dang uncomfortable that I can't carry it all day long, then what good is it.
Capacity; Eight is good, but 11 and up is better.

These to me are irrelevant.
Cost; My life and that of my loved ones is more valuable then any pistol on the market and will ever be on the market, so that ones moot.
For me, weight and size fall under the comfort setting, so that's covered under #2.
Looks; ? Ahh, couldn't care any less in that area. I'd say as long as the BG likes the size of the bore. :image035:
History of the pistol; with age comes perfection in most cases, if they're still around I'd imagine it's good to go.

GBK

·
Registered
277 Posts
i choose Taurus PT92C and Ruger SR9 for price and reliability.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Intresting poll.

I chose "other" due to the G23 I carry was recomended to me by a local LEO. I was allowed to shoot his, rented another Glock at a range (along with a handful of other handguns I was considering)..............then I considered all the other 'reasons why' you listed in your poll and made my choice.

The glock was/is a "well rounded" platform, the .40 was a 'proven' caliber, and I'm happy.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Reliability

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
To answer the poll correctly, I had to choose three. Relaibility, Size and weight.

Best!

Craig

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
I selected 'reliability' & 'ability to use’. Granted, I miss my auto-days but circumstance has forced me back into the basics of revolvers.
Regards,

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
Reliability is key, all other is secondary...Glock-36, you can depend upon it.:hand10:

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
All of the above.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts